Language Learning Forum : Links & Internet Resources Post Reply
116 messages over 15 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 ... 14 15 Next >>
Švejk
Super Polyglot
Canada
lingq.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4455 days ago

29 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Japanese, French, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese
Studies: Czech

Message 97 of 116
19 April 2012 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
I have more like another question, although it ties a bit with my previous comment and your
reply about the dictionaries. I remember asking once about some sort of lexical/grammar analyzer for German that
would pick up on the separable verb prefixes that are located elsewhere in the sentence. It's not hard to identify
them without any tool, of course, but then I recall I had to struggle a bit to enter the right verb in a flahscard after
the one without the prefix was picked up by the system.

So, the question is whether (a) such lexical analyzer tools are in lingq for some of the languages, German among
them, and (b) how easy is it to correct the word that needs to be looked up.

1) With regard to dictionaries, for German alone you can choose from about 35 dictionaries. You can make one of
them your default dictionary and have a few others set up for easy access. There are at least two dictionaries for
German that are conjugating dictionaries. The number of dictionaries will vary from language to language. If a
user asks us to add a dictionary we do so wherever possible.

2) You can change the word or term that you want to save to your flash card. There is a little pencil beside the term
in your card, you just click on it to edit.

These are the kinds of issues that arise at our forums and we try to respond as best we can.
1 person has voted this message useful

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4840 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 98 of 116
19 April 2012 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
Švejk wrote:
On the other hand there has been a number of comments telling me that I
am barging in, that my joining this discussion was "unlucky" (I presume this meant
unfortunate), that my defence of LingQ was too robust etc., that I don't accept
criticism, that I don't listen to users (assuming that people here are users).

Well, I guess you mean my comments. Švejk, I wrote that it was nothing personal. I just
found that you couldn't participate to a discussion without being absolutely impartial,
since Lingq is you "baby", and you must have economical interests too. I do not
say that this is reprehensible, just that it does not allow you to be impartial. That's
it.

Švejk wrote:
I am curious, did anyone read the specific answers that I provided. If
so, are there any further comments on those answers.

Yes, I've read the answers too. If you read my complete posts, you must have noticed
that I didn't say it was a bad tool and that I'd never use it again.

And here is a specific question. In your first post you said:
Švejk wrote:
There are 20 languages at LingQ. It works better for some languages than
others. [...] Lesson quality is an issue. We have an enormous quantity of lessons.
Members can rate them and alert us to bad content, for us to cull. All lessons are free
to the users, so it is just a matter of choosing lessons that you like. The Library is
one of many areas we will be improving over the next few months.

Not all lessons are frequented equally, and of course each lesson has different
content. What I missed a little bit was a defined standard on all lessons. I have had
conversation with other (very popular) polyglots about this level issue, finding that
it could be the weakest point of LingQ at the moment.
I am willing to rejoin and also to pay for the extras if there was a standard level for
all lessons. Of course, there were lessons I liked, but for learning it is much more
relevant that they are useful than funny. I might like a lesson, but what if it doesn't
help me to make any progress?
Please, do not believe that I want to talk this project down. You deserve a lot of
respect for starting a project with limited resources, to pass on your experience with
language learning.
Hopefully I will not end in the "hate"-corner, because such kind of struggles between
polyglots are unproductive and nothing but a waste of time and energy, one could use
better for language learning. Peace?

2 persons have voted this message useful

Švejk
Super Polyglot
Canada
Joined 4455 days ago

29 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Japanese, French, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 99 of 116
19 April 2012 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 

Not all lessons are frequented equally, and of course each lesson has different
content. What I missed a little bit was a defined standard on all lessons. I have had
conversation with other (very popular) polyglots about this level issue, finding that
it could be the weakest point of LingQ at the moment.
I am willing to rejoin and also to pay for the extras if there was a standard level for
all lessons. Of course, there were lessons I liked, but for learning it is much more
relevant that they are useful than funny. I might like a lesson, but what if it doesn't
help me to make any progress?
Please, do not believe that I want to talk this project down. You deserve a lot of
respect for starting a project with limited resources, to pass on your experience with
language learning.
Hopefully I will not end in the "hate"-corner, because such kind of struggles between
polyglots are unproductive and nothing but a waste of time and energy, one could use
better for language learning. Peace?
[/QUOTE]

The library is an area that we are now working on improving.

It is my view that to progress in a language, we primarily need content of interest, more or less at our level, to
listen to and read. In my experience, if a lesson is interesting, it will be useful.

