Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
265 messages over 34 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 32 ... 33 34 Next >>
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5982 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 249 of 265
16 May 2010 at 6:31am | IP Logged 
გამარჯობა!
აი ამ ვერი ჰაფი ბიქაზ აი ჰავ ჯასთ ლერნდ ჰაო თუ რიდ ჯორჯან!

I'm extremely pleased with myself--I now can read ქართული! Above it says hello (gamarjoba, isn't that the best word for hello ever!?) in Georgian and then is just an English sentence transliterated into the Georgian alphabet.

The method I mentioned above was very effective. TixhiiDon, I went into your log and took one of the recent messages from Mari and transliterated it line by line, word by word, letter by letter. It was actually a very nice way to do it because it used nearly every letter in the language. The only two not represented were ღ (gh) and ჰ (h), which I guess aren't very common letters.

I was quite pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to read. I do have a bit of trouble distinguishing between a couple of them still, especially when it's small print. Some of the troublesome letters:
ვ (v), კ (k'), პ (p')
ბ (b), გ (g)
ჟ (zh), უ (u), შ (sh)

It's really just in small print for the first two groups, but I can never remember which is which for the third group, no matter the size. I'll have to work on that.

I should note that I can read all the letters, but can only actually write a few of them. I need to practice more. :)

Anyways, I did finish that Swedish vocabulary too, and now that I've done the Georgian alphabet, I should now do an Esperanto lesson.

Okay, good night!

--Philip

P.S. Uh-oh... Just as I predicted in ruskivyetr's log, as soon as I knew that as soon as I learn the alphabet I would want to move it up in priority on my hit list (medium priority now) and I just ordered Beginner's Georgian by Dodona Kiziria, just to have on hand. However, I wouldn't have ordered it except that I was already buying a Romani book for a friend, so I thought I would tack it on and tack advantage of the free shipping on Amazon since it was over $25. Anyways, that's on the way.
1 person has voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5304 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 250 of 265
16 May 2010 at 7:07am | IP Logged 
That's the first time I've read English transliterated into Georgian. Very cool!

ღ is used a lot but you're correct that ჰ is quite rare.

Good luck with the Kiziria book. It's not comprehensive (for example, it doesn't go into
verbs with direct and indirect object affixes at all), but I found it completely
invaluable as a starter text. It's so user-friendly, and as I mentioned to ruskivyetr, I
really like the fact that she treats Georgian as just another language to learn for
communication with native speakers, unlike most of the textbooks which seem to see it as
nothing more than a linguistic curiosity to be learned for academic purposes alone.

Kounotori
Triglot
Finland
Joined 5184 days ago

136 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Russian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 251 of 265
16 May 2010 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:

- (Finnish) Älä itke ruma lapsi, huomenna ostetaan naamari. - "Don't cry, ugly child, crying won't make you any more beautiful."

Just dropping by to note that the Finnish "proverb" really says "Do not cry, ugly child, tomorrow we'll buy a mask". Ouch...
3 persons have voted this message useful

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5321 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 252 of 265
16 May 2010 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
YAY! Now we can help each other with GEORGIAN :)! I'm sure TixhiiDon will be of much more help than I. However
good Beginner's Georgian is, the DLI Familiariziation course is also good, even though there is no audio available. I'll
be using both in tandem to get more of the language covered. From reading the back of Beginner's Georgian, there
are a lot of holes in the grammar, so hopefully the familiarization course will cover those up.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5982 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian

Message 253 of 265
17 May 2010 at 9:07am | IP Logged 
So tired...

Today has not been very good language study wise. I woke up late because of going to bed late and having woken up early yesterday, and then soon after waking up started on a 6-hour long period of working on a biology project which had been chaotically organized and communicated for my group. It was pretty tiring, and then I had other homework too besides, such as math homework which took over two hours and I didn't even finish. Or that language arts homework which made no sense and I had to eventually just make stuff up for. Or that French homework...

Needless to say, I had very little time to work and was very tired after completing the small fraction of what I had to do. I was able to do my Anki reviews and a couple kanji reviews but still am 60 kanji behind and didn't finish my Esperanto, Portuguese, French, or Swahili lessons. The only other thing I really did was practice reading Georgian some more.

I'm going to go to bed shortly now, but I still need to write my goals for this week (hopefully they can be impressive and reasonable at the same time) and I'd like to start and finish at least the Esperanto lesson.

Sigh. I just have too much to do right now. Only nine more days of school though. Including four days of finals, of which I really only have three, and during the period of which there is very little school time. So really only five days left. :)

I am going to recall that Albanian proverb which I mentioned yesterday, which is just what I have to keep telling myself right now:
Po nuk u turbullua, nuk kthjellohet. - "If it does not get cloudy, it will not get clear."

Well, I suppose I should also do my daily Swedish proverb:
Bättre en fågel i handen än tio i skogen. - "Better [to have] one bird in the hand than two in the wood [bush]."

God natt. Jag hoppas kunna göra många flera tinger den här veckan. Jag har inte gjort någonting på länge. :(

Philip

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5982 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 254 of 265
18 May 2010 at 8:52am | IP Logged 
Just a quick update...

