Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
265 messages over 34 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 29 ... 33 34 Next >>
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5982 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 225 of 265
30 April 2010 at 5:14am | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:
全然悪くないよ!Just one big mistake. "I wanted to write Japanese" is 日本語を書きたかっ
た rather than 書くほしいでした. Also, I don't understand what you meant by 今日の漢字を
済む.
Otherwise, pretty good. Keep it up! But get some sleep too!!

TixhiiDonさんありがとうございます。

Thanks for pointing out that big error. I haven't actually learned how to say that kind of thing yet, so I just guessed.

As for "今日の漢字を済む" I meant it to say "I will finish today's kanji." Is that incorrectly phrased? If so, how would I say it?
1 person has voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5304 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 226 of 265
30 April 2010 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
I think "I will finish today's kanji" would be 今日の漢字を終わりにする, but now I think
about it I'm actually not sure what would be the most natural way to say it! You may
have to change it a bit and say 今日の漢字の勉強を終わりにする。

Hmm, I'll have to ask someone about that one and get back to you.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5304 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 227 of 265
30 April 2010 at 6:49am | IP Logged 
OK, my reliable native-speaking source says that 今日は漢字の勉強をこの辺で終わりにしよう
is a natural way of saying this. You also get a bit of the vagueness that Japanese
people love so much thrown in for good measure by using この辺で ("around now") and しよ
う instead of する.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5982 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian

Message 228 of 265
30 April 2010 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
Thanks TixhiiDon for that. Unfortunately, that's still a bit too high level for me to understand the structure of it, but it's helpful all the same.

So. I finished my two Ultimate Italian lessons like I said I wanted to. This entire process took maybe half an hour, yet it is about three hours later. Why is this? Oh right, because I am way too distractable and this forum is a goldmine of distractions. [sigh]

I also did my kanji, which was a big part of this whole Japanese message correspondence thing. Here were my new ones for today (#1490):
既, 概, 慨, 平, 呼, 坪, 評, 刈, 希, 凶

I'm going to go to bed now, even though it seems early in comparison with the past few days. I'll be trying to get up a bit early, because I will be going to my grandmother's house for Greek in the morning instead of the afternoon as we don't have school tomorrow, and I would like to squeeze in some language study and/or homework before I go.

On the detailed daily goals sheet that I made for this week, to be up to date for today (Wednesday), I still have to finish the following:
- LGWT lesson 10
- TY Swahili lesson 3
- Ultimate Japanese lesson 15
- Ultimate German lesson 40

As for tomorrow's goals, I think I might have been just a teensy bit unrealistic in these, and for the rest of the weekend. For tomorrow I have listed:
- Kanji to 1500
- Kanji reviews
- Anki reviews
- Νέα Ελληνικά lesson 27
- 1 Odysseas lesson
- Spoken World Swahili lesson 4
- TY Swahili lesson 4
- 1 chapter of Italian Vocabulary
- Type up four Spanish vocabulary lists

Yeah, that's going to happen. I'll try to make it fit but I cannot make ANY promises about it.

I'd like to mention how my Anki reviews have become so much more manageable now that I have significantly reduced the numbers of new words per day. Before I used to have to struggle through nearly 1000 reviews EVERY DAY, but now I usually have only between 200 and 400, which is much better.

Okay, now Anki stats and then off to bed.
お休みなさい!

--フィリップ

ANKI STATISTICS:
ESPERANTO: 1591
FRENCH: 3513
GERMAN: 1843
GREEK: 2004
ITALIAN: 1874
JAPANESE: 754
PORTUGUESE: 2663
SPANISH: 2981
SWAHILI: 368
SWEDISH: 1513

TOTAL: 19,104

Edited by ellasevia on 30 April 2010 at 8:35pm

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5982 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 229 of 265
01 May 2010 at 5:33am | IP Logged 
Today was a semi-productive day, but rather good in comparison with others. Here are some things that I did:

- Anki reviews (almost 400)
- Kanji reviews (over 100)
- New kanji (to #1500): 胸, 離, 殺, 純, 鈍, 辛, 辞, 梓, 宰, 壁
- Νέα Ελληνικά lesson
- LGWT lesson
- 3/4 of TY Esperanto lesson
- Typed up 4 Spanish vocabulary lists
- Typed up 1 chapter from Italian Vocabulary book (and finished off previous one)
- Read through last Ultimate German lesson (on literature)

My parents want me to get off now because my SAT II exams tomorrow are early in the morning, so that will have to be it. I might try to do a little more once I get off tonight and I might have time tomorrow morning before I go to the exam to study.

