2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 33 of 133
27 July 2012 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
2012-07-27 Freitag|Fredag

Goodness - hasn't July gone quickly?

Deutsch

Another interesting point that Fontane has helped me to realise (I think it came up in
"Irrungen, Wirrungen") is that not only were some "foreigners" wary of Prussia's
expansionism, not all Germans were thrilled about it, either, in this case, the
Hanoverians. He uses the term"Guelphs", which was new to me. (But as old Briest would
have said "Das ist ein zu weites Feld", so we definitely won't go there...).

Back to "Unwiederbringlich", and I see from the notes that, like Effi Briest, Fontane
based this (somewhat loosely) upon a true story, although he changed the locations and
I think the stations in life of the main protagonists. It ends up as another tragic
story (apparently, although I haven't got to the tragic part yet).

I've got a bit too far ahead with the translation, and will try to get back in "sync".
From then on, I think I will try the following with this book:

1. Read a chapter of English

2. Listen to the same chapter in German, listening only, not reading anything, and not
stopping; no writing down; no looking up.

3. Listening to the chapter in German while reading the English, and not stopping; no
writing down; no looking up.

[possible optional 4th step: quickly skim through the German text looking for words I'm
still not sure of, or want to pay extra attention to].

It will take a little longer than what I have been doing recently, but perhaps the
effect will be more lasting.

As always, try it, see how it goes; adapt and modify as necessary.

Edited by montmorency on 27 July 2012 at 11:46pm

1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 34 of 133
29 July 2012 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
2012-07-28 Samstag|Sonnaben|Lørdag

Spent most of the day walking with a group along the banks of the Thames, having lunch
at a nice riverside pub, more walking, then back for a cup of coffee and a long chat,
sitting in the sunshine at the café attached to the same pub.

Not much time or energy left for active language activities, but the 9pm slot on BBC4
TV proved interesting. This is the slot the BBC have been using to show foreign
language drama (especially Scandinavian) for the last few years, and tonight's was one
of the Rolf Lassgård versions of Wallander. They had shown 6 of the most recently made
of these before, several times (based on 4 of the books - 2 of the books are split into
2 parts for the TV version), and that set of episodes recently came out on a DVD set
made for the UK market. We had got the impression those were going to be the only ones
BBC would show. However, this was a hitherto unseen (on BBC) episode, based on the
story "Sidetracked") (part 1 of 2 episodes). It was closer to the book than the more
recently made episodes have been. (I suspect they have been dumbed down to make them
more televisual :-( ).

The fascinating thing was that it looked like this had been made for the German market,
because the opening credits were in German. I was afraid it was going to be dubbed into
German, but the audio was in Swedish, and of course there were English subtitles.

The interesting thing was that in the cast list, the Swedish actors were credited, but
also for each character, an actor with a German name was also mentioned. I'm guessing
that there was a German (dubbed) soundtrack available, but they had been able to avoid
using that, and had used the Swedish soundtrack. Whether this comes from a DVD made for
the German market, or some other source, I have no idea.

We will get part 2 of this episode next Saturday I think but I'm not sure what others
we'll get.

I recognised a handful of words via Danish. Although of course I'm not attempting to
learn Swedish, I count listening to any Scandinavian language as grist to the mill, so
it was not time wasted.

Edited by montmorency on 29 July 2012 at 11:43pm

Lapislazuli
Tetraglot
Austria
Joined 6980 days ago

146 posts - 170 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, ItalianB1
Studies: French, Hungarian, Esperanto, Czech

Message 35 of 133
08 August 2012 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
That is interesting that you say the Wallander-movies look like they have been partly shot for the German market - I believe that too. Those have been extremely popular arround here for a while. There was even one entirely shot in Austria and Germany starring some actors that are quite popular arround here, and some Swedes as well. Now looking it up, it's not a Wallander-story, but the filming of another one of Henning Mankell's books: Danslärarens återmkomst (Die Rückkehr des Tanzlehrers)

Personally I prefer the Martin Beck series by Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö. They have also been filmed a few times. There is one series made in the nineties, with Rolf Lassgård in it as well. And then there is a newer series as well called "Beck" that is just veeery loosely based on the books, but still I found it hilarious. I am sure you would also be able to find it in German, as it has also been aired in German TV, there even a few episodes where the Swedish detective-team gets help from a German policeman, and he and Beck talk in German then (with subtitles in the Swedish verstion, in the German version it's in German anyway)

I like the Beck-stuff because it has also some sense of humour to them (books and movies the same)I am sure you would also be able to find the books in Danish, as they have been more or less the first Scandinavian detective-novels or at least the most influential ones.
I have read through your log, but it could be you have mentioned those things before and you have seen them already, and I have missed that - if so I am sorry ...

