Groupie
United States
Joined 4969 days ago

54 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 33 of 68
06 June 2011 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
I get people whose knee jerk reaction to the word "German" seems to be hacking and spitting to show how skilled they are at the language. I just raise a brow and let them finish making a fool out of themselves, then I pleasantly quip, "No, actually that is just Americans trying to speak German."

Edited by PonyGirl on 06 June 2011 at 4:43am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5517 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 34 of 68
06 June 2011 at 7:28am | IP Logged 
I once got called a Nazi for studying Russian and wearing an ушанка (ushanka). That kind of put any further criticism of my language study habits into perspective. For every jerk who has a negative opinion of you studying German, there are a thousand German speakers who would congratulate and encourage you for taking an interest in their language.

Edited by Levi on 06 June 2011 at 7:35am

1 person has voted this message useful

LebensForm
Austria
Joined 5000 days ago

212 posts - 264 votes 

Message 35 of 68
06 June 2011 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
Levi wrote:
For every jerk who has a negative opinion of you studying German, there are a thousand German speakers who would congratulate and encourage you for taking an interest in their language.

And this is true, I've been talking to some people from Germany now, and they do appreciate me wanting to learn German, considering the American stereotype is to be lazy and not learn a 2. language. Sometimes I wish I didn't live in America lol. And my bf just doesn't understand, he doesn't speak German and I kind of think he wished I didn't either... considering there are times I would rather study German than make love to him ^_^ But I haven't been tot criticized about German lately. And ya, the whole hacking and spitting thing, they do make a fool of themselves and I find it rather interesting to hear the harsh sound of ignorance.

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5033 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 36 of 68
07 June 2011 at 8:27am | IP Logged 
Levi wrote:
I once got called a Nazi for studying Russian and wearing an ушанка (ushanka).

Ha, I knew The Simpsons have not made this up.
2 persons have voted this message useful

cokate08
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5797 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Russian

Message 37 of 68
09 June 2011 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
When people find out I study German, they often criticize the language, but don't usually have much problem with it--they figure it's justified because they know Bavaria's beautiful. I used to get annoyed about it, but the German criticism is nothing compared to what I've received since I started studying Russian. I've actually had people tell me that I should give it up.

Phantom Kat
Diglot
United States
Joined 5013 days ago

160 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Finnish

Message 38 of 68
14 June 2011 at 3:40am | IP Logged 
I plan to study German in college (might dabble into it before college starts), and the only criticism I received was from my mom, who said with something of a gasp, "But isn't German one of the hardest languages to learn?" I found it funny considering I'm studying Finnish and she wants to one day learn Mandarin Chinese. Other than that, I've never gotten any criticism. apart from the, "Why German?" question.

- Kat

Edited by Phantom Kat on 14 June 2011 at 3:41am

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5716 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 39 of 68
14 June 2011 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
Phantom Kat wrote:
I plan to study German in college (might dabble into it before
college starts), and the only criticism I received was from my mom, who said with
something of a gasp, "But isn't German one of the hardest languages to learn?" I found
it funny considering I'm studying Finnish and she wants to one day learn Mandarin
Chinese. Other than that, I've never gotten any criticism. apart from the, "Why
German?" question.

- Kat

I've not ever really had the impression that German is particularly hard. It came as a
surprise, then, when I was at a career event at uni a few weeks ago and I was asked
which languages I speak besides Russian which is (or was, as I'm finished now, wow...)
my major at uni. I mentioned having studied French for more years than I care to
remember and Slovene, but the one most people were impressed with was German. One of
the representatives from one of the companies was German, and I impressed the hell out
of my dad by conducting the entire 15 minute-ish conversation in German. I've always
thought that if people were going to be interested in the languages at all, Russian
would be the one which got the most praise, then Slovene would be mentioned as being an
odd choice, but I never banked on German as getting so much interest.

LebensForm
Austria
Joined 5000 days ago

212 posts - 264 votes 

Message 40 of 68
15 June 2011 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
Phantom Kat wrote:
I plan to study German in college (might dabble into it before college starts), and the only criticism I received was from my mom, who said with something of a gasp, "But isn't German one of the hardest languages to learn?" I found it funny considering I'm studying Finnish and she wants to one day learn Mandarin Chinese. Other than that, I've never gotten any criticism. apart from the, "Why German?" question.

Ya I would think Mandarin Chinese is a bit harder than German... thank God I am learning German! And ya I get asked the why German question to by people, but then again that is where my roots are, so I can always use that as a answer... but like others say I really do not need to justify my reason for learning German, it is just an awsome language!! Personal bias.

This discussion contains 68 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version