2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 97 of 133
17 September 2012 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
2012-09-16 Sonntag|søndag
14:02 16/09/2012

Dansk

CC days=35 cn=30=tredive (tredivte). This has a funky pronunciation, which thanks to
Louise, I know.
>10 words word-listed. I found myself picking up words from units 10 and 11, and also
from the back of the book, more or less at random, and also studying the grammar points
& dialogues in those units while I was at it. I'll have to be more systematic, but it
was enjoyable.

Listened to and read ch. 8-12 of "Kvinden i Buret".

Deutsch

Listened to ch. 8-12 of "Erbarmen". For some chapters, read the German text as well,
but not at the same time, as the audio seems to be abridged, and it's too confusing
trying to keep them in step. That's ok though. I'm getting a more complete idea of the
story from the German text; then I hear a native speaker pronouncing at least 80-90% of
the same words, then I go on to L-R the same chapter in Danish. Seems like a reasonable
approach, at least when I have time for all those steps.

Edit: [Note correction to "tredivte"]

Edited by montmorency on 14 October 2012 at 10:11pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6647 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 98 of 133
18 September 2012 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
DanskCC days=35 cn=30=tredive (tredivende). This has a funky pronunciation, which thanks to Louise, I know.

30 = tredive: /træδvö/   (soft d and a schwa sound at the end)

den 30. = den tredivte: /træδftö/ (notice that v is replaced by f)

Sometimes the spelling "tredvte" is used, mostly by people who can't spell. The word "tredivende" doesn't exist in modern Danish, but it was used in the 18. century by for instance Holberg (who actually came from Norway, but lived in Denmark).

Edited by Iversen on 18 September 2012 at 12:58pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 99 of 133
18 September 2012 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
montmorency wrote:
DanskCC days=35 cn=30=tredive
(tredivende). This has a funky pronunciation, which thanks to Louise, I know.

30 = tredive: /træδvö/   (soft d and a schwa sound at the end)

den 30. = den tredivte: /træδftö/ (notice that v is replaced by f)

Sometimes the spelling "tredvte" is used, mostly by people who can't spell. The word
"tredivende" doesn't exist in modern Danish, but it was used in the 18. century by for
instance Holberg (who actually came from Norway, but lived in Denmark).

Thanks Iversen. I suppose I am in good company then! :-)
But that was careless of me. Although not many ordinals are given in the TYS book, that
one is, and I should have checked. I must have been extrapolating from tyvende. If in
doubt, I have usually been checking with a dictionary, but it seems I slacked off.

I will correct where I have written it above (if I can), in case anyone only looks
there, and doesn't spot your correction, and goes off with the wrong version!

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 100 of 133
18 September 2012 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
2012-09-17 Montag|Mandag
12:03 17/09/2012

Dansk

CC days=36 cn=31=enogtredive (enogtredivte)

Word-listed from the vocab at the end of the book; 2-3 pages I'm finding roughly 4% of
words there I don't seem to have met before, although I've met variations in some
cases.

Listened to and read chapters 13-14 of "Kvinden i buret".

Bought the e-book for "Fasandræberne", to have one lined up! Another smooth transaction
with "Mibook", who seem to be cheapest, or cheapest I can easily find. They have
"Flaskepost fra P" (no. 3 in the series) in e-bog and lydbog, but only have the lydbog
and not the e-bog for "Journal 64", and I can't see the e-book anywhere. (Same applies
to "Naiv. Super" btw). Perhaps I should get the lydbog while I can see it in case that
disappears.

Deutsch

Read and then listened to chapters 13-14 of "Erbarmen". ~Later: ch. 15.

Edited by montmorency on 18 September 2012 at 3:14pm

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 101 of 133
19 September 2012 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
2012-09-18 Dienstag|tirsdag
11:10 18/09/2012

Dansk

CC days=37 cn=32=toogtredive (toogtredivte)

Word-list revision and new lists from the back of the book.

Listen-read "Kvinden i buret".