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 36 of 133
09 August 2012 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
Hi @Lapislazuli,

Lapislazuli wrote:
That is interesting that you say the Wallander-movies look like
they have been partly shot for the German market - I believe that too. Those have been
extremely popular arround here for a while. There was even one entirely shot in Austria
and Germany starring some actors that are quite popular arround here, and some Swedes
as well. Now looking it up, it's not a Wallander-story, but the filming of another one
of Henning Mankell's books: Danslärarens återmkomst (Die Rückkehr des Tanzlehrers)

Maybe not so much shot, as later edited, and a German soundtrack added?
I'm not sure. Maybe the BBC could tell me. I really hope a DVD version of this will
become availailable on the UK market. I had seen some Lassgård-Wallander DVDs for the
German market online, but couldn't be sure if they would still have a Swedish
soundtrack, or would only have a dubbed German one.

Quote:

Personally I prefer the Martin Beck series by Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö. They have
also been filmed a few times. There is one series made in the nineties, with Rolf
Lassgård in it as well. And then there is a newer series as well called "Beck" that is
just veeery loosely based on the books, but still I found it hilarious. I am sure you
would also be able to find it in German, as it has also been aired in German TV, there
even a few episodes where the Swedish detective-team gets help from a German policeman,
and he and Beck talk in German then (with subtitles in the Swedish verstion, in the
German version it's in German anyway)

Indeed, I have heard of Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö. We've had documentaries here on
Henning Mankell & "Scandi-noir" which talked about them, and Mankell says he was
inspired by them when creating Wallander. I did try reading one of the books in
English, but didn't get on with it very well. I think I should try again though.

Quote:

I like the Beck-stuff because it has also some sense of humour to them (books and
movies the same)I am sure you would also be able to find the books in Danish, as they
have been more or less the first Scandinavian detective-novels or at least the most
influential ones.
I have read through your log, but it could be you have mentioned those things before
and you have seen them already, and I have missed that - if so I am sorry ...

Well, humour is one thing I do miss in Mankell / Wallander, so I might well like the
Beck stuff once I'd got into it properly. Yes, I suspect that Swedish and Norwegian
would translate quite nicely into Danish, more easily than other language translations,
and I'm certainly nowadays open to the idea of reading translations into Danish of
other Scandinavian languages; perhaps less so from other languages, although I suppose
I would make exception for significant works from English ... the ubiquitous Harry
Potter, for example :-)   (When I'm ready to read a book in Danish, that is, which is
not yet I'm afraid).

I've heard Haakon Nesser speaking (via a podcast) on a UK website that is dedicated to
Scandinavian "noir", and he says that he uses humour in his books too (and you can tell
from his personality when he speaks that he would). I suspect I'd like his style, but I
haven't read him yet, although I did find an audiobook of one of his short stories,
translated into German. I'm aware that Scandinavian crime fiction had a big following
in the German speaking world before we in the UK discovered it, so I'm lucky that if I
want, I have a good chance of finding a German translation (and maybe audiobook) of any
good Scandinavian crime novel, and if it's not originally in Danish, I can probably
find a Danish translation as well. That's been the case with some I have looked up
online.

Actually one Danish crime writer I discovered is Jussi Adler-Olsen. I've read 2 of his
books now in English, and hope to read them in Danish in due course, and I know they
are translated into German. In fact I found one ("Erbarmen" - "Mercy" in English) in
one of my local libraries. There is some quite good humour in those as well actually.

In the long run (it will probably be a very long run ...) I'd like to try to learn
Norwegian (properly) and Swedish one day, so reading Norwegian and Swedish writers in
translation now, will indirectly serve as some groundwork for that; theoretically it
shouldn't be a massive step to go to reading a Swedish author in Swedish, if I've
already read them Danish (and English, and maybe even German).....well, that's the
theory. :-)

EDIT: BTW "Die Rückkehr des Tanzlehrers" - Rings a bell. The Return of the Dancing
Master. We've read that book, and it involves (I think) a character with the same name
as one who appeared in the Swedish TV versions of Wallander with Krister Henriksson,
which were shown here. He plays the boyfriend of Linda, Wallander's daughter. So
although as you say, that book is not a Wallander story, it's almost like a
"crossover". Anyway, we read it because we'd read all the Wallander books available at
that time, and there was at least a tenuous connection, so it helped to feed our
"addiction" :-)

Edited by montmorency on 09 August 2012 at 12:31am

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5500 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 37 of 133
10 August 2012 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with this new methodology! I look forward to reading how it works out.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 38 of 133
10 August 2012 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
Good luck with this new methodology! I look forward to reading how it
works out.

