Groupie
Romania
Joined 5009 days ago

79 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, EnglishC1, GermanB2

Message 25 of 39
31 October 2010 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
@Frieza

You're right about it covering B1 as well, I saw that after I posted.

Regarding your problem with the narrator's accent, I just use the English version. It's very well made. I know you're supposed to learn better if you hear explanations in your native tongue, but with your English it won't make any difference, not at this level.

For instance, when I write down vocabulary, if I can't find an accurate translation in my native tongue, I use an English word instead. It's worked well so far.

@tornus

Thanks but I didn't really learn all those words from scratch. Most of them I had known before so I was just remembering stuff. However, I'm trying to keep up with 20 new words per day now and since I passed the 1000 word mark, I'm entering foreign territory :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

valkyr
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 5009 days ago

79 posts - 112 votes 

Message 26 of 39
31 October 2010 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 

Elapsed time: 2 months

Vocabulary: +1172 words

I completed the 2nd series of "Deutsch Warum Nicht" course and I'm currently 6 lessons into the 3rd series. The dialogues are becoming more complex, but it's still pretty light.

I've managed the SRS properly this time around, however 20 new words per day may prove to be too much. I'll have to see how it goes, maybe I'll bring it down to 15 if it gets too hard.

valkyr
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 5009 days ago

79 posts - 112 votes 

Message 27 of 39
19 November 2010 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 

Elapsed time: 2 months 3 weeks

Vocabulary: +1336 words

Time for an update. As you can well see, I missed my vocabulary target by a wide margin. I was supposed to learn 20 new words / day but I ended up averaging less than 10. Part of it is because the 3rd part of "Deutsch Warum Nicht" was rather poor vocabulary-wise.

I am attending a course right now, but it's only for 1.5h / week. The best thing about it is that I can send the teacher essays and receive very detailed feedback. Also the conversation practice and the fact that some of the colleagues are above my level is quite helpful. The book we're using is "Berliner Platz 3" (B1 level). The texts are quite complex and, unlike "DW Warum Nicht", contain tons of new words.

I started using reverse flashcards in Anki. Until now I would only study them one way (Romanian/English --> German) but I noticed that I would often get stuck when encountering the German word in a text so I decided to do them in reverse as well.

Goals:

I plan to pass the 2000 word mark by the end of this year. Also, by that time, I should have covered most of the grammar. This would allow me to finally focus almost exclusively on listening / reading original material so I can get the necessary input.

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4947 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 28 of 39
20 November 2010 at 6:49am | IP Logged 
Great to hear about your progress! Good luck with meeting your goal of 2000 words by the end of this year. I think you can do it :D

valkyr
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 5009 days ago

79 posts - 112 votes 

Message 29 of 39
25 November 2010 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 

Elapsed time: 3 months

Vocabulary: +1400 words

I started the 4th module of the "Deutsch - Warum nicht?" course, and I'm glad to see that dialogs are becoming more complex.

One thing I don't like is that they stopped (at least for some lessons) listing the new vocabulary, so I have to go through the text and look up words by myself.

Another thing that bothers me is that they still explain everything in English, and I'm not talking about grammar issues. For instance, they describe at length (in English) all sorts of details about East Germany ... which is nice ... but does nothing for my German!

Edited by valkyr on 25 November 2010 at 7:03pm

valkyr
Triglot
Groupie
Romania
Joined 5009 days ago

79 posts - 112 votes 

Message 30 of 39
25 November 2010 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
@CheeseInsider

Thanks for your good wishes! I find it hard to add many new words right now unless I read authentic material (e.g. German newspapers), which I don't want to do just yet. Still, even with the watered down courses, I may reach this goal.

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5811 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 31 of 39
25 November 2010 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
I usually find newspapers harder to read, and less interesting than novels. I suggest searching around for an audiobook and a real book....perhaps something like Harry Potter that's not too difficult. If you have something that's fun to read, then you'll read it more, and you'll get more vocabulary almost accidentally.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6295 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 32 of 39
25 November 2010 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
You might like GermanPod101's Advanced Audio Blogs. These are recordings in German
dealing mostly with German culture, customs, cities, regions, holidays, idiosyncracies
etc. and they each come with a transcript, a translation of the entire text as well as a
vocabulary list containing the words that you're least likely to know. Season 3 is
probably better for your level as it's written in a more personal way and more funny
while still being educational. The other seasons are closer to scientific texts in style
and content. Get a trial account and try a bunch of these!

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version