Joined 5420 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 17 of 88
28 January 2015 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Okay I'm having doubts again whether I'm 'allowed' to join.

You have a C2 in personality, but that should not be a barrier.

Always the nice guy luke, murky bowcoop to yoop
1 person has voted this message useful

s.mann
Groupie
United States
lang-8.com/973514/jo
Joined 3582 days ago

55 posts - 76 votes 
Studies: French

Message 18 of 88
28 January 2015 at 6:16am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
My official complaint goes like this: Why can only
beginners join? Where is the advantage in being more advanced? That might seem like
a dumb question as perhaps we are to assume that advanced learners can
log more activities? I disagree. For over a year I've been using a multitude of
beginning/intermediate resources just so I can make it to a more advanced level that
allows me to slow down/advance more leisurely while I put effort into other things
including new languages. I personally feel this rule is rubbish.

I still intend on joining, but with even one strong fairly justified objection I will
withdraw

FIrst off, I have no objections to your participation, and I agree that it is a bit confusing.
Since it's hours-based, to me the main benefit is getting a handle on how much you're
really studying and find more places in your life to carve out time for the project. That
should be available to anyone. That said, I think that one reason a more advanced
person would be able to put in more hours with less anguish would be that they could
more easily read or watch TV for those hours, without as much stress as us newbies.
So you may be able to laugh along with the jokes and pick up a couple of new phrases
during that 45 minutes, but for me, actually getting anything out of watching Buffy is at
least as difficult as plodding through a grammar book and only moderately more fun. I
think the assumption is that 6WC peeps are going to be working on courses (like you
are) and that even doing things like LR or watching a series would be closing huge
gaps in knowledge for beginners vs high-intermediates who would get smaller gaps
filled and more enjoyment and understanding.

tl;dr - advanced players could "win" while actually having fun
5 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5252 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 19 of 88
28 January 2015 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
The lower-intermediate-preferably-absolute-beginner limit is not about advantage and more hours. It's there because the whole purpose of the 6WC is to get beginners to study like mad for 6 weeks and see significant improvement. Like, knowing just 1 word before the Challenge and 200 words after, a whopping 20000% increase. Whereas for a B2, 200 more words would only be a ~5% increase.

The 6WC is not just a "study like mad for 6 weeks" challenge. It's a "study like mad and see huge improvement in just 6 weeks" challenge.

However, the Challenge logs scores for both your 6WC-target-language and for all your other languages. So PM just has to pick a non-French non-English language as Target Language, and he'd be able to log his French hours just the same.

(Just my non-official interpretation of the rules).

Edited by smallwhite on 28 January 2015 at 9:58am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3800 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 20 of 88
28 January 2015 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
Registering for German (just as soon as I find out how!)

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5420 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 21 of 88
28 January 2015 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
s.mann wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
My official complaint goes like this: Why can only
beginners join? Where is the advantage in being more advanced? That might seem like
a dumb question as perhaps we are to assume that advanced learners can
log more activities? I disagree. For over a year I've been using a multitude of
beginning/intermediate resources just so I can make it to a more advanced level that
allows me to slow down/advance more leisurely while I put effort into other things
including new languages. I personally feel this rule is rubbish.

I still intend on joining, but with even one strong fairly justified objection I will
withdraw

FIrst off, I have no objections to your participation, and I agree that it is a bit confusing.
Since it's hours-based, to me the main benefit is getting a handle on how much you're
really studying and find more places in your life to carve out time for the project. That
should be available to anyone. That said, I think that one reason a more advanced
person would be able to put in more hours with less anguish would be that they could
more easily read or watch TV for those hours, without as much stress as us newbies.
So you may be able to laugh along with the jokes and pick up a couple of new phrases
during that 45 minutes, but for me, actually getting anything out of watching Buffy is at
least as difficult as plodding through a grammar book and only moderately more fun. I
think the assumption is that 6WC peeps are going to be working on courses (like you
are) and that even doing things like LR or watching a series would be closing huge
gaps in knowledge for beginners vs high-intermediates who would get smaller gaps
filled and more enjoyment and understanding.

tl;dr - advanced players could "win" while actually having fun

Hey s.mann,
Yeah that all makes sense to me and was my assumption too. Thanks for sharing.

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5420 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 22 of 88
28 January 2015 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
The lower-intermediate-preferably-absolute-beginner limit is not about advantage and
more hours. It's there because the whole purpose of the 6WC is to get beginners to study like mad for 6
weeks and see significant improvement. Like, knowing just 1 word before the Challenge and 200 words after,
a whopping 20000% increase. Whereas for a B2, 200 more words would only be a ~5% increase.

The 6WC is not just a "study like mad for 6 weeks" challenge. It's a "study like mad and see huge
improvement in just 6 weeks" challenge.

However, the Challenge logs scores for both your 6WC-target-language and for all your other languages. So
PM just has to pick a non-French non-English language as Target Language, and he'd be able to log his
French hours just the same.

(Just my non-official interpretation of the rules).

Okay, that makes sense. It also counts me out (I'm not studying any other languages at this stage)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6541 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 23 of 88
28 January 2015 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 
You can register with something random like Esperanto and never register any target language hours, only totals. Or you can put in a few and see where you get ;D a 6WC language doesn't have to be a serious long-term commitment, you can use it for dabbling and experimenting (how it originally started).

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3951 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Studies: French

Message 24 of 88
28 January 2015 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
This post lists
the "official" rules by the challenge owner, Sprachprofi. It clearly states those that are "B1 and less" can
participate in the challenge. In my mind, if one has not reached a B2 level, you are still B1.   Perhaps a quick
PM to Sprachprofi to clear this up?

Edit: typo

Edited by Mohave on 28 January 2015 at 3:39pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 88 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version