Cheers T!

Well, you keep setting the bar pretty high, but I will endeavour not to let you down,
or at least, if I go down, to go down fighting, but still smiling :-)

I'm maintaining my log offline at the moment. About time I pasted some of it back in
here I guess...

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 39 of 133
12 August 2012 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
Time I pasted the updates I've been keeping offline since the
Dies Irae Dies Illa

2012-07-31 Dienstag|Tirsdag

HTLAL seemed to be having all sorts of problems when I tried using it just before.
Google/Chrome was warning me about malware on the site, and when I went ahead to use it
anyway, it was unusable. Opera/FF no better. Then I found I couldn't even "ping" it.
Ironic that people were discussing the question of how secure the site was the other
day (backups, etc). I suppose we'll find out soon (or maybe we won't).

So, typing this offline, while it's fresh in my mind.

Deutsch
2 More chapters of "Unwiederbringlich", this time in the way I mentioned before,
specifically:-

1. Read a chapter in English.
2. Listen to the same chapter in German, without reading, without stopping, eyes closed
("intense listening").
3. Listen to chapter in German while reading the English; again, do not stop; do not
write anything down.
4. (which I now think is non-optional actually) Quickly read through the German text,
underlining any words of interest, for possible later adding to a wordlist. Words of
interest: unknown words; not fully known words (maybe gender not previously known for
certain, for example, or not the full range of meanings); words I sort of know or can
guess, but want to make sure; words/phrases used idiomatically in an interesting way;
anything else that strikes me as interesting. I don't necessarily do the wordlisting
straight away, or I might just do it for a group or two of them.

A "missing" step here is to listen to the German while reading the German text. I think
this is a valuable step (especially for more difficult texts), but I don't want to to
cram too much in at once, and I don't want to miss out that intensive-listening step
for now. It's something I may well come back to.

There is also the possibility of using parallel texts. While I'm certainly not
discounting their use, I don't have many at the moment. As it happens, I did start to
make one of "Unwiederbringlich" once before, based on a google translation. I didn't
finish it, partly perhaps because I was more than unsure of the google translation. Now
I have a decent translation, I suppose I could go back and correct the google
translation with the help of the good translation, or I could try scanning & OCR-ing
the good translation. The trouble with parallel texts (unless they come in published
book form) is that (unless you print them out, which I would not want to do) you are
tied to the computer, which I prefer not to be all the time; I quite like the option of
reading it in real book form where possible. I don't have an E-Reader, although I
suppose sooner or later I will get around to buying one.

Back to the book: As mentioned before, it is set in Schleswig-Holstein, and also in
Copenhagen, and at an interesting period of Danish-German history - 1859-61. Schleswig,
at least notionally, is still under the Danish crown (although annexation by Prussia
is always on the cards). Count Holk, one of the main protagonists, has an honourary
appointment at the Danish court, specifically as Gentleman-in-Waiting for "The
Princess", a fictional invention of Fontane's, although according to the notes, she
fits in seamlessly with the family tree, and could easily have existed. This is a
background story, although it may well prove to play a significant part in the human
story, which is the main part of the novel.

In passing, it is interesting to note that when Holk is met and taken out to dine with
Pentz and Erichsen, two fellow courtiers, on his arrival in Copenhagen, they drink to
"Gamle Danmark". (Gammel is "old" in Danish). It's not clear to what extent they are
Danish and to what extent they are German. "Erichsen" sounds like a Danish name;
"Pentz" could be either. Holk seems to be regarded as a German at the court, but he
seems to have a certain loyalty to and regard for Denmark. When he is arguing with his
wife earlier in the book, she complains that he either finds her not Danish enough, or
not Prussian enough, so she can't win. (Sadly, it is a marriage in trouble). Anyway,
clearly the question of identity was around at that time in that place, and one gathers
that it rumbled on for quite some time. There is a lot of information in the notes in
the translation, which I need to re-read, and also read the notes in the German
original.