Today I did more Georgian alphabet practice. I did one more transliteration from the Mkhedruli to the Latin
alphabet, and then began to work on one for the other direction. I was pleasantly surprised at how many letters I
could already write without having to try too hard. I got about halfway through the text. I'll do the rest
tomorrow. I noticed that at the beginning of it, my handwriting was REALLY horrible, I mean butchering this
beautiful script. After doing lines and lines of it, though, it's happily much improved. Also, I was actually able to
guess the meaning of a few words/phrases correctly! (TixhiiDon, I the text I was using most recently was your
post about growing vegetables in Tokyo, and I picked up the phrase "როგორა ხარ?" (rogora xar? = how are you)
from it.)

Today was Portuguese day. I think I set too many goals for myself. That and I'm just behind in general. So, I did
several Livemocha tutoring reviews (I've done a bunch in the past few days actually) and entered 150 more
words from my frequency dictionary plus one thematic list (sports) into my Anki list.

Today I finally finished reviewing all of my infernal kanji that had kept stacking up! I also finally made a start at
catching up on learning the new ones. I learned 20 new ones today, to #1610 (琴, 陰, 予, 序, 預, 野, 兼, 嫌, 鎌, 謙,
廉, 西, 価, 要, 腰, 票, 漂, 標, 栗, 遷), even though I should be at #1670 for today. I'll have to do 20 per day up
through Sunday in order to catch up. Ugh. However, I have already reviewed most of the kanji due for today-
today (since it's past midnight), so it's not as bad. A plus side of not having learned a bunch of new kanji the
past week is that the numbers of reviews have gone down. Yay.

It's late, but I am going to try to read through my Esperanto lesson which I still haven't done while in bed. Either I
learn something or I fall asleep, and both are positive occurrences. Tomorrow I'll see about doing that Colloquial
Portuguese lesson sometime during the school day tomorrow. Today was quite literally free work time all day
long, so I got lots done. Unfortunately, I had lots to be done for school, so on most of the occasions I had to opt
for that instead. :(

Okay, I'll come back tomorrow with my updates about ce que j’aurai fait pour mardi, mon jour du français.
:)

Boa noite.

EDIT: Oops, I forgot my Swedish proverb. Here it is:
Bäst att smida medan järnet är varmt. - "[It's] Best to hammer [strike] while the iron is hot."

Edited by ellasevia on 18 May 2010 at 8:44pm

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5982 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 255 of 265
20 May 2010 at 7:07am | IP Logged 
Hello again!
I'll try to make this short and sweet and I'm going to do it now so that I don't have to struggle to write up some nonsensical gloop later on in the evening.

To make everything really short: I haven't done much. Maybe my expectations have just been getting too high (what I've done would probably have been perfectly acceptable at the beginning of the school year), but I seem to keep coming short on my goals.

I have done...
- TY Esperanto lesson 14 (only one lesson left!)
- 1 chapter from French Vocabulary (very long, on animals and nature vocabulary)
- Read through a bit more of but didn't yet finish my Colloquial Portuguese and TY Improve Your French lessons
- All Anki reviews (330 today so far)
- All kanji reviews
- New kanji as of yesterday to #1640: 覆, 煙, 南, 楠, 献, 門, 問, 閲, 閥, 間, 簡, 開, 閉, 閣, 閑, 聞, 潤, 欄, 闘, 倉, 創, 非, 俳, 排, 悲, 罪, 輩, 扉, 侯, 候 (I can't figure out how I did so many, I think I may have inadvertently learned 30 instead of 20 yesterday); I'm currently working on today's 20 kanji

For the rest of the evening I'd like to finish today's kanji (to #1660, but since I apparently did 30 yesterday just to #1650 would be okay too), finish at least either my French lesson or my Portuguese lesson, and at least one of my assigned Italian lessons.

Yay for Mongolian throat singing and other miscellaneous traditional music of Central Asia, the Middle East, and Japan. This sort of music is wonderful and is really good as a background to keep me focused. :D

SWEDISH PROVERBS
1. Bättre fly än illa fäkta. - "[It's] Better to flee than to fight badly."
2. Bättre sent än aldrig. - "Better late than never."

I think that's it. I'll post either tomorrow or Friday with my updates. Morgen werde ich Deutsch lernen και την Παρασκευή θα μελετώ τα ελληνικά. :D

--Philip

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5982 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 256 of 265
20 May 2010 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Yay for Mongolian throat singing and other miscellaneous traditional music of Central Asia, the Middle East, and Japan. This sort of music is wonderful and is really good as a background to keep me focused. :D

You failed me Hanggai! I got distracted for SOOO long and as a result did not get nearly as much done as I wanted and now I am tired. :(

ellasevia wrote:
For the rest of the evening I'd like to finish today's kanji (to #1660, but since I apparently did 30 yesterday just to #1650 would be okay too), finish at least either my French lesson or my Portuguese lesson, and at least one of my assigned Italian lessons.

I did the kanji to 1650. And I read through one Italian lesson and typed up the vocabulary into BYKI and Anki, but I didn't study the vocabulary yet, nor have I done either of those other lessons. Sigh.

Edited by ellasevia on 20 May 2010 at 2:54pm

This discussion contains 265 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version