Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
384 messages over 48 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 35 ... 47 48 Next >>
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5083 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 273 of 384
28 June 2014 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
Stelle, you need to use the fourth icon from the left, the one that has the globe with what looks like two horizontal chain links. It's in between U and the email icon (which looks like an envelope) in order to post links.

So, click on the globe symbol. Name your link. Click through to add the copied address. Click "ok". You're done.

Stop worrying abut "losing everything" and start copying and pasting into a word/open office file, print the pages to pdf (easier) or save pages as html files! Then email to yourself, save in an external hard drive and/or upload to a cloud service. Backing up is always a wise thing to do with anything web or hard drive based. With 34 pages here it will take a bit of time but it's not that onerous a task. In this way, you will have all your data to hand and copy and paste it to a next forum at any time.

HTLAL will go down again, but the membership won't let it die, despite the benign neglect of our administrator. As much as I like leosmith and Benny, and as much as I dislike benign neglect, at least here our administrator/owner has no agenda of his own, or strongly held opinions, to promote. He has set up a framework here, which despite some members belief that it is overly restrictive, does provide a good place for civil discussion.

Edited by iguanamon on 28 June 2014 at 3:27pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3965 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 274 of 384
28 June 2014 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Stelle, you need to use the fourth icon from the left, the one that has the globe with what
looks like two chain links. It's in between U and the email icon (which looks like an envelope).

That's what I do. But if the link address itself is too long (ie. longer than one line of text), then I end up with
something like this when I post:

pg.html>whatever I write as the descriptor

The link is broken and doesn't lead to the page. I have to go back and edit the link to shorten it - either take out
the "www" or the "html". It doesn't always work, though. If it's particularly long, it's impossible to shorten it
enough to fit on one line.

And the only way for me to post a link without a line break is to have a very short link address AND a one-word
descriptor. So… "click" will give me this:

click

But… "click here for more info" will give me this:

click here for
more info

Even then, I have to put the link on its own line, since trying to embed it in a paragraph results in a broken link.

It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it can be annoying! Maybe it's a glitch that only affects me? I
have the same issue whether I'm posting in my own log or in someone else's.
1 person has voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5196 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 275 of 384
28 June 2014 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
Great and motivating post, Stelle (although, Iguanamon gets credit for the VOA Noticias program). VOA is great and has finally given me something I can listen to in the car on the way to work.

How did you find FSI lesson 47? I recall that was one of the tough ones. I think 48 was the other tough one also. Are you able to do the entire dialogue at the beginning? Some of the things they expect you to be able to remember and repeat seem way too long and I could never do them. The drills are rough too.

Is there audio for the Percy Jackson books? I have the first one, but prefer to "read" books and listen to the audio at the same time.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3965 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 276 of 384
28 June 2014 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
Great and motivating post, Stelle (although, Iguanamon gets credit for the VOA Noticias
program). VOA is great and has finally given me something I can listen to in the car on the way to work.

How did you find FSI lesson 47? I recall that was one of the tough ones. I think 48 was the other tough one also.
Are you able to do the entire dialogue at the beginning? Some of the things they expect you to be able to
remember and repeat seem way too long and I could never do them. The drills are rough too.

Is there audio for the Percy Jackson books? I have the first one, but prefer to "read" books and listen to the audio
at the same time.

I found lesson 47 introduced *a lot* of different structures very quickly. I was already familiar with most of them,
so it was ok, but I think it would be very difficult if that were the only source of Spanish. The dialogue at the
beginning was so long! I think it was 20 minutes of repetition.

I found one drill in particular very difficult:

Escuche.
Que me dijo el?
Te dijo que escucharas.

Made my head spin just trying to figure out which pronouns to use! I'll have to repeat that drill.