To check the quality and by way of a change, I listened to the 1st chapter of "Harry
Potter (1) und der Stein Der Weisen". I don't have the German text, and don't suppose I
will get it, but it is not too difficult to follow. We should have the English text
somewhere, but I haven't looked it out. This may be more necessary with the later
books.

Lovefilm decided to send me "Der Blaue Engel" (on my list, but not near the top...not
sure how they decide), the classic film that made Marlene Dietrich famous. The sound
quality is not good, and it's not easy to hear the dialogue. Still, it's great for
"atmosphere". This is the film with the famous song, which in the English version (not
a translation) is called "Falling In Love Again".
The German original starts "Ich bin von Kopf bis Fuß, auf Liebe eingestellt".
I love the lines:
"Männer umschwirr'n mich wie Motten um das Licht;
und, wenn sie verbrennen, ja dafür kann ich nicht",
(which is more or less the same in the English version).

The extras include some interesting material, including Dietrich's screen test for the
film; she was a student actress, and clearly brimming with talent, and perfect for the
role. She sings an English song, suggesting she had some knowledge of English. It is a
long time since I've seen the English version; from the extras, it's clear that at
least part of the film was re-shot for the English version. Emil Jannings ("Professor
Rath") had worked in the USA, so both principals could have re-voiced their lines in
English easily enough I should think, although the other actors might have been
dubbed. Dietrich went to the USA immediately after the film premiere (actually on the
same night - it's not clear if she was actually there!),
and the rest is history. I hadn't realised that the story was based on a book by
Heinrich Mann called
"Professor Unrat" - Unrat (= rubbish) is what the pupils mockingly call him.

The other Lovefilm offering at the moment is "Amores Perros", which we've seen before,
but it's a remarkable film. I put it on the list mostly for Frau Montmorency, (she is
actively studying Spanish), but she's less of a film buff, and is usually too busy to
sit down and watch a DVD at home, plus she was less impressed by this film than I was,
seemingly, so the problem will be getting her to watch it! Even when I was studying
Spanish actively, I used to find Mexican Spanish (in films) almost impossible to
follow. This is where TL subtitles would be handy, but I'm sure there won't be any. I
have a feeling that rental DVDs almost never have them. I imagine they are some sort of
cheap editions specifically designed for rental in a a particular market. Not that
purchased DVDs always have them either, but there is often some sort of choice.

Edited by montmorency on 12 August 2012 at 11:36pm

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 40 of 133
12 August 2012 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
2012-08-01 Mittwoch|Onsdag

Deutsch

Read and listened to chapter 14 of "unwiederbringlich", using the 4 stage approach
mentioned above. I have to resist, while listening to German and reading the English,
tuning out the German audio and just reading the English, which is unfortunately all
too easy to do. I have found that a simple trick helps to guard against this, which is
to place a blank sheet of paper over the line of English while I am listening to the
same line in German, and then to start revealing the English at some point after about
half way, as one can normally take it in at a glance. This works well for shorter and
simpler sentences. With longer and more complex sentences (where the word and phrase
order may well be different, it's a bit more difficult, and then I have to consciously
hold on to the German audio, and reveal the English as late as possible. I imagine
something like this might work with parallel texts. I suppose interleaved text (with L1
2nd) could also work this way.

Intermezzo

I see Julie and Emk have both offered temporary homes for HTAL, and Emk and others have
tried to contact FX, so far without success. I may delete the following later, but
while all this is fresh in my mind: If FX was running this site as a paying business,
then it was in his interests to make sure it was being actively maintained, developed,
bug-fixed, and have people on standby. If it was done purely pro-bono, and he no longer
had time to maintain it, then the real pro-bono thing to do would have been to hand it
over to willing volunteers, to either maintain it in-situ, or transfer to a new server
and/or new software. It's not like we have a system down, but people are working to
get it up. It's that we have a system down, and the only person who can get it back up
is apparently uncontactable. My worry is that it might be a situation whereby if
intervention is not made soon enough, the problems may become unrecoverable. Worst-case
- the owner might be locked out of his own system, and even his own backups.

Later squeezed in chapter 15 of "Unwiederbringlich", and had been planning to do some
Danish vocabulary and then watch "Borgen" on BBC4 (at the rather late hour of
midnight), but was too tired to do either, and went to bed. Will have to catch Borgen
on iPlayer.

This discussion contains 133 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version