Joined 4741 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, German, English, Mandarin
Studies: Italian

Message 89 of 116
18 April 2012 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
tmp011007 wrote:
I wouldn't say "trolling" but "spamming"

I would not call less than 10 posts within the last six months "spamming".

There are anyway better places to promote LWT.

The reactions about LWT are mostly positive, like this one, and mostly negative paired with wrong statements about LWT in the LingQ forum.

I understand that Steve is not happy seeing my comments in his forum. So I will stop this from now on.

Edited by lwtproject on 18 April 2012 at 9:26pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6446 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 90 of 116
18 April 2012 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
tmp011007 wrote:
Serpent wrote:
Just some things that are common knowledge, such as what CEFR is, who Mezzofanti, ProfArguelles and Benny are, what the base language of most Assimil courses is...

of course. now, one of the "guys" you've just mentioned seems to have no idea what CEFR is (a little clue? it's neither the dead one, nor the philologist one)
He knows it :) Whether his self-assessment makes sense is a different matter.

I just mean that for example when Cainntear was banned, the only explanation was that it had to do with Benny. I had been absent from the forum for some time and I had no clue about the irishpolyglot guy.
Now it's the same with Steve coming back and trying to join a discussion on intensive reading.
1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6792 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 91 of 116
18 April 2012 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
When the owner/author of a product joins a thread, if he keeps answering every single critical post about the product, he runs the risk of creating the appearance of taking over the thread for his own purposes, which to some may even look almost as if he were trying to squelch the free discussion of his product. On the other hand, a summary clarification post or two, with the debate flowing unhindered in the meantime, would be less likely to appear intrusive to the other thread participants. Of course, we also got sidetracked into other topics in this thread, e.g., how to learn grammar, etc, so these remarks only apply to the posts written in reply to those discussing the pros and cons of lingq.

Edited by frenkeld on 19 April 2012 at 3:24am

5 persons have voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5918 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 92 of 116
18 April 2012 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
lwtproject wrote:
I would not call less than 10 posts within the last six months "spamming".

I would tend to say "fair enough" in this kind of situation but on those grounds (less than 10 posts within the last six months) maybe those "VȈRŪS ALEŖŦ", "Deposiƫ Notīce", "congratulations!", "Belly Fat Blast", "R0LEX-REPLICAS", "Canadian-Pharmacy" or "iFOREX" posts are not spam either

Quote:
The reactions about LWT are mostly positive..

yep. in fact, I use it from time to time and I reckon it is quite useful. it's just, it's not really difficult to see why steve/lingqers do not like this kinda cloned version

Quote:
..mostly negative paired with wrong statements..

not necessarily most of the negative ones are paired with wrong statements but, of course, there are some

Serpent wrote:
I just mean that for example when Cainntear was banned, the only explanation was that it had to do with Benny.

what???.. Cainntear was banned? I mean, that shouldn't surprise me, but what?.. irony off, that's kinda sad cause although he was "a little bit" harsh, he gave away tons of really good advices too

Edited by tmp011007 on 18 April 2012 at 10:24pm

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4840 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 93 of 116
18 April 2012 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
That's why I said it was a little bit unlucky Steve decided to join the discussion! I
hope he didn't take offence! I have nothing against him joining in, as far as he holds
an open-minded attitude (He says himself he would expect an "open and free thread,
where people express their opinions, or provide information supporting different points
of view".). Unfortunately I can't get rid of the impression that criticism isn't very
welcome, and discussing about LingQ is just ok, as long as people say that it is a
great tool.

I've been reading/following discussions about LingQ for about a year in forums, blogs
(without joining), and many ended up in a dispute, a lose-lose situation as outcome.
This is sad, because we're all here to discuss things around our passion, which is
languages.

I repeat: I do think this resource is a great tool, but is still has some bugs.
The question is not about pro or contra!
Maybe I just got the wrong impression about the whole thing. So, to close, I would like
to state that I am open to serious discussions, and willing to change my mind if I am
barking up the wrong tree. I am really sorry if I upset someone with my posts, it was
not my intention.

Edited by Mae on 18 April 2012 at 10:00pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5409 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 94 of 116
19 April 2012 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
Personally I find that Svejk's robust defending of his system is actually symptomatic of the reasons for that site not being more successful. People have been making the same criticisms of Lingq for years, on that Site's own forum and elsewhere, but instead of listening to them Sveik and the other long standing members always try and counter the criticism, continually repeating what a great system it is, how much they love it, and that anybody that can't put up with a few little glitches must be an idiot.

Over the years a lot of the problems have now been resolved and the system improved, and Sveijk must and should be very proud of what he has achieved, but simply from a normal commercial viewpoint, he should spend more time listening to his (potential)customers and less time telling them how they're wrong.

Edited by schoenewaelder on 19 April 2012 at 3:38pm

12 persons have voted this message useful

Švejk
Super Polyglot
Canada
lingq.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4455 days ago

29 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Japanese, French, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese
Studies: Czech

Message 95 of 116
19 April 2012 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
I am not sure what is meant by robust defending of LingQ. There were a few long posts and a number of shorter
ones, with comments and criticisms about LingQ. Reference was made to our learning philosophy, ease of use
and navigation issues, our bare bones forum, lack of private messaging, how we count words, the point expiry
issue and a few more that I have forgotten.

I tried to answer each of the points raised. I tried to explain our learning philosophy, one that is based on how I
learn, and which, of course, may not appeal to all learners. I explained that the forum and private messaging were
not areas of high priority, since with limited resources we are forced to make choices. I explained that our
navigation and ease of use has improved and will continue to improve. I went over the points system which, in our
view, has enabled us to accumulate a vast library of content in different languages, and I admitted that the
organization of our Libraries, and the quality control in the Libraries, are areas we need to improve. I pointed out
that we do not censor on our forum with a few exceptions, and certainly not for negative comments about LingQ,
which we receive from time to time, and which along with the positive comments, guide us in our develop strategy.

This will be the 95th post on this thread entitled "the pros and cons of LingQ". It is my 5th post responding to
specific points raised about LingQ. ( I have also joined in other discussions as the thread wandered into other
areas).

I have tried to address, in detail, each specific point raised by people on this forum. There has been, I think, only
one response to the specific explanations I have provided. On the other hand there has been a number of
comments telling me that I am barging in, that my joining this discussion was "unlucky" (I presume this meant
unfortunate), that my defence of LingQ was too robust etc., that I don't accept criticism, that I don't listen to users
(assuming that people here are users).

I am curious, did anyone read the specific answers that I provided. If so , are there any further comments on those
answers.

3 persons have voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6792 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 96 of 116
19 April 2012 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
I have more like another question, although it ties a bit with my previous comment and your reply about the dictionaries. I remember asking once about some sort of lexical/grammar analyzer for German that would pick up on the separable verb prefixes that are located elsewhere in the sentence. It's not hard to identify them without any tool, of course, but then I recall I had to struggle a bit to enter the right verb in a flahscard after the one without the prefix was picked up by the system.

So, the question is whether (a) such lexical analyzer tools are in lingq for some of the languages, German among them, and (b) how easy is it to correct the word that needs to be looked up.

Edited by frenkeld on 19 April 2012 at 8:07pm

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version