Triglot
Germany
Joined 4802 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 1 of 6
10 February 2012 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
I'm experimenting with SRS flashcards at the moment and found out that reviewing all words in practice sentences
takes a long time and may therefore be a bit inefficient. But whereas learning nouns, adverbs and adjectives in
isolation seems to work well, the same doesn't hold true for verbs. (Edit:) Verbs usually seem more context
dependent and often have several meanings and they won't stick well in my memory if I study them in isolation.
I'm wondering if you use different methods to memorize different word classes?

Edited by druckfehler on 11 February 2012 at 12:30am

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6637 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 6
10 February 2012 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
I use my wordlist layout for all wordclasses. However I sometimes put simple annotations at the words, and these will of course bedifferent from wordclass to wordclass. For instance you can mostly guess the aorist of a Greek verb if you are told one consonant in the ending, and it is not too much trouble to indicate that consonant. Likewise people who learn Germanic verbs will benefit from being told the past tense vowel of strong verbs (also because verbs without a vowel change will be weak). On the other hand people who learn German will benefit from marking the gender of substantives, and one graphical sign won't fill a lot of space on the paper.

druckfehler uses flashcards with example sentences, but as far as I can see this doesn't mean that different wordclasses behave differently.
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4802 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 3 of 6
10 February 2012 at 8:14pm | IP Logged 
Maybe it's just a problem I have with verbs in general, I'm not sure. I have trouble memorizing them both in Korean and in Hebrew, whereas nouns are relatively easy to remember. I can't remember having that problem with English, but then I learned most verbs in context by extensive reading. It's possible that my problem is that verbs often have a higher level of abstraction, or that they are defined by action instead of characteristic.

Do you find all word classes equally easy/difficult to memorize? And how do you handle verbs with many meanings? Do you only study one of the meanings per wordlist or do you study all of them at once?

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 4 of 6
10 February 2012 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
I also noticed that learning verbs in isolation is slower than nouns. Furtunately, a lot of Japanese verbs are actually nouns with a する attached, so if i just learn them as the nouns they originally are, I'm okay.
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4802 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 5 of 6
11 February 2012 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
It doesn't seem to be a subjective preference. I just found another explanation for the difficulty of learning verns
in Kato Lomb's book "Polyglot. How I Learn Languages":

"You can learn most easily nouns that refer to a specific object
(house, window, book, pencil). Then come adjectives denot-
ing perceptible properties (color, form, size). Then follow
abstract nouns, and then verbs that express an easily imag-
inable, specific action (run, give, bring). In my experience
verbs expressing a symbolic action are the hardest to learn
(complete, ensure, refer). Verbs are so far down this list because they constitute
the word-class with the most changeable form."

I think that warrants a different memorization technique for verbs, I just haven't found a really effective one yet.
Any ideas?

Edited by druckfehler on 11 February 2012 at 12:30am

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5469 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 6 of 6
11 February 2012 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
atama warui wrote:
I also noticed that learning verbs in isolation is slower than nouns. Furtunately, a lot of Japanese verbs are actually nouns with a する attached, so if i just learn them as the nouns they originally are, I'm okay.

I'm pretty much the exact opposite. Korean verbs/adjectives that come from Chinese roots (or from pretty much any other language, including English) are usually nouns with 하다 attached (or sometimes other verbs, but that one is the most common). Generally, I opt to learn those in verb/adjective form (then just mentally extrapolate the noun form if needed).

Edited by Warp3 on 11 February 2012 at 1:05am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version