We have talked about dreaming in non-native languages in one's sleep, but the other
night, I was not dreaming in another language, but dreaming that I was studying another
language, probably word-listing in Danish, probably because that's what I was doing
before I went to sleep. Then last night, or a waking dream this morning, I dreamed I
was trying to remember the Danish (more or less) equivalent of "Gegenstand", but
couldn't ... (genstand(en) (object), or brugsgenstand (object of everyday use)).

Worked out (with help of dictionary naturligvis!) that "Fasandræberne" means "pheasant
killers"! The German and English translators have gone for abstract nouns
("Erbarmen|Mercy", "Schändung|Disgrace", "Erlösung", and "Verachtung"). I suppose they
can't just translate the title literally (they could in some cases), but it would be
nice to have the translated title as a subtitle. As it is, you have to look carefully
with a magnifier to find the Danish title on the copywright page of the English
edition. I suppose that making it too legible would put off the English reading public
and frighten the horses.

~Later: Now have "Journal 64" lydbog. Just need to find the e-book now, if it exists.

Listened to some of the dialogues on the early part of the 1st TYSCD CD. At least I
mostly understand them now. They seem a bit slow now compared to audiobooks. :)

Deutsch

Word-listing; some from "Erbarmen", some old ones. While reading the JAO books, I think
I'll start to make word-lists as I go along (in both languages), and when I have filled
a sheet (usually 20) with TL words, I'll look them up and start the word-list "process"
off. There should not be too many German words. There could be a lot of Danish ones,
but I will be selective. Clearly the vocabulary will be different (more extensive),
than that in the TYSCD book.

Listen-Read, then read ch 16 "Erbarmen". More by accident that I listen-read, and, at
least in this chapter, I see that what they have done is simply remove some sentences,
or sometimes whole paragraphs. Thus what remains is still contained in the book, and
this chapter anyway, I was able to keep track. I decided to re-read it completely as
well. We'll see how that goes. (~Later: I found in the next chapter, whole swathes had
been cut out. So I clearly need to read the full text as well to make proper sense of
the story, and more importantly, the Danish, later on).

Started to (re-)read "Frau Jenny Treibel" in bed, but couldn't keep my eyes open. John
Major (or was it Harold MacMillan?) was said to like to go to bed with "a good
Trollope". Well, I like to go to bed with one of Fontane's Berlin housewives. :-)

Scandinavian

Watched "Lilyhammer". It's great fun, but probably not that great a medium for the
learning of Norwegian.

Edited by montmorency on 19 September 2012 at 10:54pm

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 102 of 133
20 September 2012 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
22:09 20/09/2012 Thursday | torsdag | Donnersdag

Problems with the old computer today!

My offline log file is there and has entries for Wed 19th which I'll post when i can.

Haven't done much today except my basic Danish word-lists from the back of TYSCD, plus
revision of old word-lists. Problems with computers, cats, and drains today!

This is a sort of place-holder.

Edited by montmorency on 14 October 2012 at 10:14pm

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 103 of 133
22 September 2012 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
22:59 21/09/2012 Friday

Not done much today language-wise, except > 10 words from the back of the book.

I'll probably take TYSCD (and some writing paper) to bed with me,
but I'll also probably take "Frau Jenny Treibel".
:)

(That's a joke that wears quite thin, quite quickly, I realise.

So, my apologies.

And I'll try not to use it (or thinly disguised variations)
    too often from now on.

:-)

Joking apart, this computer problem has been quite disruptive.
I'm not complaining, but it's just a fact of life.

Edit: It has reminded me that I'm terrible at multi-tasking, at least these days. I
used to think I was quite good at it. Must be age-erosion. One reason why I'll never be
a polyglot. It's as much as I can do (sometimes more than I can do), to keep active in
two languages, let alone more).

Edited by montmorency on 23 September 2012 at 1:35am

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 104 of 133
24 September 2012 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
19:39 22/09/2012   Saturday

>10 words from the back of TYSCD. Not a great lot else besides...still sorting out the
computer. Also AGM of Anglo-German club. No German spoken! :-)

23:59 23/09/2012    Sunday

>10 words from back of TYSCD, plus some of the dialogues on CD1.

Edited by montmorency on 24 September 2012 at 1:18am

This discussion contains 133 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version