United States
Joined 5578 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 81 of 116
18 April 2012 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
Švejk wrote:

I sense that free discussion is not all that welcome on this forum. I am sorry if I disturbed the cozy sense of community here and will leave.

Don't be ridiculous, Steve. Of course you're welcomed here. You have every right to discuss LingQ on the forum and answer any questions other forum members have.

We have gotten other authors on here before. The author of TYS Indonesian was on here once and interacted with us. Michael Erard, author of Babel No More has a thread where he takes part in our discussions. They didn't defend their work as much as you are, so maybe that's why you are getting a chilly reception.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4840 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 82 of 116
18 April 2012 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
Švejk wrote:
If my participation here is considered barging in, then I will stop
commenting.

Sorry, it was not intended to sound so harsh. I just felt it couldn't be very
"neutral" if the (Co-)Founder of the product in question is "correcting" things and
"defending" the product.

Švejk wrote:
You cannot have a "neutral " thread, you can only have an open and free
thread, where people express their opinions, or provide information supporting
different points of view.

"Neutral" was meant to express an environment free from economical interests. Steve,
you are the father of LingQ, so if it was my baby in question, I couldn't write in an
absolutely impartial way. I'm not questioning that you have the right to do so.

Švejk wrote:
I felt that there were a number of inaccurate statements made about LingQ.
I provided a different perspective and different information.

Sorry if I did inaccurate statements about my experiences with LingQ. I tried to write
what I wrote to the best of my knowledge and belief.

Švejk wrote:
I sense that free discussion is not all that welcome on this forum. I am
sorry if I disturbed the cozy sense of community here and will leave.

Absolutely not. I never felt this way here, and everyone who has seen your videos,
Steve, knows that you have a lot to share about languages and learning. So please feel
free to do so! I just felt your position could be "biased", that's all. It is nothing
personal!!!

Edited by Mae on 18 April 2012 at 4:59pm

1 person has voted this message useful

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
https://learning-wit
Joined 4741 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, German, English, Mandarin
Studies: Italian

Message 83 of 116
18 April 2012 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
Two days ago, I corrected two false statements about LWT that had been posted in the LingQ forum by two LingQ members. My two posts were deleted right away, and Steve/Švejk wrote later:

"I am always amazed at the chutzpah, or lack of common sense, of someone who regularly spams our forum with information about a system that he claims to be like LingQ, and who specifically encourages people to grab all the content at LingQ, contributed by our members, and take it over to his program. Shortly we will close this thread and will do so whenever this troll stops by, and this is unfortunate since it annoys our members."         

In the LingQ forum there is no "open and free thread, where people express their opinions, or provide information supporting different points of view". (cit. Steve/Švejk, see above)

Taking over LingQ content to LWT is possible for every (also non-paying) LingQ member. Is it morally reprehensible to copy & paste such free resources and use it in a software other than LingQ???

I find it interesting that LWT has not been tried or tested by Steve/Švejk and his LingQ crew in order to learn how things at LingQ could be improved. LWT is the result of my dissatisfaction with LingQ. But my dissatisfaction seems to be irrelevant. The possibility to change the color of the LingQ avatar seems to have much more importance.

Edited by lwtproject on 18 April 2012 at 6:20pm

8 persons have voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6792 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 84 of 116
18 April 2012 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
A forum that belongs to a specific product, as opposed to an open forum like this one, probably doesn't have to be quite as open.

BTW, does LWT run on Linux?

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
https://learning-wit
Joined 4741 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, German, English, Mandarin
Studies: Italian

Message 85 of 116
18 April 2012 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
...does LWT run on Linux?

Yes, of course. Just set up Apache, PHP and MySQL (see here for Ubuntu), and extract LWT into Apache's DocumentRoot. Make sure that Apache is able to access LWT files (via chmod/chown).

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5230 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 86 of 116
18 April 2012 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
Michael K. wrote:
Švejk wrote:
I sense that free discussion is not all that welcome on this forum. I am sorry if I disturbed the cozy sense of community here and will leave.

Don't be ridiculous, Steve. Of course you're welcomed here. You have every right to discuss LingQ on the forum and answer any questions other forum members have.

It was not unreasonable to expect that Steve would want to justify his product and clarify misconceptions about it. Most of us would do the same. We can leave that argument to rest.

Steve is no doubt a passionate man, and his passion for both language learning and Lingq is obvious. HTLAL would certainly benefit from his more active participation here, even if the discussion may at times become more heated as it gets more passionate. A man who has accomplished so much with languages and who has actually bothered to create a system, and to record numerous videos, aimed at helping people learn languages and encouraging them to do so is a valuable asset to any language forum -- and to this one most of all.

I do find it unfortunate, however, that this passion is occasionally, in forums or videos, perceived as somewhat vitriolic by some members. I know Steve to be a much more reasonable man than some find him to be from his posts alone.

Steve, I’d be really disappointed if this thread drove you away. Let’s all concentrate on sharing our common passion despite all potential disagreements. It's when we disagree that we learn the most.

Edited by Arekkusu on 18 April 2012 at 7:13pm

12 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6446 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 87 of 116
18 April 2012 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
Švejk wrote:
Serpent wrote:
Intensive and extensive reading are established terms on this forum.

I can assure you that my opinions will not be constrained by any established dogma at this forum, but will reflect my own views.
Oh sure, I just meant that you called them subjective terms but they aren't. I repeat, you've been gone for years and you probably haven't read any of the topics we've had on intensive vs extensive reading.

There's no established dogma here btw. Just some things that are common knowledge, such as what CEFR is, who Mezzofanti, ProfArguelles and Benny are, what the base language of most Assimil courses is...

Also, I'm not sure the LWT posts annoy anyone but you and trolling is a completely different concept. Frankly, this "they claim to be as good as we are" thing reminds me on HP and blood purity.

Edited by Serpent on 18 April 2012 at 8:02pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5918 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 88 of 116
18 April 2012 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Just some things that are common knowledge, such as what CEFR is, who Mezzofanti, ProfArguelles and Benny are, what the base language of most Assimil courses is...

of course. now, one of the "guys" you've just mentioned seems to have no idea what CEFR is (a little clue? it's neither the dead one, nor the philologist one)

Serpent wrote:
Also, I'm not sure the LWT posts annoy anyone but you and trolling is a completely different concept.

I wouldn't say "trolling" but "spamming"

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version