I don't have the audio for the Percy Jackson books. That doesn't mean that it doesn't exist! :)

Edited by Stelle on 28 June 2014 at 3:34pm

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3965 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 277 of 384
28 June 2014 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Stop worrying abut "losing everything" and start copying and pasting into a word/open
office file, print the pages to pdf (easier) or save pages as html files! Then email to yourself, save in an external
hard drive and/or upload to a cloud service. Backing up is always a wise thing to do with anything web or hard
drive based. With 34 pages here it will take a bit of time but it's not that onerous a task. In this way, you will have
all your data to hand and copy and paste it to a next forum at any time.

HTLAL will go down again, but the membership won't let it die, despite the benign neglect of our administrator.
As much as I like leosmith and Benny, and as much as I dislike benign neglect, at least here our
administrator/owner has no agenda of his own, or strongly held opinions, to promote. He has set up a framework
here, which despite some members belief that it is overly restrictive, does provide a good place for civil
discussion.

Honestly, I'm not worried! I had a day of frustration a few weeks ago, but I got over it. I'll probably back up my
log someday, but the log is much less important than the learning itself. I love HTLAL. It's my very favourite place
in the whole wide web. ;)

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5216 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 278 of 384
28 June 2014 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
iguanamon wrote:
Stop worrying abut "losing everything" and start copying and pasting into a word/open office file, print the pages to pdf (easier) or save pages as html files! Then email to yourself, save in an external hard drive and/or upload to a cloud service. Backing up is always a wise thing to do with anything web or hard drive based. With 34 pages here it will take a bit of time but it's not that onerous a task. In this way, you will have all your data to hand and copy and paste it to a next forum at any time.

Honestly, I'm not worried! I had a day of frustration a few weeks ago, but I got over it. I'll probably back up my
log someday, but the log is much less important than the learning itself. I love HTLAL. It's my very favourite place
in the whole wide web. ;)

Not sure if you're aware, but there is a "Printable Version" link at the bottom of each thread, next to the Post Reply/New Topic buttons, that will allow you to print an entire thread. I recommend printing to PDF and just saving the file. I do that with a few of the bigger threads (like You Know You're a Language Nerd when..) I don't keep up with all the time but would really hate to lose. The layout of it isn't the best, but all the info is there if you ever need it. And it really only takes a minute or two. :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5083 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 279 of 384
29 June 2014 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
I've never had the link problem you're referring to and post them all the time. I do know that if you save google links without clicking through to the page, they're huge with multiple lines. Bitly does a great job shortening links. I also have to insert links manually into paragraphs. Forum software places the link after the last text. You do have to copy and paste them inside the paragraph while deleting the position of the, now redundant, link from were the forum software automatically places it. It's a hassle, I know. Don't know if the browser makes a difference but HTLAL's software doesn't seem to like or get along with Chrome at all. I use Firefox with HTLAL.

This is just one of the many technical issues long overdue for an upgrade that tend to frustrate people.

Edited by iguanamon on 29 June 2014 at 5:39pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5356 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 280 of 384
29 June 2014 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
I have the same link problem, but based on the word wrapping that I see in both my
posts and in Stelle's, I wonder if we use the same browser setup. I use Chromium (in
Linux) and Chrome (in Windows) as my primary browser choice now, which always seems to
force word wraps when you post messages here and I believe this behavior is breaking
the links more easily than with other browsers. I looked into this wrapping behavior
previously and, if I recall, I found that there is one specific type of text wrapping
option in HTML that Chromium/Chrome interprets differently than the other browsers and
causes it to use a hard carriage return rather than a soft carriage return. I've found
that forcing a link onto its own line and keeping the description short helps a lot,
but it still doesn't guarantee it won't end up long enough to trip the word wrap.

Also, I've found that the word wrapping behaves differently on the edit post screen vs.
the post reply screen, so it appears the tag options on the TEXTAREA box are different
between the two screens (or perhaps the TEXTAREA box is just wider). For example, if
you edit a post and manually remove all the carriage returns and replace them with
spaces, they tend to result in longer widths to the posts than posting that same text
into a reply field.

This discussion contains 384 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version