Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

6 Week Challenge in May?

 Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
220 messages over 28 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 ... 27 28 Next >>
boisjolie
Newbie
United States
Joined 3124 days ago

26 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

 
 Message 129 of 220
03 May 2011 at 7:05am | IP Logged 
This process is quite detrimental to my University work. Plowing through Spanish doesn't do much good when there are final papers involved. xD

Oh well, it's a noble exercise and it's quite a bit more fun, and it'll prepare me for my trip to Costa Rica at the end of this tunnel.

I do find myself wishing the days were longer, though...
1 person has voted this message useful



Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Senior Member
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4301 days ago

2608 posts - 4864 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

 
 Message 130 of 220
03 May 2011 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
JNetto wrote:
".@6WCBot #Spanish #Conversation 3,5hours"


Not accepted because there should be a space between the amount and the hours (except
for "30min"), also, you need to use English punctuation, a dot, not a comma - 3.5
hours. So your update should have been

.@6WCBot #Spanish #Conversation 3.5 hours

If there's trouble getting anything accepted, you can always enter it as minutes. Don't
fear that the bot will come back to your tweet and accept it - if you waited 5 minutes
and the latest batch of confirmations didn't make reference to your tweet, then there
was something wrong with it and you have to try again.
1 person has voted this message useful



Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Senior Member
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4301 days ago

2608 posts - 4864 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

 
 Message 131 of 220
03 May 2011 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
There are still 16 people who haven't started the challenge yet. Let's encourage them!

Ditto if you notice that someone hasn't noted any progress in a while. This time, we can
pull through as a community!
1 person has voted this message useful



liddytime
Pentaglot
Senior Member
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 4060 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

 
 Message 132 of 220
03 May 2011 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
JNetto wrote:
".@6WCBot #Spanish #Conversation 3,5hours"


Not accepted because there should be a space between the amount and the hours (except
for "30min"), also, you need to use English punctuation, a dot, not a comma - 3.5
hours. So your update should have been

.@6WCBot #Spanish #Conversation 3.5 hours

If there's trouble getting anything accepted, you can always enter it as minutes.


and don't do what I did and enter it as "Hours"
the bot only recognizes "hours" lowercase "h"!
2 persons have voted this message useful



Phantom Kat
Diglot
Senior Member
United States
Joined 2894 days ago

160 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Finnish

 
 Message 133 of 220
04 May 2011 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
I took a Spanish AP exam today, which with breaks and stuff came to about 3.5 hours of language time (listening, writing, reading, and even speaking). That's going to bump me up a bit. :)

- Kat
1 person has voted this message useful



ellasevia
Nonaglot
Winner TAC 2011
Senior Member
Japan
Joined 3973 days ago

2152 posts - 3231 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Croatian, Greek, French, German, Portuguese, Turkish, Japanese
Studies: Romanian, Mandarin, Russian, Persian

 
 Message 134 of 220
04 May 2011 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
Phantom Kat wrote:
I took a Spanish AP exam today, which with breaks and stuff came to about 3.5 hours of language time (listening, writing, reading, and even speaking). That's going to bump me up a bit. :)

Wait, we're not allowed to count class/school time, are we? If so I would be able to count an extra hour of each Japanese and German every day, plus however long it will take me to take the German and French AP tests... As a rule I only count time that I spend as part of my own individual studies.
1 person has voted this message useful



Phantom Kat
Diglot
Senior Member
United States
Joined 2894 days ago

160 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Finnish

 
 Message 135 of 220
04 May 2011 at 3:10am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Phantom Kat wrote:
I took a Spanish AP exam today, which with breaks and stuff came to about 3.5 hours of language time (listening, writing, reading, and even speaking). That's going to bump me up a bit. :)

Wait, we're not allowed to count class/school time, are we? If so I would be able to count an extra hour of each Japanese and German every day, plus however long it will take me to take the German and French AP tests... As a rule I only count time that I spend as part of my own individual studies.


I assumed we could since whether we're in school or not, it's still time spent on a language and language material, right? The time spent on school still contributes to the knowledge we have of the language at the end of the six weeks. Plus, nothing about classes/tests was mentioned in the beginning.

But if we can't, sorry then. D:

- Kat

Edited by Phantom Kat on 04 May 2011 at 6:07am

3 persons have voted this message useful



2_Journey
Newbie
United States
Joined 2855 days ago

32 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Spanish

 
 Message 136 of 220
04 May 2011 at 5:53am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
There are still 16 people who haven't started the challenge yet. Let's encourage them!

Ditto if you notice that someone hasn't noted any progress in a while. This time, we can
pull through as a community!


I'm one of the 16. I'm in the midst of finals, but will be finished with them at 6:00 pm Thursday. I'm planning on launching headlong into Spanish starting on Friday or Saturday, after I've caught up on my sleep. I'm really looking forward to it! I just have to get through a final paper and a final exam between now and Thursday night. Ugh.


1 person has voted this message useful



This discussion contains 220 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>


Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version

You cannot post new topics in this forum - You cannot reply to topics in this forum - You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum - You cannot create polls in this forum - You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page was generated in 0.4219 seconds.


DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript
Copyright 2018 FX Micheloud - All rights reserved
No part of this website may be copied by any means without my written authorization.