Switzerland
Joined 6288 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 49 of 67
30 January 2009 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
Since my last post, I've hit two milestones:
1) Real-time music comprehension - not all the time (sometimes songs simply use too many words I don't know, and I've been listening to some (Folk) Metal, a genre I can't always easily understand even in English), but often, even for songs I've never heard before. I hit this a few days ago.

2) I've read a children's book, "Die Kleine Hexe". It was 127 pages, including some illustrations, and took me about 2 hours to read, in one sitting (more or less - there were some very short interruptions). My comprehension was fairly high, though not perfect - I still lack intuition about how words like 'noch', used for emphasis of a sort, really change the meaning of a phrase, and my vocabulary was occasionally insufficient to catch some details, though the general arc of each chapter remained clear.

In terms of studying, I did about 5 or 6 hours of L-R on the 28th. On the 29th, I needed a change of pace, so aside from about half an hour of L-R, I listened to about 8 hours of Folk Metal. Today, I reviewed a few Assimil lessons, had a couple of short L-R sessions (~45 minutes each), and then read the aforementioned book.

1 person has voted this message useful

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6285 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 50 of 67
30 January 2009 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
2) I've read a children's book, "Die Kleine Hexe". It was 127 pages, including some illustrations, and took me about 2 hours to read, in one sitting (more or less - there were some very short interruptions). My comprehension was fairly high, though not perfect - I still lack intuition about how words like 'noch', used for emphasis of a sort, really change the meaning of a phrase, and my vocabulary was occasionally insufficient to catch some details, though the general arc of each chapter remained clear.

Die Kleine Hexe von Preußler? Toll! Wie hast du die Geschichte gefunden? Ich habe selbst das noch nicht gelesen, aber als ich jünger war habe ich Hotzenplotz-Bücher von demselben Autor auf Koreanisch gelesen. Ich mochte sie sehr gern, und ich glaube, ich soll vielleicht die Bücher auf Deutsch lesen. Gab es viele schwierige Wörte? Wie war der Schreibstil?

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6288 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 51 of 67
30 January 2009 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
Jiwon wrote:
Volte wrote:

Die Kleine Hexe von Preußler? Toll! Wie hast du die Geschichte gefunden? Ich habe selbst das noch nicht gelesen, aber als ich jünger war habe ich Hotzenplotz-Bücher von demselben Autor auf Koreanisch gelesen. Ich mochte sie sehr gern, und ich glaube, ich soll vielleicht die Bücher auf Deutsch lesen. Gab es viele schwierige Wörte? Wie war der Schreibstil?

Genau, Die Kleine Hexe von Preußler.

I came across it by pure luck: Sprachprofi gave it to me, when I gave her some Italian books. :-)

There were some difficult words, but not that many. The writing style was extremely readable and straightforward, I found.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5934 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 52 of 67
30 January 2009 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
Preußler is one of those authors that wrote several books, all of which are rather good. I like one in particular, Der Kleine Wasserman. I used to play it for my kids at bedtime. The flute music and the sound of underwater were enough to.....ZZZZZZ....:) I still like hearing it!

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6288 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 53 of 67
26 February 2009 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
So, I've invested almost two months into German. On the whole, I'd say it went fairly badly; I can use it when I absolutely need to, but both my active and passive use remain at a level I'll bluntly call "lousy".

I was quite stunned at how little motivation I could bring to studying this language; I did less than 20 hours of L-R for it, for instance.

I badly need a change of pace. As a result, I'm going to devote some time to the non-IE European language with the best resources I'm aware of: Hungarian. What can I say - Mek's collection of audiobooks is absolutely stunning.

I'll dig up a grammar when I feel like it (aka, not yet). Suggestions are welcome, though - especially for online ones.

Does anyone here know a decent pop-up dictionary for Hungarian (for any computer platform - Windows, OS X, Linux, web-based, whatever...what I care about is that it works), or good phonetics material for it (ie, with a lot of contrasting minimal pairs, etc)?

Edited by Volte on 26 February 2009 at 11:28pm

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 6000 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 54 of 67
27 February 2009 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
I just took a quick look at Mek's. That's an incredible resource. Thanks Volte. For minimal pairs I remembered you've already tried the FSI course, but didn't find them that minimal. If you find something better, let us know in your log.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6288 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 55 of 67
27 February 2009 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
"The Phonology of Hungarian" by Peter Siptar and Miklos Torkencz, looks incredible at a glance - but it seems to have the crushing problem of not including audio. Still, you can take a look on google books.

In terms of actual recordings, there's a small resource which covers the consonants and vowels, plus a few small narratives - it's better than nothing, but it's quite limited.

There also seems to be quite a bit in Hungarian on Hungarian phonology, judging by the reference section at the end of this page; I'd be happily surprised if anything was accompanied by recordings, though.

Edited by Volte on 27 February 2009 at 1:23pm

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6288 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 56 of 67
27 February 2009 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
I'm going to have to say the Hungarian phonology material situation looks bad. I've done fairly extensive searches in English, more-than-cursory ones in Russian, Polish, German, French, and Hungarian, and fairly cursory ones in Italian, Dutch, Finnish, and Esperanto, and haven't turned up significantly more than I mentioned above (though there were a few interesting results - Polish sites with materials in English/German about Hungarian poetry, literature, folk tales, etc, a book in German with the somewhat peculiar title "Das polnische und das ungarische phonologische System" - no sign of audio though, etc).

Probably the best result I've found is a German site on Hungarian Phonology - it has some minimal pair recordings.

This discussion contains 67 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version