France
Joined 4635 days ago

87 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 11
11 February 2012 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
Hi :)

So, I started to learn Korean 10 days ago with Pimsleur and Rosetta Stone. Korean is my
second foreign language that I learn after English. Learning English was mainly based
on listening because English and French (my mother tongue) are quite similar and use
the same alphabet. But, for Korean, it's quite different. I can read hangeul but very
slowly and when I first watch a Korean text, my eyes are lost. It looks like a big
drawing and my eyes fail to identify a word immediately. Generally, with English, when
I started, my eye used to to capture at least a word I've already seen. But it doesn't
work with Korean for now. I wonder what's the best method to learn how to read easily
(even without understanding what the sentences mean).

Thanks ! :)

Edited by Everything on 11 February 2012 at 7:32pm

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6843 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 11
11 February 2012 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
Luckily our own Sprachprofi has written a few lessons:
http://www.learnlangs.com/RWP/Korean/index.htm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5469 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 3 of 11
12 February 2012 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
Two things will speed up your reading skills in Korean:

1) Read...a lot. The more practice you get reading 한글 blocks the more natural it will become. It *really* sucks at first, but eventually your brain will finally start to process Korean syllable blocks as a language, not just strings of letters that you have to struggle through.

2) Learn vocabulary. Part of the reason you can read so fast in your native language is because your brain can process entire words and phrases at once after seeing them frequently enough (rather than actually sounding out anything). In Korean, it can't do this yet, due to your lack of vocabulary.

If I knew I shortcut to either of those, I'd suggest one, but the only real answer I can offer is: "Keep at it and it does get better before you know it." When I first starting learning Korean, I watched a lot of music shows stage performances and would find myself pausing the video to read what was on screen then letting it continue. (For those of you not familiar with Korean music shows, they show the lyrics on-screen during the performances.) One day I was reading along with the lyrics during a music show and it suddenly hit me that I could finish them before they disappeared from the screen, which made me very happy.

One show that seems particularly useful for doing this is 도전 1000곡 (Challenge 1000 Songs). It is a karaoke-style game show featuring various celebrities as the competitors. Not only do they include the lyrics on-screen (like they do with music shows) but they are much larger which makes them far easier to read. I also like to use this show for Sino-Korean number practice since the participant calls out their number choice and then the camera shows the number being typed into the machine afterward.
3 persons have voted this message useful

joyorbison
United Kingdom
Joined 4860 days ago

17 posts - 18 votes
Studies: Korean

Message 4 of 11
12 February 2012 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
I agree with what others have said but would like to add that it really helps if you can
find it 'fun'.

If you are in Korea, once you can read hangul then you can't stop yourself reading
everything. At least I couldn't. Reading English words transcribed into Korean on movie
posters etc. gave a great feeling. Also menus were a joy to read, "they do kimchi
and tuna ramyeon??". Just knuckle down and spend a couple of hours remembering the
sounds, then it should all be downhill as far as reading hangul is concerned.

Everything
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4635 days ago

87 posts - 167 votes 

Message 5 of 11
13 February 2012 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
Quote:
One show that seems particularly useful for doing this is 도전 1000곡 (Challenge
1000 Songs). It is a karaoke-style game show featuring various celebrities as the
competitors. Not only do they include the lyrics on-screen (like they do with music
shows) but they are much larger which makes them far easier to read. I also like to use
this show for Sino-Korean number practice since the participant calls out their number
choice and then the camera shows the number being typed into the machine afterward.

Awesome. Thanks :)

Quote:
2) Learn vocabulary.

How to ? Should I buy a book like "Korean Essential Vocabulary for Beginners" ?

Edited by Everything on 13 February 2012 at 9:11am

이희선
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4903 days ago

56 posts - 97 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 6 of 11
13 February 2012 at 12:54pm | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:

If I knew I shortcut to either of those, I'd suggest one, but the only real answer I can offer is: "Keep at it and it
does get better before you know it." When I first starting learning Korean, I watched a lot of music shows stage
performances and would find myself pausing the video to read what was on screen then letting it continue. (For
those of you not familiar with Korean music shows, they show the lyrics on-screen during the performances.)
One day I was reading along with the lyrics during a music show and it suddenly hit me that I could finish them
before they disappeared from the screen, which made me very happy.

One show that seems particularly useful for doing this is 도전 1000곡 (Challenge 1000 Songs). It is a karaoke-
style game show featuring various celebrities as the competitors. Not only do they include the lyrics on-screen
(like they do with music shows) but they are much larger which makes them far easier to read. I also like to use
this show for Sino-Korean number practice since the participant calls out their number choice and then the
camera shows the number being typed into the machine afterward.

I was just going to say --- forcing yourself to read lyrics while at a 노래방 is a great way to challenge oneself in
reading - it goes soooo fast!

for Everything, Just keep reading a lot - at first it helps to read something that has a recording, or with someone
who knows Korean so you can confirm that you're putting the right sounds where they should be. As you become
able to accurately turn the hangeul into sounds and words, and as you learn vocabulary (but you don't have to
know every word to read quicker), your reading will become faster and faster. It will all continue to come together
to make you a better reader.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5469 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 7 of 11
14 February 2012 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
Everything wrote:
Quote:
2) Learn vocabulary.

How to ? Should I buy a book like "Korean Essential Vocabulary for Beginners" ?

As I just posted a few minutes ago in your other thread, KEV6000 for Foreigners is ok, but I much prefer Survival Korean Vocabulary instead. (I own both and the latter is the better book by far.)

Even better, though, is to get vocabulary from whatever source interests you. Words that have meaning to you because of where you found them will be vastly easier to remember than words you randomly picked out of a vocabulary book. If Korean music interests you then look at song lyrics. K-dramas are tricky unless you luck out and find the script online, but Korean variety shows plaster text all over the screen. Find words that seem to appear quite frequently in your chosen source material and learn those. Then watch more and find more words that appear frequently then you didn't notice previously and learn those.

My vocabulary learning is a mix of tackling sections from SKV and noting words here and there from song lyrics, TV shows, movies, etc. Pulling words from the vocabulary book is efficient (especially since they are generally common words, so you should see them somewhat frequently), but the words you pull from context will have much more meaning behind them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Everything
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4635 days ago

87 posts - 167 votes 

Message 8 of 11
14 February 2012 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
What do you think about Survival Korean Basic Grammar Skills ?

Edited by Everything on 14 February 2012 at 9:36am

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version