--Philip

ANKI STATISTICS:
ESPERANTO: 1645
FRENCH: 3513
GERMAN: 1843
GREEK: 2100
ITALIAN: 2034
JAPANESE: 754
PORTUGUESE: 2663
SPANISH: 3061
SWAHILI: 368
SWEDISH: 1513

TOTAL: 19,104

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5982 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 230 of 265
02 May 2010 at 9:27am | IP Logged 
Ugh. This day has been a disappointment. :(

Well, I got up and immediately had to be whisked off to the SAT testing center which was 30 minutes away. So I left my house at 7 in the morning and didn't get back home until almost noon. By then I was feeling tired and not particularly in the mood to do anything. My conclusion was that I would do stuff later and stay up late tonight to make up, but it didn't happen. I also found out that we were going to go to my grandparents' house for dinner, and that also interrupted study plans.

So, what have I done? I have done the following:
- Kanji reviews
- New kanji (#1510): 避, 新, 薪, 親, 幸, 執, 報, 叫, 糾, 収
- Anki reviews (about 450)
- Finish TY Esperanto lesson 11 (decided that my Esperanto was also sufficiently good to be considered basic fluency)
- Typed up 4 lists of Spanish vocabulary
- Translated beginning text of my next SEGR lesson, but am still a bit unsure about some stuff from that (for example, a seemingly irrelevant poem in OLD SWEDISH), so I posted my query in the "Specific Languages" room

Oh, and then I guess you could count the French and Spanish exams as language practice. Both were pretty easy, but the Spanish was noticeably easier. I think it is partly because my Spanish is better in general, but it also seemed to use more simplistic language while the French texts, for example, were much more complicated and advanced structurally and vocabulary-wise. I wonder why this is... Perhaps they assume that American high school students who choose to take Spanish are more dull than those who choose the seemingly more difficult French? Well, my next language exam is on Tuesday for AP Spanish Language. And next year I will probably be taking the AP French Language exam too. Actually, last weekend my former French teacher from last year (who was really good, but resigned--she had been my MOM'S French teacher in high school too) called me and demanded to know why I wasn't taking French 5 next year and made me agree to talk to the current teacher about it... So I sent her an email and we'll see. I plan to take the exam whether or not I take the class, though.

I'm tired now and nothing is going to be accomplished while I'm in this state. So I think that since I slept for a long time last night (I actually naturally woke up at 4:45, but then went back to sleep, because I'm so used to not sleeping for so long) I can get away with only an hour or two tonight. Bleh. I need to work on stuff. Homework and language and other nonsense. I really wish I hadn't gotten distracted on the computer here for THREE (or was it four?) hours just now...

Bonan nokton.

--Philip

EDIT: Ooh, I forgot to mention that I now have new-found respect for Esperanto. I am really coming to like it again, which is nice because I need motivation. I really have to agree with Sprachprofi on that its structure is really very fascinating and well thought-out. Just look at this word which I encountered in my lesson today: manĝilarlavilo. It looks long, but it contains several pieces of information and can be broken down easily like this: manĝ•il•ar•lav•il•o
manĝ- = food, eat
-il- = tool
-ar- = group of
lav- = wash
-il- = tool
-o = thing
So, a tool-thing-for-washing-groups-of-eating-tools? What could this be? A dishwasher!

Edited by ellasevia on 02 May 2010 at 3:45pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6310 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 231 of 265
02 May 2010 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
Way to go! Congratulations on reaching basic fluency in Esperanto!

I'm glad you're starting to see the appeal of this. Soon there will be a point when
you'll look back at a conversation and realize that you just made up a word on the fly
for a concept that you were never able to express before. That is the most awesome
feeling in the world. Here are some beautiful words you can try to understand (spoiler
below):

