United Kingdom
Joined 6263 days ago

60 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 4
01 January 2013 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
The French Project

After several abandoned attempts to learn French over the past few years, I feel ready to commit myself to finally getting to grips with this lovely language. Indeed, I have an important reason as my partner of eight years is French. While he speaks excellent English, my French is non-existant. As most of his relatives have no English either, family holidays in France are somewhat difficult, to say the least. I really have no more excuse to procrastinate and learning French would certainly make my life easier.

I would classify myself as almost a complete beginner. I had the typical UK school education of a couple of years of French between the ages of 12 and 14 or so, but that probably only left me with the ability to say a few words at best.

Over the last few years I have passively picked up some words and I guess I can recognize somewhere in the region of 200 words, but my speaking and listening ability is about zero. To all intents and purposes, I am a blank slate.

As I am fairly new to serious language learning, I suppose I will initially be learning as much about how to learn, as actual French itself. After a few abortive attempts to start learning, I guess I have also picked up some negative associations about language learning and in my mind, French has turned into a monster of seemingly insurmountable difficulty. I realise I need to let go of these beliefs and I think once I see a bit of progress I will overcome these limiting thoughts.

My goals for the year are:

Beginner - B1-B2 level.
6-8,000 word passive vocabulary
Competent conversational ability

I also hope to develop a consistent routine and to try several methods and strategies to determine what works best for me. I intend to work fairly intensively over the course of the year, but as I have an illness which includes Chronic Fatigue, it sometimes makes life rather difficult. My energy, stamina and ability to concentrate varies considerably from week to week, month to month, so I cannot make a definite statement about how many hours of study I can put in each day. I will just have to play it by ear and do whatever I can manage. I am determined to do something every day, however!

I have come up with a tentative plan outlining my activities for the next twelve months. I am sure once I get into studying, much of this will change or be refined as I get to know what works for me. At the moment I will be basing my studies on this plan of action:

1-6 Months

FSI French Phonology
Pimsleur French 1-3
Michel Thomas French Foundation, Advanced, Vocabulary & Language Builder Courses
Assimil New French With Ease
Living Language French Beginner-Intermediate
French In Action (after 3 months of study)
FSI French (after 3 months of study)

6-12 Months

Assimil Using French
Living Language French Advanced
French In Action
FSI French
Native Materials

Supplemented By:

Podcasts
French Films
Graded Readers
Vocab/Grammar Books
Anki
Speaking practice with a native (the boyfriend!)

Wish me luck! Advice/comments on my plan of action are most welcome!

Edited by Sulis on 01 January 2013 at 9:41pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Laurae
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4850 days ago

51 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 2 of 4
05 March 2013 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
Best of luck with your mission. I have also had several failed attempts at reigniting my secondary school French, so will be interesting to see how your chosen materials suit your needs. I'm hoping to start again myself some time this year!
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5344 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 4
05 March 2013 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
Sulis wrote:
After several abandoned attempts to learn French over the past few years, I feel ready to commit myself to finally getting to grips with this lovely language. Indeed, I have an important reason as my partner of eight years is French. While he speaks excellent English, my French is non-existant. As most of his relatives have no English either, family holidays in France are somewhat difficult, to say the least. I really have no more excuse to procrastinate and learning French would certainly make my life easier.

I would classify myself as almost a complete beginner. I had the typical UK school education of a couple of years of French between the ages of 12 and 14 or so, but that probably only left me with the ability to say a few words at best.

What a great project!

My wife is also a French speaker, and I started learning French from scratch about 5 years ago now (sometime after I turned 30). I passed my DELF B2 exam almost a year ago, which was a ton of fun, and I'm planning to sit a C1 exam this coming December. I chat with my in-laws on Skype all the time, and they send me really cool bandes dessinées (graphical novels) for Christmas. My big ambition for the year is to find some opportunities to use my French professionally (and work out the remaining kinks!).

Overall, I'd say that it took me 6 months of Assimil at 20–45 min/day to reach a wobbly A2, after which things trailed off a bit. But then I rebooted my French project, and made it from A2 to B2 in 4 months of full-time work. You can find the story in my log.

I also recommend that you check out tastyonion's log. He's been combining Assimil with lots of native media (including YouTube videos) from the very beginning. And when he was about 50 lessons into the active wave, he started going to lots of French-speaking meetups. The results have been pretty impressive, and he's way ahead of where I was at the same point in Assimil.

Looking over your courses, I'm quite impressed by the quality. But I notice you have a lot of beginner courses. This works great for some people, but other people wind up dividing their efforts between too many courses, and cover the same basic material over and over. So here's my suggestion: Try out as many courses as you'd like. If one or two courses just "click", use those as the backbone of your studies, and use the rest as supplements. But if you're really happy using lots of courses, that's great, too. Ultimately the only thing that matters is to keep going. As long as you're doing something with French and you're having fun, pretty much any study method will work out in the end.

Anyway, one of the great joys of learning French is that I've really gotten to know my in-laws much better. Even though most of them speak English to varying degrees, I see so much more of them when we're speaking French. I love the fact that we can take out a bottle of wine, heat up a raclette, and have a nice evening's conversation in French. And my in-laws don't need to struggle with their second or third language.

As noted above, learning a language is all about persistence. But it's definitely doable, and you'll be able to enjoy using it for the rest of your life. Good luck with your plans!
2 persons have voted this message useful

fezmond
Groupie
Korea, South
Joined 4738 days ago

72 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, French

Message 4 of 4
07 March 2013 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
Hi Sulis

I was pretty much in the same boat (sans partner) when it came to French - 2/3 years in
UK secondary school and then nothing at all for 14/15 years.

I'm also using a lot of the same materials as you - Assimil, FIA, FSI, Michel Thomas.

I've been at this since November, so 4 months in, it'll be interesting to see how you
progress. I'm sure you'll be far more productive than me and I hope you're well ahead
of me a few months down the road. As EMK said, doing a little every day works wonders.
Something I should take heed of myself. Tastyonions has a really good log going, check
it out.

Good luck with the studying

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version