United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5469 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 9 of 11
14 February 2012 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
It's decent for what it is designed to do. It covers a bit more grammar than the first book (Survival Korean) and is organized differently (one chapter per grammar item). However, as I noted in the other thread, Let's Speak Korean (the TV series featuring the same guy that wrote those two books) covers everything that SK:BG covers plus several other grammar forms that aren't there. Personally, I think you'd get more use out of going through Survival Korean (the green book) then watching LSK season 2 and 3 (and writing down any grammar forms they teach for later review), then using a site like koreangrammaticalforms.com for any grammar lookups you need to do later. I have SK:BG and it is well written, but a resource like LSK makes it somewhat unnecessary.

Also, if you haven't already, go to talktomeinkorean.com and start going through the lessons there. Their lessons (MP3 lessons with accompanying PDFs) are very informative and the interaction between the teachers can be quite humorous at times. When you move on to a more advanced level, their 이야기 dialogs are great for listening-reading practice (as those also include PDF transcripts). TTMIK does offer some items for sale (albeit very inexpensively) but the main lessons are completely free.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Everything
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4635 days ago

87 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 10 of 11
14 February 2012 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Warp3 :)

It's a bit off-topic but what about shadowing ?
What material do you use for shadowing ?

Actually I'm quite skeptical about shadowing. I mean, is it really an efficient way to
learn ?
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5469 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 11 of 11
14 February 2012 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
Personally I've never done any shadowing, so I can't really offer much advise about that topic. However, based on what I've read about it, there is no reason that something like 이야기 wouldn't work for shadowing material, since it is entirely in Korean and doesn't have any really notable gaps of silence in it. Survival Korean does come with audio on CD, which I assume contains the dialogs, but I've not actually listened to it, so I can't be 100% certain. If I remember when I get home this evening, I'll listen to the CDs from SK and verify what is on them.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version