Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6288 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 9 of 67
24 November 2008 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
So: for low values of conversational, I am conversational in spoken Esperanto. I spoke it for about 2 hours tonight; I needed to have things repeated twice (I mean, two times in total, for two different sentences, not everything twice!), and had to drop into Italian for a small handful of sentences, and ask for words giving the Italian a similar number of times. What I said was generally comprehensible, although a bit error-ridden; my conversation partner only looked confused and/or asked for clarification a few times. I had to use circumlocutions fairly often, and I simply couldn't say what I wanted to a few times. I'm not fluent; my Esperanto is quite haltingly spoken.

Basically: I speak about as well as I write (or think) freely and spontaneously - which is significantly worse than my conscientious (and slow) writing, which in turn is still imperfect (but fairly decent, I'd say).

I'm happy about the implications of this: it suggests that as soon as I can ameliorate my writing, I'll be able to speak at a level I'll be happy with.

I've also borrowed more than enough books to hit my reading target for Esperanto.

Reineke: what are the TAC rules for if I hit one of my TAC goals before the TAC starts? ;-)

1 person has voted this message useful

ymapazagain
Australia
myspace.com/amywiles
Joined 6808 days ago

504 posts - 538 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: SpanishB2

Message 10 of 67
24 November 2008 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
Excuse my ignorance, but what is TAC?!

ymapazagain
Australia
myspace.com/amywiles
Joined 6808 days ago

504 posts - 538 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: SpanishB2

Message 11 of 67
24 November 2008 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
Ah, question answered in the beginner forum...never mind!

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6296 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 12 of 67
24 November 2008 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:

Reineke: what are the TAC rules for if I hit one of my TAC goals before the TAC starts? ;-)

By definition it's not a TAC goal, since you need to enter the competition with a set of challenging, open goals to be accomplished during the course of the year.

One of the requirements is to accomplish something you'll be proud of. I guess this is a technicality for some people :)

I believe that you need to set some of your Esperanto goals a wee bit higher.
Once you've set your goals, you need to put in a considerable effort and document your progress.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6288 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 13 of 67
25 November 2008 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
reineke wrote:
Volte wrote:

By definition it's not a TAC goal, since you need to enter the competition with a set of challenging, open goals to be accomplished during the course of the year.

One of the requirements is to accomplish something you'll be proud of. I guess this is a technicality for some people :)

Did you read my TAC goals? I'd damn well be proud of hitting conversationality + passing the airplane test in that many languages.

reineke wrote:

I believe that you need to set some of your Esperanto goals a wee bit higher.
Once you've set your goals, you need to put in a considerable effort and document your progress.

And I believe that I don't need to set my Esperanto goals a wee bit higher; I'll continue developing it as planned, but I have a rather specific set of language goals for the next year, and I don't intend to compromise them for the sake of one specific language, Esperanto or otherwise.

I'm somewhat amazed that going from "hardly able to say a sentence and reading exceedingly haltingly" (I gave up 'fajron mi sentas interne' a few weeks ago after three paragraphs because it was so much above my level; I read it completely a few days ago) to "able to hold two hour spoken or written conversations, albeit with some difficulty", via immersing myself in the language (by myself) for up to 18 or so hours on my best day, over the course of 5 days counts as setting my aims too low. The TAC wouldn't be much more challenging if I did absolutely nothing until it started...

One of my major (and previously unstated, I think) goals for the year was to see how intensively I could study and how quickly I could learn. If doing this leads to being told I'm setting my goals too low in proportion to how well I succeed.... meh.

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6296 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 14 of 67
25 November 2008 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:

One of my major (and previously unstated, I think) goals for the year was to see how intensively I could study and how quickly I could learn. If doing this leads to being told I'm setting my goals too low in proportion to how well I succeed.... meh.

Hello Volte

That's the main point of this challenge and it should result in achieving a great result. As for the technicality thing, that was a little joke regarding Esperanto and nothing more. I am sorry if you understood that it applied to all your other goals and that I was serious about it.

TheElvenLord
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5929 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Cornish, English*
Studies: Spanish, French, German
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 15 of 67
25 November 2008 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
Hi Volte

Sorry I am a little late, as you have already started pretty much, but I just want to wish you the best of luck, and hope that you and I both continue till December 2009!

Getting one of your goals already?! That's really good! (Or you are cheating :D (Joke!))

Look forward to hearing more!

TEL

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6288 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 16 of 67
25 November 2008 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
reineke wrote:
Volte wrote:

Hello Volte

That's the main point of this challenge and it should result in achieving a great result. As for the technicality thing, that was a little joke regarding Esperanto and nothing more. I am sorry if you understood that it applied to all your other goals and that I was serious about it.

Oops. The danger of internet forums (and doubly ones across cultures with different senses of humor); it did fly over my head. Thanks for clarifying!

This discussion contains 67 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version