Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

6 Week Challenge in May?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
220 messages over 28 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 1 ... 27 28 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6220 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 1 of 220
15 April 2011 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
So I know that two friends of mine on this forum are planning to intensively study
Spanish in May, and I want to do that, too. Can we declare it a 6 Week Challenge on
short notice?

Theoretically, you would not have to choose Spanish, you could do any language, though
it's a lot more interesting if a lot of people study the same language - then we can
compare our methods and exchange tips.

It has to be a language at which you're B1 or less though (lower intermediate level),
preferably an absolute beginner.

I'm planning to have a Twitter bot keeping track of people's hours, like for the "Read
more or die" challenge. I find that this ability to compare yourself to the others adds
a lot to my motivation. Participating in this tracking is not required to participate
in the challenge though.

Who is in?

1. Sprachprofi

Edited by Sprachprofi on 15 April 2011 at 9:38pm

9 persons have voted this message useful

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5736 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 2 of 220
15 April 2011 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
Woohoo!

Excellent idea. I did some Spanish at university in 2003, although I never really got far in actual skill. I remember horribly sucking at the final spoken test, since we never really did any speaking in class...mostly a bunch of grammar rules and weird batches of vocabulary.

I'm looking for suggestions for materials. I'm hoping to find some interesting books, and I think my brother has a book of Pablo Neruda poetry somewhere. Any recommendations of authors? I'll probably also read some Latin American news on Narco News (although I just noticed now that they have further translations into Portuguese, Italian, German, and Dutch - narconews.com )

I'm looking forward to seeing Sprachprofi's twitter bot in action :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5101 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 3 of 220
15 April 2011 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
Are we restricted to one language only? I'm currently studying Cantonese as my main language, but I also take Spanish classes in school so I thought that it could be kind of fun to compare my Spanish progress with you guys as well as my Cantonese since it is my main focus. Although, I wouldn't be studying Spanish intensively so maybe there's no point in having both language. In that case I'd rather choose Cantonese. Whichever way, I am in :)

Edited by WingSuet on 15 April 2011 at 10:18pm

1 person has voted this message useful

nerxs
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 4722 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Latin

Message 4 of 220
15 April 2011 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
Sounds great!

But I am still unsure wether to tackle Spanish or continue with my Mandarin studies. Maybe I could achieve more in
6 weeks learning Spanish, than in 3 months learning Mandarin.

So let's try Spanish. What materials are you going to use?

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5892 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 5 of 220
16 April 2011 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
Spanish won't work for me because I already speak it, but I'll watch eagerly from the sidelines and can offer help to anyone that needs it.

...but you said that we could theoretically choose any language? Hm... In that case I choose Polish. I don't have Twitter though, so I won't be keeping track of my hours on there with everyone else -- is that a problem?

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4921 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 6 of 220
16 April 2011 at 1:41am | IP Logged 
I am interested in doing this, but could someone explain exactly what it entails? I am studying Spanish intensively in May regardless in preparation for my trip to Nicaragua, but I think it would be fun to do a challenge. I don't have Twitter, though.

budonoseito
Pro Member
United States
budobeyondtechnRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5555 days ago

261 posts - 344 votes 
Studies: French, Japanese
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 220
16 April 2011 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
Maybe next time. I am swamped right now.

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5316 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 8 of 220
16 April 2011 at 4:28am | IP Logged 
doviende wrote:

I'm looking for suggestions for materials. I'm hoping to find some interesting books, and I think my brother has a
book of Pablo Neruda poetry somewhere. Any recommendations of authors? I'll probably also read some Latin
American news on Narco News (although I just noticed now that they have further translations into Portuguese,
Italian, German, and Dutch - narconews.com )

I'm looking forward to seeing Sprachprofi's twitter bot in action :)

Some recommendations in regards to authors and sites for learning Spanish quick:

Notes In Spanish - Full of podcasts about all different kinds of
topics at beginner, intermediate and advanced levels.

Word Reference Dictionary - Fantastic online dictionary, and
Spanish forums have a wealth of info

Spanish News Bites - Short articles on different subjects at all
levels, which includes a hover-over dictionary for certain phrases and words, and also has the articles being read
by a native Spanish speaker, so you can follow the text allong whilst she's reading.

Alba Learning - El Principito (Le Petit Prince) and many other audio books
available at this site, including the texts as well.

As for authors, I highly recommend Federico GarcĂ­a Lorca, who has a collection of poetry books which are
bilingual. Original Spanish one side and translated English on the other. Also my internet is going too slow at the
moment to find it, by all Paulo Coehlo's books are online in pdf form in Spanish and available to download for
free. Not the biggest fan of his work, however they are quite simple to read and the amount of vocab used is
quite low, so once you get a bit into it, you will have already covered most of the vocab which will be used later
on also. Good learning material. Will try to add the link again later if someone can't find it.

Good luck to you all!

13 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 220 messages over 28 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version