Our interests vary over time, so we will eventually cover a wider and wider range of subject matter, acquiring the
necessary vocabulary. There are lessons that specifically focus on certain aspects of language structure and
grammar points, at varying levels of difficulty and all in the target language.

Some lessons contain additional notes, explanations, videos, translations and resources to help the learner. It
depends on what the lesson creator provided.

In all cases we need to make it easier for people to find what they want. We will also add more structure, in other
words, more advice on what to study and in what order.

These are just some of the things we are working on to make the library better. I don't know if that answers your
question.

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4840 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 100 of 116
19 April 2012 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
Yes, it does. Thank you for answering.

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5409 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 101 of 116
20 April 2012 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
Hallo Svejk

The ridiculous thing about this whole discussion, is that Wulfgar basically gave Lingq an excellent review.

Wulfgar wrote:
Overall, this is an absolutely superb tool. With the possible exception of my SRS, it’s the single most useful language tool that I have. Regardless of the cons listed below, I highly recommend it.

and then went on to list a handfull of specific points that detracted from it's superbness. You could have just said: "Thank you very much". It's a while since Lingq got a mention here, and I imagine you must have had a bit of traffic from the free advertising. But from the whole tone of the debate, you would think we all hate it. In fact Lingq almost always gets good reviews, probably better than any other language site. And for most of the members here, text plus audio is exactly what we want as our basic language learning resources. (Naturally, there are a few other aspects, but I don't personally think that everything needs to be available on the same site).

I accept that any misunderstandings of the operation of Lingq needed to be corrected (like being able to remove all the blue words with a single click) but the volume of your responses was a bit overwhelming, and at times snidey, as no doubt you find mine, but then I don't have a product that I want you to use. :)

You were also dissmissive of a couple of long standing complaints that people seem to be quite bitter about, and are *frequently* mentioned on your own forums: the points issue, and recognition for vouluntary help. You really either need to find a solution or a better justification for such a sensitive issue.

You also started a thread on your own forum, presumably to encourage the other members to respond here. The first comment from a member said "I read that thread. same old" Do you not see the ridiculousnes of that comment? Can you imagine a commercial enterprise being succesful by saying "We got a load of criticism, but it's just exactly the same old stuff we've been getting for the last 4 years, so I think we can safely ignore it. Now onto important business. Does anyone have any idea why more new members aren't signing up?"

And the yet ridiculouser part is, that we're your natural target audience. You should be begging us to tell you exactly what we don't like about it, so that you can fix it, especially for us, but instead you act as if we're some sort of rivals, that you need convince of the wonderfulness of your system by beating us into submission.

It's possibly a little unfair to hold you responsible for the words and opinions of your members (but you did start that thread, and they do tend to follow your tone and opinions) but do you really think that anyone from this forum will be encouraged to join your site after reading the negative sentiment expressed in that thread? You should be starting threads called "Hug HTLAL day" or something. Less "Taliban", more "Hearts and Minds".

edit: Sorry for bad spelling/typing. This screen is too small + other excuses

Edited by schoenewaelder on 20 April 2012 at 3:30pm

17 persons have voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5409 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 

Message 102 of 116
20 April 2012 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
The trouble with topics like this is, once you start, you keep getting sucked further in.

BTW: At the moment, I don't use Lingq much because I don't have broadband, but I have listened to quite a lot of their material in the past, and if I live long enough to start another language, would use it more in the future.

In my view, Ling has an underlying problem with it's basic philosophy. it doesn't know if it's Svejk's plaything (with consequent dictatorial rights), a friendly democratic community helping each other, with "giving" or "sharing" just for the pleasure of it (like lang-8 or tatoeba), or a commercial enterprise.

At the moment, they try to emphasise the community aspect, encouraging everyone to contribute material, but at the same, members (and administrators) in the forums are always making snidey comments about people wanting stuff for free, while causing resentment (as mentioned before) by exploiting the members and contributors, through the points expiring, or not being rewarded for work done.

The community idea is a nice starting point. For example, if any HTLAL member contributed lessons, I would definitely look at them. But I think it would no longer be relevant if Linq becomes really successful, as there will be simply too many mmembers (eg at Lang-8, there isn't so much a community feeling, you have to find your own friends in the mass)

One of the most annoying issues is the constant bitching about Benny. Whether they think they are a community, or a commercial enterprise, constantly slagging off the hero of (probably?) the most widely followed language blog on the planet, isn't a very sensible strategy, irrespective of whether you think he is a charlatan, or even if he actually is. (And all the bloody time. Please, just stop it. Really.) If they actually read Benny's blog and forum (which, apart from the titles, they appear not to feel the need to do) they would realise that many/most of Benny's followers actually are also seeking perfectly conventional learning materials, and are more potential customers.

