Tetraglot
Austria
Joined 6980 days ago

146 posts - 170 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, ItalianB1
Studies: French, Hungarian, Esperanto, Czech

Message 75 of 119
23 July 2011 at 11:39am | IP Logged 
Szia Zsófi! Lászik hogy tökjó időt tölsz Magyaroszágon :-) Én is egyszer nyári egyetembe jártam, de én Szombathelyen voltam. Az nagyon tetszett!
Sók sikért a tanulással kivánok, és minden jó a baratoddal is!

2 persons have voted this message useful

The Stephen
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4996 days ago

65 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Czech, Hungarian

Message 76 of 119
26 July 2011 at 2:39am | IP Logged 
Szia, Zsófi!

Itt Ístvan. I've recently decided to start back up with my Hungarian studies, and was wondering how you were doing. It sounds like you're doing a lot better than I have been, despite your recent troubles with your boyfriend. I didn't know you were so advanced with Hungarian. I'm a bit jealous of you being able to stay there and take an intensive class. I guess you don't need me to tell you to keep it up (although I just said it anyway).

I also didn't realize you were still studying so much English. It's easy to forget you're not a native speaker. However, if you don't mind, I will try to be helpful and fix a couple of things :)

Kisfroccs wrote:

I didn't go to class Friday (as I said) or Monday either. I wanted to go to the (or some if you don't mean any particular caves) caves, but once I got to Buda castle, the entry price was 2000 Ft, which was too much for me. It's amazing, last time I was at the Castle, it was 3 years ago and now it has completely changed. Every time I went to Budapest this last year, a lot of things were changed (this one is hard, your way was actually fine I think). I'd better take some photos...

Over the last couple of days, my understanding of Hungarian has improved immensely. I don't know if it's because of my emotional state that I'm more aware of things, or why, but I definitely (I think "definitively" is technically correct too, but sounded weird in this case) feel it. Particularly my reading, but I also have no more problems understanding directions or questions in shops and cafés. It's clear that if I'm not listening closely, I will have problems understanding it, but one thing I noticed is (don't need the comma) that "eavesdropping" (you don't really need those "" marks) accidentally, I could understand the main theme of what they were discussing.

Also it seems that I've become almost completely "Hungarian". Since a week ago, I've never been approached as a tourist or as a foreigner. Everyone assumes I'm Hungarian. That means a lot to me and is areally nice feeling. Once in a café I ordered (you don't need the "it happened" part) everything in Hungarian just after (didn't need "and") speaking with my mother in German (with a NRW accent). I could see the really huge question marks in the eyes of the waiter. I don't think he was (sounds better to negate "think" and not "was" here, I'm not sure why :)) sure if I was Hungarian, German or... what ? :)

A displeasing thing happened though, but I only can blame myself. I was in the metro and everytime I got controlled up until now, there no problem, I have my monthly student travel ticket. But this time there were special controllers. Normally they just glance (careful mixing tenses) at it and it's okay. And they just do it there standing at the entry. Now, these kind of controllers were at the exit, controlling and really controlling. Means I had to pay a huge fine (6000 Ft) because I couldn't prove I was a student as I forgot my student card at home. I felt a bit sorry for the guy, because he was doing his job, an unpleasant job, and was really looking sorry, but who likes to pay a fine ? :)

My boyfriend and I have had a lot of rows these last few days. Yesterday we came to a sort of understanding, both had assumed something about the other that was not necessarily true. But the most important thing in this story is (don't need a comma there) that we were both really afraid to lose our friendship. It's a deep friendship, based on mutual respect and love. That was also a reason why I was feeling so down, because I had the feeling I would lose everything with breaking up, not only my boyfriend, but also someone I could rely on, someone I could tell my deepest fear and my secret dreams.

This is probably why my Hungarian wasn't affected by our breaking up. We had to sort things out, and will have to, but luckily enough, it isn't a relationship in which you will never see the person again.

I know I talk a lot about this, but my Hungarian and my love for Hungary started because of this. I don't think I can study a language where I haven't any connections with the country anymore...

Take care !

Zsófi

I hope that helps!

And I know that this isn't your main focus right now, but how do you go about studying Croatian? What programs/books do you use? I had family from Montenegro and was thinking about taking it on at some point to "get in touch with my roots", so to speak.

Minden jót,

Az Ístvan
3 persons have voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5293 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 77 of 119
26 July 2011 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
Kisfroccs wrote:
With my 'boyfriend' we had a lot of rows the last days. Yesterday we came to a sort of understanding, both had assumed something other about each other what was not necessarily true. But the most important thing of all this story, is that we were both really afraid to lose our friendship. It's a deep friendship, based on mutual respect and love. That was also a reason why I was feeling so down, because I had the feeling to lose everything with breaking up, not only my boyfriend, but also someone I could rely on, someone I could tell my deepest fear and my secret dreams.

This is probably why my Hungarian wasn't affected by our breaking up. We had to sort things out, and will have to, but luckily enough, it isn't a relationship in which you will never see the person again.

I know I talk a lot about this, but my Hungarian and my love for Hungary started because of this. I don't think I can study a language where I haven't any connections with the country anymore...

Take care !

Zsófi
Sorry to hear about you and your boyfriend, but it's great that you managed to come to a mutual understanding and will continue your friendship.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5353 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 
Speaks: French*, German*, EnglishC1, Swiss-German, Hungarian
Studies: Italian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 78 of 119
27 July 2011 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
-

Edited by Kisfroccs on 27 August 2014 at 11:28pm

Chung
Diglot
Joined 7100 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 79 of 119
27 July 2011 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
Gratulálok, Zsófi!

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5353 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 
Speaks: French*, German*, EnglishC1, Swiss-German, Hungarian
Studies: Italian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 80 of 119
29 July 2011 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
-

Edited by Kisfroccs on 28 August 2014 at 11:41am

This discussion contains 119 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version