Joined 4972 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: Korean*

Message 1 of 26
02 June 2012 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
---There is no human language that a human being cannot learn---
---Panglots must be baptized in many waters----

Acquiring a language is developing a set of new habits

--Studying a language is different than studying mathematics, history, physics or any other subjects.
--We should not study a language in the manner we study other subjects.
--The core of language learning is to become accustomed to its contents. It is that of forming a set of new habits.
--This is why if you do not know a language, it is the most difficult thing in the world to learn, but once you have become accustomed to it, it becomes the easiest thing in the world for you and you wonder why such an easy thing was so difficult before and why you did not know it before.
--I would therefore rather spend three months in an immersion environment and acquire a new language through much experiences and habit forming interactions than spend several years studying about it in the manner of studying other subjects.
--This is why we need not only passion but also wisdom, or sound and effective method, to learn and acquire a new language.
--This is why there is such a wide gap in the results from the efforts put into foreign language learning. Some people might have put in ten years to learn a language and not have acquired a working conversational ability in that language, while someone who had spent just a month acquires a better working conversational ability in the same language. This is an over-simplified generalization of the multifaceted complex matter of language learning, but reflects and explains one crucially important aspect of it.
--Learning or acquiring foreign languages must incorporate certain aspects of immersion, whether by actually being in the target country or by creating certain elements of immersion through various learning methods and approaches.

--Learning a language is like learning to swim. You must get into the water to learn swimming. Immersion is the water, the pool. It is up to you what you want to do with it.
--You can live in a foreign country for many years and not put yourself into the water.
--Thus there is a need to develop effective immersion learning method and strategy.
--Immersion experiences will try all your theories, conceptions and misconceptions about how to learn a language in the fire of cold reality. You will come out with a much more realistic sense of what you are made of and what methods and approaches are actually working or not working for you.
--It is this animalistic sense of the reality of language learning which will guide you even when you are learning languages in your very home.

--I have posted another thread dealing with effective immersion method and strategy.
What is an effective immersion method?

Edited by futurianus on 02 June 2012 at 8:03pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4628 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 2 of 26
02 June 2012 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
Immersion can be wonderful for learning a language. Unfortunately, many people's lives don't really allow for it. So for us, there is "study."
3 persons have voted this message useful

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4972 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 

Message 3 of 26
02 June 2012 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
Immersion can be wonderful for learning a language. Unfortunately, many people's lives don't really allow for it. So for us, there is "study."

I am also not able to go to another country for immersive learning nowadays and thus we are in the same boat.^^

Edited by futurianus on 02 June 2012 at 9:12pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4972 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 

Message 4 of 26
02 June 2012 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
This thread will put the focus on the habit formation.
The other thread will focus more
--on how one can maximize learning opportunities while being in a foreign country and
--on how one who cannot travel to other country can simulate and transport the elements of immersion environment, which are conducive to language acquisition, into one's methodologies and approaches for learning foreign languages right from one's home.

I feel that the two concepts must be somehow incorporated into our approach: habit and immersion. How can we incorporate the elements of immersion and how can we change the manner of our learning endeavor from 'study' to habit formation?

Thus these two threads, though fittingly separated, will be mutually informing each other.

Edited by futurianus on 02 June 2012 at 10:53pm

1 person has voted this message useful

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4972 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 

Message 5 of 26
02 June 2012 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 

Have you listened to a song that you liked over and over again?
Was there any song that you tried to learn?
After giving yourself over to the rhythm of that song's beat and poetry over and over, did you find that somehow that song's melody and rhythm got stuck in your brain and heart?
And even found yourself humming that song effortlessly and sometimes even unconsciously?

Did you ever think about how you have learned that song?
Did you ever wonder about what a marvelous mechanism was in operation in your brain and body to make that song a part of your mind and heart?

That song has become assimilated into you.
You have become habituated to that song.
So effortlessly and so naturally....

This is the mechanism within our system which our scientists will unlock the secrets of sooner or later.
This is the mysterious power within us that enables us to sing, listen, talk, dance and drive so naturally and effortlessly.
This is the power of habituation.

As a language learner and as someone who is committed to panglotism(Panglot and Panglotism: new type of polyg), an extreme form of translingual language acquisition, I am very interested in the phenomena of Wendy Vo(Vietnamese girl speaks 11 languages) and Mabou Loiseau(5 Years old Mabou Loiseau Speak 7 Langs), two young globalglots, who have naturally assimilated and is acquiring quite a number of languages from different language families.
Now this has to do with the language acquisition of children in general, and with foreign language acquisition of children more specifically.

Habit formation and these new generation of polyglots.....
These two are also music lovers and performers.
Is there a connection among them?
Habit, music and languages.....

I advice again the online language, education and scientific community to pay more attention to these kids as they bring great gifts to all language learners.
It behooves us to find, discover and accept the preciousness of those gifts.
Are they not the very incarnation of all those holy grails that so many language learners have been searching after?
All those magical methodologies and approaches....
They are right here, so near in front of us, in the section on the polyglots!
Hidden and unappreciated, but such precious pearls....

Did they study languages?
Or did they acquire them?

What is the primary difference between how they learned their languages and how many of us have been learning languages?
What is the role of habit in their acquirement of their languages?

Edited by futurianus on 08 June 2012 at 6:57am

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5729 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 6 of 26
02 June 2012 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
tl;dr
5 persons have voted this message useful

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4972 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 

Message 7 of 26
03 June 2012 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
tl;dr

tyt
5 persons have voted this message useful

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4972 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 

Message 8 of 26
03 June 2012 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
from What is an effective immersion method?
Quote:

I may have to sometimes coarsely express myself, skip much explanations, somewhat disorganized with my delineations and ramblings, not correct misspellings and typos to keep my time for writing short.

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version