detaladi ("Mi ne volas detaladi ĉi tiun temon")
pagegi ("Multaj timis pagegi por interkontinenta flugo")
forgesejo ("Dume, en poŝo - malvasta forgesejo")
ventido ("iu ventido eknestas en la hararo de Anna")
fortempiĝi ("Miaj romanoj ne fortempiĝis")
italinde belega ("Italinde belega eldono")
malsekvi ("Ni malsekvu la sagojn al la junulargastejo por trovi la urbocentron")
ĉuvivaj homoj ("Estas trovitaj kelkcent ĉuvivaj homoj")
eldenti ("'Venu pliproksimen, etulinjo!' severe eldentis li")
antaŭdoloro ("En la kapo aperis antaŭdoloro")
forregali ("Li jam forregalis plurajn amatinojn")
preterami ("Junaĝe mi ial preteramis ŝin")
kunlipuloj ("La plej longa kiso daŭris 54 horojn kaj 2 minutojn. La kunlipuloj, geedzoj
Loreta kaj Linas...")
homarano ("Zamenhof sentis sin ne polo aŭ judo sed antaŭ ĉio homarano")

--

SPOILERS:

detaladi: detali = to detail; -ad- = take a long time
    -> to go on and on talking about the details of a topic
pagegi: pagi = to pay; -eg- = big, a lot
    -> pay a very expensive price
forgesejo: forgesi = to forget; -ej- = place
    -> place where you are likely to forget and leave things
ventido: vento = wind; -id- = child
    -> a small movement of air that could not be called "wind" yet but may develop into
one
fortempiĝi: for = away; tempo = time; igxi = become
    -> to be lost/forgotten or similar through the passing of time
italinde belega: itala = Italian; -ind- = worthy; -e = adverb; belega (bel-eg-a) = very
beautiful
   -> (in this case an edition) that's so very beautiful Italy (the publishing country)
can be proud of it
malsekvi: mal- = opposite; sekvi = follow
   -> go in the opposite direction than indicated e. g. by arrows
ĉuvivaj homoj: cxu = whether; viva = alive; homoj = people
   -> people of which you're not sure whether they're dead or alive (e. g. with
reference to some refugees that are brought into a camp in very bad condition)
eldenti: el = out of; dento = tooth; -i = verb in infinitive
   -> to talk through gritted teeth
antaŭdoloro: antaux = before; doloro = pain
   -> pain you feel in anticipation of a dreaded event
forregali: for = away; regali = give as a present
   -> make somebody (in this case girlfriends) leave you by giving inappropriate gifts
preterami: preter = (passing) by; ami = love
   -> love somebody in a way but without actually taking the time to get to know him or
spend time with him
kunlipuloj: kun = with; lipo = lip; uloj = persons
   -> people that have their lips together (from a text about a kissing contest)
homarano: homo = human; -ar- = group, collection; -an- = member; -o = noun
   -> a member of mankind

Edited by Sprachprofi on 02 May 2010 at 10:54am

2 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5982 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 232 of 265
02 May 2010 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
Dankon, Sprachprofi! Mi ne komprenis ĉiajn vortojn ke vi skribis sed Esperanto tre interesas min nun. Mi ne povas skribi Esperante nun ĉar mi aŭskultas Svedan lingvon kaj mi pensas Svede.

So, I have some good and bad news about my studies today.
BAD NEWS: I did not get up at 3:00 like I wanted. I don’t think my alarm clock knows what alarm clocks are supposed to do.
GOOD NEWS: My brother convinced my parents to not make us go on a hike today, so I have more free time! Also, I have already had a nice productive morning and it’s only now 10:00.

I edited my last post to reflect these changes.

So far today I have done the following:
-     Reviewed Anki
-     Learned new kanji (#1520): 卑, 碑, 陸, 睦, 勢, 熱, 菱, 陵, 亥, 核
-     Did my 4 Spanish vocabulary lists
-     Finished Cortina Brazilian Portuguese—that book was not worth getting in my opinion, but I felt like I needed to finish it
-     Reviewed some kanji (I had 102, and I reviewed 22 of them)

So my language goals for the rest of the day are as follows:
-     Finish reviewing kanji
-     Finish Ultimate German lesson
-     Finish TY Swahili lesson 3
-     At least 1 lesson of Ultimate Japanese
-     Finish at least SEGR lesson 13
-     Learn passato remoto tense in Italian

If possible, I’d also like to do a bit more Swahili (since I’ve neglected it for much too long), an Odysseas lesson, finish CD4 of MT Polish, another Ultimate Japanese lesson, and maybe another SEGR lesson. I doubt I’ll be able to fit this all in, but I can try, can’t I?

I’ll report back later with what I’ve gotten done.

~Philip

This discussion contains 265 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version