Diglot
Australia
Joined 5510 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 57 of 77
31 March 2011 at 1:27am | IP Logged 
All the best with the Íslenska ruskivyetr, another alluring tongue which appeals to me greatly. One of the best
things about Icelandic, apart from it being most beautiful, is that there are so many great musicians there who
utilise their language. So if you are a fan of good music, you should be well satiated.

Here's a singer who I saw a few months ago, she was incredible. Her newest album is sung in both English and
Icelandic.

Ólöf Arnalds - Innundir Skinni

And lastly, here's a website where you can check out some other Icelandic musicians and see what's happening in
the Icelandic and Scandinavian music world. Icelandic Music

Gangi þér vel!
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 58 of 77
02 April 2011 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
I am really sorry that you have not been well, but happy to hear that you are recovering.

Icelandic is not only the language of my ancestors (Old Norse is very similar to Icelandic) it is also the language of a large part of my family. One of my mother's uncles went to the Faroe Islands and had 3 kids, and when his wife had a fourth kid 10 months after he left for a long see voyage he moved to Iceland where he had 10 kids with his second wife. A couple of generations later, his grandchildren and great grandchildren make a sizable chunk of the Icelandic population.

Wish you all the best for both language studies and health!
2 persons have voted this message useful

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5425 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 59 of 77
03 April 2011 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Solfrid Cristin!

And thank you Vos! I really liked that song :).

Well I am feeling much better, and I can't imagine that I can get worse as time goes on. I have another
appointment sometime this week (a check up). Despite having put my languages on hold for this week, I
managed to get some Icelandic done. Entered the vocabulary from the first lessons of both Colloquial
Icelandic and Beginner's Icelandic. I FINALLY have gotten the orthography...except there's a HUGE problem.
My previous knowledge of Swedish pushes me to pronounce words with a Swedish accent. For example, I am
inclined to pronounce ekki with the same intonation and pitch as "inte". This may be due to the fact that I've
barely exposed myself to the audio, however today will change that. The good news is that Icelandic is
already crystal clear in writing and grammar. For some reason, the grammar just sticks like glue. Even with
Swedish or Dutch (both Germanic languages I've studied) I've had to concentrate and really drill certain
points of grammar (not so much with Swedish). Perhaps later I will write a little something in Icelandic
(introducing myself, etc.). I have to do some Latin and Greek homework, so I'll have to wait to do my
languages after that, however that will only take about an hour.

It's so nice to be back with my languages :)!

Edited by ruskivyetr on 03 April 2011 at 5:06pm

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5425 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 

Message 60 of 77
03 April 2011 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
I'm going to write a little something in Icelandic, introducing myself, etc. It won't be very good, but I just want
to write something :).

Ég heiti Ruskivyetr. Ég er núna heima með minni fjölskyldu. Ég er að læra íslensku! Ég vil fara til Íslandi um
sumarfrí.

I know it's short and probably awful, but it just excites me that I can write at least SOMETHING in Icelandic :). (I
only had to look up 'um' and a the formation of the feminine dative).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Magdalene
Diglot
United States
Joined 4980 days ago

119 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, German, Modern Hebrew, French

Message 61 of 77
20 April 2011 at 9:28am | IP Logged 
Cześć ruskivyetr! Just popping in to say hi and to congratulate you on your first sentences in Icelandic. Even though they're "short
and probably awful" (gawd I know the feeling; my first sentences in Polish were nothing to write home about either), it's a great
first step. Onward and up! :D

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5425 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 

Message 62 of 77
09 June 2011 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
Ok, I have some major explaining to do.

I haven't studied any of my languages for a while. School has literally killed me. I have been having the worst
last few weeks.

Good news, I will be continuing my studies on June 21st, which is when school will finally be DONE. I'm so
happy. I will be reporting as much as possible on my studies, etc.

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5425 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 

Message 63 of 77
20 July 2011 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
To anyone who is still reading this log:

My language studies have suffered severely this year. From the beginning of 2011, I've been drained of all
energy and time, and I simply could not manage more than a few languages. I don't know how I'm going to be
able to manage anything going into my next year of school, but I'm hoping to put off some time on
weekends, and during free periods to study and do Anki.

Let's just say this is a fresh start, and I will make my goals clear once more, and how I wish to accomplish
them.

