Diglot
Norway
Joined 5749 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 105 of 265
28 November 2009 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
Hmm can't see the picture, could you try uploading it again? :-)

Edit: "Insufficient privileges"...

Edited by Lizzern on 28 November 2009 at 6:54pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5982 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 106 of 265
28 November 2009 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
Lizzern wrote:
Hmm can't see the picture, could you try uploading it again? :-)

Edit: "Insufficient privileges"...

Yeah, I just fixed that.

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5749 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 107 of 265
28 November 2009 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
Looks about right. The way I write mine now, the circle of the a is a little bigger, and the round part of the e is a bit slanted and not pointed in any direction. I would say it's best to stick with what you're doing rather than teaching yourself to write the one that looks like a modified a - too much room for confusion with that one.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5982 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian

Message 108 of 265
28 November 2009 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
Lizzern wrote:
Looks about right. The way I write mine now, the circle of the a is a little bigger, and the round part of the e is a bit slanted and not pointed in any direction. I would say it's best to stick with what you're doing rather than teaching yourself to write the one that looks like a modified a - too much room for confusion with that one.

I agree. And hooray, I'm finally doing my Swedish vocabulary. :) In my next post, I'll show my translations for this lesson.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5982 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 109 of 265
28 November 2009 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
Okay, I have finally finished learning that gigantic vocabulary list (87 words!) and have done the translations to and from Swedish. Here they are:

Swedish to English
Stockholms centrum är mycket nytt och modernt. Det ligger på Norrmalm, stadsdelen norr om Gamla stan. En vacker sommardag går Kerstin och Erik till Stockholmsterrassen för att äta en lätt måltid och dricka en kopp kaffe. På terrassen sitter de vid ett litet runt bord under ett rött parasoll, för det är mycket varmt i solen. De beundrar utsikten över Stockholms city. Till höger längs Sveavägen ser de en rad höghus. Alldeles under dem ligger Sergels torg, som är huvudstadens hjärta. Banker och varuhus omger torget, där trafiken är mycket livlig. På torget finns en stor rund fontän.
     —Kaffet är verkligen gott, säger Kerstin. Du väljer alltid rätt plats. Sergels torg är sevärt. Vem var förresten Sergel?
     Erik talar om för henne att Segel var en av Europas ledande skulptörer för två hundra år sedan. Ett bra exempel på hans konst är statyn av Gustav den tredje på Skeppsbron. Sergel var en av Bellmans vänner och ritade ibland av honom.
Här är en teckning som Sergel gjorde av vännen.

Stockholm’s center is very new and modern. It lies in Norrmalm, the part of town north of the Old City. On a beautiful summer’s dag, Kerstin and Erik go to Stockholmsterrassen to eat a light meal and to drink a cup of coffee. On the terrace, the sit at a little round table under a red umbrella, for it is very warm in the sun. They admire the view of Stockholm’s city center. To the right along Sveavägen Street they see a row of multistory buildings. Just beneath them lies Sergel’s Square, which is the heart of the capital city. Banks and department stores surround the square, where the traffic is very busy. In the square there is a big round fountain.      
     “The coffee is really good,” says Kerstin. “You always choose the right place. Sergel’s Square is worth seeing. Who was Sergel anyways?"
     Erik tells her that Sergel was one of Europe’s leading sculptors two hundred years ago. A good example of his art is the statue of Gustav III in Skeppsbron. Sergel was one of Bellman’s friends and sometimes made drawings of him. Here is a sketch which Sergel made of his friend.

English to Swedish
The town has a small square. The square is new. Trees and multistory buildings surround a famous old castle in the center of the town. A good example of Swedish art is a beautiful round fountain in Stockholm. Kerstin says that the sandwich is good. He has a good heart. We have a beautiful modern kitchen with a fine view of Skeppsbron. Two hundred years ago Sergel made an interesting drawing of Bellman The castle is not interesting. They are sitting at a little round table admiring a row of houses in the Old Town. Eric always drinks good coffee. A little child told me the house was red. By the way did you see her? Directly beneath them lay a fine road. He had a good apple. The apple was red. I like good food. The sun-umbrella is blue. Did you see a white bear? The lamb is white, but the sheep is black. A beautiful lake lies west of Stockholm. The University of Stockholm is famous. The University of Umea is new. We often go to the square to look at the fountain. Eric said he sometimes has a cup of coffee when he goes to Djurgården. We saw a new bank to the left. Södermalm lies south of the center of Stockholm. A friend of mine lives there.

