Joined 5294 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 25 of 68
31 May 2011 at 6:10am | IP Logged 
happy# wrote:
i think if u really like a thing ,u shoud not care about others opinions
.if u believe thhat can help u ,then u can persist it.on the other hand ,i think learning
language is a happy thing ,it can help our career and it also can help us make more
friends from different countries,we will feel happy through the learning process.i think
this is the most important.

You should know how to spell, especially if you are from Canada. Txt speak is really
frowned on here.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Rameau
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6057 days ago

149 posts - 258 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanC1, Danish
Studies: Swedish, French, Icelandic

Message 26 of 68
31 May 2011 at 7:51am | IP Logged 
Ah, I'm pretty sure our friend is not a native English speaker, current place of residence aside. Just because I'm standing in a vegetable garden at the moment doesn't mean I'm a potato, after all.
3 persons have voted this message useful

LebensForm
Austria
Joined 5000 days ago

212 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: German

Message 27 of 68
31 May 2011 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
Matheus wrote:
I'm not learning German, but I have a friend who is learning it. He told me that when someone asks him this question, he says "I like German girls". This is not his true reason, but it seems to work.

Maybe, then I could just say "I like German boys." haha, and it's true, I do!

And Happy, I agree, it doesn't matter what others think, I was just curious about if anyone else who was learning German, or even something else, had any similar experiences? It doesn't bother me, it really doesn't, because I am learning the language for me and only me. Ach, I get so tired of having to provide a justification for what I'm curious about...

Edited by LebensForm on 31 May 2011 at 10:26pm

1 person has voted this message useful

lauren3991
Scotland
Joined 4876 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: German, French

Message 28 of 68
31 May 2011 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
I wouldn't say I get criticised for it but I do get adults asking why I'm going to study German and French at uni instead of Spanish and French. Simple answer: my school never taught Spanish. Maybe if my school had taught Spanish and French, that would be my degree choice. I don't think I could love Spanish as much as I do German, though.

And yeah, I do get the "German is so HARSH" stuff. I think it's lovely. :)

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6322 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 

Message 29 of 68
31 May 2011 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
I wouldn't listen to people. Most native English speakers have absolutely no valuable
opinions about anything and have formed their opinions on languages based on caricatures
they have seen portrayed in their brain-dead TV shows and Hollywood movies.

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5050 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 30 of 68
01 June 2011 at 2:48am | IP Logged 
I've received questions about why I want to learn French instead of Spanish. I'm trying to think of a polite, but condescending way to say "why don't YOU learn Spanish."

If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears (or eyes).

I honestly couldn't care less. I want to learn a language because I like it, not because "The Chinese are taking over the world," "Mexicans are taking over America," etc.

Edited by Darklight1216 on 01 June 2011 at 2:50am

LebensForm
Austria
Joined 5000 days ago

212 posts - 264 votes 

Message 31 of 68
01 June 2011 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
lauren3991 wrote:

And yeah, I do get the "German is so HARSH" stuff. I think it's lovely. :)

Ya, I like that too. It's very sexy language in my opinion.
But "strong" as well =)

michi
Nonaglot
Austria
Joined 5251 days ago

33 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, German, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese
Studies: Turkish, Arabic (Written), Serbo-Croatian, Indonesian, Japanese

Message 32 of 68
02 June 2011 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
In the Netherlands, where I was born, there has always been a strong tradition of learning German because the similary of the languages and the closeness of Germany. Holland is probably be the country in the world where the highest percentage of people have learned it as a foreign language. And in high school it is still an obligatory subject. On the other hand is still has a bit a reputation of being a rough language and the language of the enemy during the Second World War.

However I don't think this is the case with everybody. My father has always loved the German language, even though he has been a forced labourer in Germany during the war. Personally I have always liked to learn and speak German. It was familiar to me, because went on holiday in Austria and finally I have even moved to Vienna, where I have been living for more than 20 years now.

This discussion contains 68 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version