So on to the important stuff:

Deutsch: I wish to reach a C1 level by the end of the year, and I plan to do so by completing "Mastering
German Vocabulary", and "German Grammar Drills". I have been entering sections of the vocabulary book at a
steady rate of about 3 sections per week, and I hope to increase the speed of consumption of vocabulary over
time. I plan on completing the grammar book by the end of the summer, so I have about a month to do that.
I'm on Chapter 9, and I've been doing exercises and reading through what is important, although I do not
think it will last me too long. In September, I will purchase Schaum's Outline of German Grammar, complete it
in full, and hopefully simultaneously READ through Hammer's German Grammar. The reason I say read, is
because it is a big book. I don't think I'd be able to practice every single construction it provides me with,
although I'd be happy to find another grammar book out there that could help me accomplish the mastery of
German grammar in totality (even though I already have, I wish to fill in holes and feel more confident with
my skills). I remember such a book being available at my library, so perhaps I will poke around there. I have
also been watching a lot of movies this summer, so perhaps I could fit a few German films in there, although
it would most likely be subtitled, so I don't see how it would help. I also want to finish at least one book in
German before the summer, so we'll see how far I get with that.

Русский: My new goal for Russian is B2 by the end of the year. I feel as if I haven't studied Russian in forever.
From the last I remember, I studied up to Lesson 8 with Princeton Russian. I intend to review and continue,
moving through at a pace of about 3 lessons a week. I also kind of want to go through Ultimate Russian at
the pace of 1 lesson a week, so we'll see how that goes, although i don't know if it's the best decision. Once
I'm done with the first year of Princeton Russian, I intend to go through the second year, while simultaneously
going through Schaum's Russian Grammar and a vocabulary book, however Ultimate Russian and Princeton
Russian will have to suffice for now.

Polski: My new goal for Polish is high A2, low B1 by the end of the year. I need to review up to Lesson 4 of
Spoken World Polish, and after that I think I'm going to go through it at the pace of about 2 lessons a week.
Some good news about Polish is that I will be learning with my little sister now, so we can motivate each
other. We actually have a lesson planned for tomorrow. After that, I'll see what there is for Polish materials,
and then get started.

All other languages, I have decided to drop. I don't have time for them, and I feel like I'm wasting my time in
pretending I can study them. I still take Ancient Greek at school, although I have stopped with Latin. I must
review vocabulary for Ancient Greek before I begin the school year, so I may or may not keep my log up to
date with that.

I MAY do a 6WC with Georgian (I think there's one for August, I don't know the rules, but I intend to find out
whether or not it is possible). I just keep thinking about it, and I can't bring myself to not peek at my
Georgian books when I get the chance and just marvel at the language itself, so we'll see where that goes, but
no promises.

So this is my minimalist log. I hope to just get through the rest of the year, and accomplish as much as
possible.

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5425 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 

Message 64 of 77
26 July 2011 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
7/25/11

Well I can honestly say I've made a lot of progress in these past few days.

Русский: I completely reviewed Chapter One of Princeton Russian (up to lesson 8), and then I learned
everything from the rest of the Chapter. I hope to start tonight on Chapter 2 :D. I hope to be at least at
Lesson 20 by the end of the week, and since I have a bunch of time scheduled to do so, I'm sure I can get it
done :D. I decided I don't want to use Ultimate Russian.

Deutsch: I reviewed mostly vocab these past few days, although I've been reading through some grammar,
just trying to get through it without falling asleep. I know everything and understand it, although sometimes
certain constructions slip my mind. I really don't care to do exercises from German Grammar Drills anymore,
so I'm looking for a new grammar book that I can start with. I am officially done with GGD. I'm torn on which
books to start reading. Most of the books I have are translated FROM English (one is from Swedish, and one is
from Danish), but I'm still willing to read them. I just don't know which ones to start with, so I'm still
searching for that right book.

Polski: I managed to review most of the vocab from the first few lessons of Spoken World, although I want to
redo all of the exercises, and review all of the audio, just to be safe. My sisters birthday called for my
grandmother to come and visit, so I got to speak to her in Polish, and I was surprisingly okay with her going
on and on and on.

I decided to start the August 6WC, although not with Georgian (the language I had already intended). I have a
Norwegian friend at school with whom I'd often converse with a mixture of Swedish/English, although he'd
often get confused seeing as how he grew up here. My goal for the 6WC is to get to a conversational level of
Norwegian before the school year, and expand on that in the two weeks left of the 6WC. There's a chance I
might include it on next year's TAC :).

Edited by ruskivyetr on 26 July 2011 at 3:03am

This discussion contains 77 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version