Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
13 messages over 2 pages: 1
mizunooto
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4620 days ago

42 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Mandarin, Japanese, Polish, Kazakh, Malay

Message 9 of 13
13 May 2012 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
That sounds good to me. The best thing is it sounds like you are good at making a plan and sticking to it!

Depending on what language material you are learning, it would be nice to be able to see the K/H that belong to the words you're learning. That way you are learning to recognise them - though I don't think you would exactly 'study' this part of it, just sort of register it (it doesn't hurt to have extra help). I'm doing pinyin for Mandarin as I haven't gone to my next stage of character learning yet, but I have the Hanzi up there too just for reference. (I'd better get on with it too!! I think I know about 1800 which is a start~~)

Lots of people don't like the Heisig book 2 but I say it still has information that we don't necessarily know, so that's good. I have the Rick Harbaugh book "Chinese Characters - a Genealogy and Dictionary" which I think covers about 5000. I think it's useful. (the content is the same as the site http://www.zhongwen.com/)

Very good luck!!

[By the way, I don't have the RTH books, but if the radicals are treated slightly differently or named differently between the volumes then you should come to some decision about what you're going to call them, I think.]

PS I think for something like this it's almost essential to have the characters in an SRS like Anki. If you have a list of 5000 objects, it might be difficult to know which to revise today. If you do go this way, go file>download>shared deck and search for a deck someone has already made for Hanzi or whatever you want. Of course, you don't have to use this! I think it saves time and trouble though. [I really dislike Anki but it's the best one, sorry about that~]

Edited by mizunooto on 13 May 2012 at 11:30pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5458 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 10 of 13
14 May 2012 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
Lucky Charms wrote:

What I DON'T recommend is learning it like this:

日 (sun)
Zh: rì
Jp: hi, bi, nichi, jitsu, ka
Ko: il

This is probably my biggest pet-peeve in Japanese language education, and adding other
languages on top of it is just going to ensure you're studying for years before you can
do anything fun with the language. You can visit kanjidamage.com for a few essay-length
rants about why learning all the readings in a list this way at the same time you're
learning the meaning is so inefficent.

Hmm...that's pretty much exactly what I was considering doing in my case (i.e. adding the Japanese readings to my existing Hanja cards). What would you suggest in my case (where I'm already learning them with Korean readings)? Would you instead continue to learn them as Hanja (and not worry about Japanese readings at all yet)? Ignoring the readings completely (at least for Korean) seems pointless since that removes one of the most useful parts of learning Hanja. Often when I see a new word, I can immediately picture which "Hanja" applies to each of the syllables of that word which makes it stick far better than those I can't link elsewhere. Without knowing the readings, this would not really be possible as there would be no real link between a Hangul syllable and the Chinese character.

I sort of understand when people recommend dividing the task for Japanese, but that is partly due to Japanese having at least 2 readings (native + Sino) for most characters (and lots more for some of them). In contrast, the vast majority of Hanja characters (and I get the impression that Hanzi is the same) have only one reading (Sino). This is also why one of the fields on my Hanja cards contain example Korean words whose Hanja equivalent contains that character (which would be pointless without linking the reading). (For example, the card for 公(공), would contain words like 공원(公園) and 공주(公主) which are associated those characters. Thus when I learn a new word containing 공 that uses a similar meaning, my brain goes: "Oh, *that* 공!".)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6520 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 13
14 May 2012 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
If that's SRS, I don't recommend adding Japanese to your existing cards simply because of the intervals.
Also, cards like this are stressful. I used to have about 500 in Latin/Portuguese/Esperanto/Romanian but I just can't revise them anymore. For these languages that's no problem but keep this in mind if you want to keep revising the cards in a few years.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6872 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 12 of 13
14 May 2012 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
Off-topic, but I think we might have downloaded the same hanja deck from Anki :)

I agree with your reasons for learning the Korean pronunciations along with the hanja;
as you said, there's usually only one reading, and also, there are much fewer hanja
you'd need to memorize for vocab-building purposes (my downloadable deck has around
500), so learning the readings together shouldn't be such a burden.

For Japanese, though, it's not just that there are commonly several readings per
character, but that some of the readings are so rarely used, or only used in certain
contexts, that it doesn't make sense to learn them in a list outside of context. To use
your example of 公, the Sino-Japanese reading "kou" is often used, but I've probably
never in my life come across the native Japanese reading of "ooyake". Other kanji will
mostly use the native Japanese reading, and the Sino-Japanese reading will not be worth
learning. It's a shame that most learning resources don't reflect this.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5458 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 13 of 13
14 May 2012 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
If that's SRS, I don't recommend adding Japanese to your existing cards simply because of the intervals.
Also, cards like this are stressful. I used to have about 500 in Latin/Portuguese/Esperanto/Romanian but I just can't revise them anymore. For these languages that's no problem but keep this in mind if you want to keep revising the cards in a few years.

If I did add the Japanese reading to a card, I would then reschedule that card as new to reset the intervals. As such, I would also not add Japanese readings to cards at a notably faster pace than I would add new characters (as it has the same effect on my review counts).

Lucky Charms wrote:
Off-topic, but I think we might have downloaded the same hanja deck from Anki :)

If that comment was directed to me, my Hanja deck was actually created from scratch, not downloaded. Initially I was only adding Hanja that I saw frequently (mostly on variety shows as on-screen text), but later started working through "A Guide To Korean Characters" and began adding new characters from it.

Quote:
For Japanese, though, it's not just that there are commonly several readings per
character, but that some of the readings are so rarely used, or only used in certain
contexts, that it doesn't make sense to learn them in a list outside of context. To use
your example of 公, the Sino-Japanese reading "kou" is often used, but I've probably
never in my life come across the native Japanese reading of "ooyake". Other kanji will
mostly use the native Japanese reading, and the Sino-Japanese reading will not be worth
learning. It's a shame that most learning resources don't reflect this.

True. However, I fortunately followed your link to kanjidamage.com (shortly after posting that reply asking you for further input) and started reading there and it seems they've gone out of their way to actively avoid that issue with their materials. I've downloaded the Kanjidamage deck in Anki (that was referenced in a forum post there), but haven't decided whether to just start in on that deck separately or somehow merge that deck with my existing Hanja deck.

Edited by Warp3 on 14 May 2012 at 4:21pm

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version