One of the reasons I do visit Lingq at the moment, is because the German forum is much more active than here (although I don't dare post - they're too good), and the best thing about the German forum is "Ilovelanguages" aka Robert from Austria

Edited by schoenewaelder on 20 April 2012 at 3:42pm

11 persons have voted this message useful

Švejk
Super Polyglot
Canada
Joined 4455 days ago

29 posts - 77 votes 

Message 103 of 116
20 April 2012 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
In fact, this thread started with a post from Wulfgar, in which he acknowledged that he found LingQ useful, and
then presented 5 or 6 specific issues that bothered him. This was followed by 8 or 9 posts by others with criticism
or complaints about LingQ, some of which referred to their experience 3 or 4 years ago.

I have summarized in a post above here what the main points raised were, and how I responded to them.

I don't understand why some people feel that we at LingQ are obliged to change our ways of doing things in
response to comments at HTLAL, nor why the many people who comment on our forum are obliged to conform to
the wishes of people here. None of the contributors to our forum are spokespeople for LingQ.

Anyone here at HTLAL is welcome to comment on a LingQ forum, and to engage members of our community in any
discussion they want. We don't control what people say. They don't all follow "my tone". We often have debates on
any number of issues, and no one is censored for their opinions.

We have discussed the points issue at our forum, which is really where this discussion belongs. Points are either
purchased or earned. Points are like tuition fees, required only for interacting with a tutor. At a school you pay your
tuition fees up front, and they are gone whether you attend class or not. At LingQ you can buy as few points as you
want or need. You can buy just enough for one discussion with a tutor and buy them just before you sign up. Once
you have bought them you have to use them within three months, or give them away to other members. It has been
our experience that this encourages more activity with our tutors. Without this constraint, users tend to hoard their
points.

Points are also earned, either from the use of content in the library, or from providing tutor services. Since the
points earned from content come from the confiscated points, people who earn points that way would, without
points confiscation, earn no points.

Tutors can convert their points into cash, but there is a minimum level they need to reach in order to be able to
cash in. Some tutors only want the points to use on the site. It is our view that the points expiry system in fact
generates more activity for our tutors. If points are unused, as I said, they can also be gifted to other members. All
things considered, we still feel that for the majority of users of the site, the points system serves its purposes. I any
case, the proper place for this discussion is really our forum at LingQ.

Re compensation for translation, there are many, many people who have contributed to translating and continue to
do so. It is difficult to keep track of all the people who translate different parts of the interface into the 15 or so
languages, and most of these people are happy to help out. It would be very expensive to pay for all of this
translation so we greatly appreciate the help. This is not so unusual on the internet.

LingQ is first and foremost a place where people come to learn languages. There are a number of ways in which
people help each other, and it starts with the content that is provided every month for up to 20 languages. This is
available to anyone for free download. The access to this vast resource of audio and text content, at different levels
of difficulty, for 20 languages, represents by far the largest use of LingQ. It is free.

All of the infrastructure to support these free resources, and for the learning functionality and community
functions at LingQ had to be conceived, and implemented by people. These people work full time, and therefore
need to be compensated. There are constant changes and improvements, bug fixes, and adaptation to new
technology and changes in browsers. This is a lot of work. Therefore LingQ is necessarily a commercial enterprise,
since we have no other source of funding.

I believe in free debate and discussion. I present my views in a straight forward manner, and welcome people to
disagree with me. That does not mean that I expect to persuade anyone, nor that I am necessarily persuaded by
what others say. The essence of discussion is not persuasion, but a diversity of views, which stimulates thought
and further discussion. Schoenewaleder may not want some of our members to talk about Benny, or to express
their views of HTLAL, but that is not something that he/she can control, nor something that I want to control.

I can assure you we exercise far less control or pressure on what people say and how they say it at the LingQ
forums, than is the case here at HTLAL.

Edited by Švejk on 20 April 2012 at 5:36pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5409 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 

Message 104 of 116
20 April 2012 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
Švejk wrote:
I can assure you we exercise far less control or pressure on what people say and how they say it at the LingQ forums, than is the case here at HTLAL.

What is it you think we are censoring? I must admit, I try to exercise a little self-censorship whenever the subject of Benny comes up - we have threads on him too, just not so often, and they usually spiral out of control into personal abuse - but apart from that, as far as I'm aware, there are just the usual rules about being polite, and not making personal attacks.

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version