Staden har ett litet torg. Torget är nytt. Träd och höghus omger ett berömt gammalt slott i cityen. Ett bra exemepel på svensk konst är en vacker rund fontän i Stockholm. Kerstin säger att smörgåsen är god. Han har ett gott hjärta. Vi har ett vackert modernt kök med en fin utsikt över Skeppsbron. För två hundra år sedan ritade Sergel en intressant teckning av Bellaman. Slottet är inte intressant. De sitter vid ett litet runt bord och beundrar en rad hus i Gamla Stan. Erik dricker alltid gott kaffe. Ett litet barn talade om för mig att huset var rött. Såg du förresten henne? Alldeles under dem låg en fin väg. Han hade ett gott äpple. Äpplet var rött. Jag tycker om god mat. Parasollet är blått. Såg du en vit björn? Lammet är vitt, men fåret är svart. En vacker ö ligger väster om Stockholm. Stockholms universitet är berömt. Umea universitet är nytt. Vi går ofta till torget för att titta på fontänen. Erik sade att han ibland har en kopp kaffe när han går till Djurgården. Vi såg en ny bank till vänster. Södermalm ligger söder om Stockholms centrum. En vän till mig bor där.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5982 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 110 of 265
29 November 2009 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
I am extremely happy with myself at the moment. I have FINALLY learned and mastered カタカナ, which I have been semi-struggling with for several months. It must be something about Thanksgiving Break, because I learned ひらがな two years ago over Thanksgiving Break too. And I have just mastered カタカナ this break. It's exciting. It is partly due to the fact that I just sat down and applied myself to do it and I had also promised a friend (who takes Japanese at school and found it silly that I knew almost 300 漢字 but barely any カタカナ) that I would learn it over break. And she is going to undoubtedly test me tomorrow.

So, I can finally write and read all of this:
アイウエオ
カキクケコ
サシスセソ
タチツテト
ナニヌネノ
ハヒフヘホ
マミムメモ
ヤ ユ ヨ
ラリルレロ
ワ   ヲ

And all of the ones based off of those plus the combination ones.

カタカナ = katakana (in katakana)
ひらがな = hiragana (in hiragana)
漢字 = kanji (in kanji)

Ooh, and just because I randomly feel like it, I'm going to list the hiragana base characters here too:
あいうえお
かきくけこ
さしすせそ
たちつてと
なにぬねの
はひふへほ
まみむめも
や ゆ よ
らりるれろ
わ   を

Edited by ellasevia on 29 November 2009 at 5:53pm

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5982 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 111 of 265
30 November 2009 at 6:10am | IP Logged 
I might also mention that last night I accomplished my kanji goal of getting to #290.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5982 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 112 of 265
01 December 2009 at 6:10am | IP Logged 
Well, apparently I didn't study those kanji well enough because I had forgotten many of them by the time I tested them on www.kanji.koohii.com.

Anyways. School started today and I'm glad for it. It makes me feel productive. Usually. This morning, I got up a bit later than I had planned and then had computer issues, so I only got working on my vocabulary and such at around 5:40 this morning. I managed to complete a Portuguese lesson from Ultimate Portuguese and did several Livemocha tutor reviews (where I had to write/speak in Portuguese...plus I get paid!). This took care of two out of three of my goals. My third was to go through my Frequency Dictionary of Portuguese up to #1000 and learn the unknown vocabulary. I had previously gone up through about 500 and marked the unknown words with sticky notes. I managed to type up my words up through several hundred in and then I had to go to school. Later on, I typed a small fake message in Portuguese for a horrible language arts final that I'm doing based on Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist (which I really should have read in the original Portuguese). I have not yet had time with homework and such to finish the frequency list vocabulary. Tomorrow, perhaps?

So, I finished the Michel Thomas Japanese Foundation Course last night, which I HIGHLY recommend. It doesn't give a lot of vocabulary, but that which it did give, I know very well. It also helped me to rapidly form rather complex sentences, like this one:
彼女はすしが好きですから,先週東京の日本 のレストランでお箸で友達とすしを食べなが らご両親と形態で話しました。(kanojo-wa sushi-ga suki desu kara, senshū Tōkyō-no-Nihon-no-resutoran-de o-hashi-de tomodachi-to sushi-o tabenagara go-ryōshin-to keitai-de hanashimashita)

Which roughly translates to...
"Because she likes sushi, last week she ate sushi with chopsticks at a Japanese restaurant in Tokyo with a friend while she talked with her parents on her cell phone."

Literally:
"She-subject sushi-"ga" pleasing it is therefore, last week Tokyo's-Japan's-restaurant-at polite-chopsticks-with friend-by-means-of sushi-object eat-while polite-parents-with mobile-by-means-of spoke"

Complicated looking. But not really.

Anyways, I started the advanced course, which I was rather excited for, but the teacher changed and this new person has some sort of REALLY ANNOYING lisp. GRRR. Why would they do that? I don't know if I'll be able to enjoy or even get through this course because of that.

Oh, and this morning, I learned the word for 'electricity' in Japanese (which for some reason was a momentous event): 電気 (denki)

I learned the characters. The first one means 'electric' and the second one means 'spirit.' I went around and showed that to people today. And I wonder why people think I'm weird..?

Anyways... That's all. Tomorrow: French.

Toodles,

Philip.

This discussion contains 265 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version