giuls
Italy
Joined 4864 days ago

23 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: Italian*
Studies: English, German

Message 10 of 17
13 May 2011 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
I guess that the "lli" sound as in "million" is a good approximation.

I'm not a native English speaker, I don't know if I pronounce 'million' correctly, so I might be wrong on all this. Anyway, if I try to say 'miglio' with the 'lli' sound, the "outcome" seems quite close, but it feels completely wrong in my head and my mouth.
When I pronounce a normal 'l' in English, I only use the tip of my tongue up next to the teeth, for example in "alive". Instead, when I pronounce million, a big portion of my tongue is up on the roof, although not completely flat on the palate, and I still have to use the tip of my tongue next to the teeth to pronounce the "L".
When say 'miglio', I don't use the tip of my tongue. The tongue is flat against the palate and much more relaxed.
So my advice would be to say the 'lli' sound without the tip of your tongue, and by placing you tongue flat against the middle of your palate. If it doesn't work, stick with the "lli" sound, which is fine anyway.

Edited by giuls on 13 May 2011 at 1:13pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5857 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 11 of 17
13 May 2011 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
SnowManR1 wrote:
It's to no offense Volte, but as a Native English speaker I'm surprised you disagree with the "lli" in million as not being its closest equivalent in terms of how to pronounce "gli".

Erm... that's not what she said:
Volte wrote:
Italian 'gli' is not pronounced the same way as the 'lli' in English 'million'. English does not have this sound. 'lli' is as close as English gets to it, and it's kind of understandable when someone uses this sound as a replacement in Italian, but it's a different sound.

Look closely: Not the same... as close as English gets to it

Volte said quite correctly that they are different sounds but agrees that it is the closest match.

You on the other hand simply said (in your first post):
SnowManR1 wrote:
Pronounced in  English as "lli" in million.

You said that they were the same -- you did not say "closest equivalent" first time round.

In fact, you seemed to ignore the previous discussion where other native speakers had already been discussing it.

SnowManR1 wrote:
Also I feel I must be honest. Describing how to pronounce the sound is about as useful as a fifth leg on a cow. Rascheff is most likely not going to find the IPA symbol ʎ useful at all & showing him the method of producing the sound is the equivalent of trying to explain the color red to a blind person.

Well that's what he asked us for, so please don't criticise Volte or anyone else for trying to help.

And by the way, you're very wrong.

You can explain to people how to produce sounds and they can learn from it. It's easier to do face-to-face than by writing, but it can be done.

Everyone can find the middle of their tongues. Everyone knows where the roof of their mouths are. No-one without a muscular or neurological disability is going to be incapable of pressing the middle of their tongue to the palate. Maybe not first time, but that's to be expected with new types of muscle movement, but they get better with practice.

I also don't think Volte mentioned the IPA for the original poster's benefit, but simply to demonstrate to you that they are recognised as two distinct sounds.
SnowManR1 wrote:
I'm not an expert & am B1'ish at best, however I have just about every resource under the sun & all my college level textbooks, Assimil, etc., all use the example "lli" as in million. They are native speakers of Italian & claim there is no better comparison for English speakers.

Rascheff is not and English speaker in the sense you mean here -- ie. native monolinguals. Why is this relevant to him/her then?

You have even less of an idea how he pronounces "million" than you have of how Volte does.

Edited by Cainntear on 13 May 2011 at 1:28pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

SnowManR1
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5334 days ago

53 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 12 of 17
13 May 2011 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear: “Erm... that's not what she said”.

Volte: “Italian 'gli' is not pronounced the same way as the 'lli' in English 'million'”.

SnowMan: If that’s not a disagreement then I don’t know what is, but I never spoke about it not being a different sound.

Cainntear : “you did not say "closest equivalent" first time round”.

SnowMan: True, however I only provided that detail when I was disagreed with, which I had not problems clarifying.

Cainntear: “Well that's what he asked us for, so please don't criticise Volte or anyone else for trying to help. And by the way, you're very wrong”.

SnowMan: We all know that sarcasm is difficult to express in written form, but that’s all it was. We’ve all failed at delivering sarcastic humor, but Volte didn’t seem to mind. Also I agree with the idea of describing the movements of the mouth, but just felt an example would have made more of an impact. Just to drive this home…it was sarcasm; however there is some truth in what I said.

Cainntear: “Rascheff is not and English speaker in the sense you mean here -- ie. native monolinguals. Why is this relevant to him/her then?

You have even less of an idea how he pronounces "million" than you have of how Volte does”.

SnowMan: Why relevant? Wonderful question, because neither you nor I speak Russian or Bulgarian & therefore I could not give him an answer that assists him in his native tongue. When someone posts a question on a Forum in the English section I chose to answer him as an English speaker. My example of using “lli” from million is the best example I could give & let’s not forget that he obviously speaks/writes English well enough to ask in this part of the forum.

If you disagree with using “lli” from million than that’s fine, but if I’m wrong then so is university level textbooks, Assimil & any other source that uses it for English speakers.

Again Volte, sorry if I made you upset & promise to reframe from using sarcastic humor in my posts.

Also please clarify this: “You have even less of an idea how he pronounces "million" than you have of how Volte does”.

Who’s the “he”, please?

Préposition
Diglot
France
aspectualpairs.wordp
Joined 4960 days ago

186 posts - 283 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC1
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 13 of 17
17 May 2011 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
I am not an expert in Russian nor in Italian, and my knowledge of phonetics isn't amazing either. That said, I would
match the "gli" sound to the sort of "ли" sound found at the beginning of a slow "лë" sound in Russian, as found in
"лëгки", if that make sense. The L is palatalised by the [jo] sound that follows it, and if you remove the [o], then it
makes a sound very similar to the Italian "gli", if not exactly the same.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5857 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 14 of 17
17 May 2011 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
Oh, for pity's sake...
SnowManR1 wrote:
Volte: “Italian 'gli' is not pronounced the same way as the 'lli' in English 'million'”.

SnowMan: If that’s not a disagreement then I don’t know what is, but I never spoke about it not being a different sound.

OK, tell me what Volte is disagreeing with here.
Quote:
Also please clarify this: “You have even less of an idea how he pronounces "million" than you have of how Volte does”.

Who’s the “he”, please?

Rascheff, the guy who was asking the question.
(I'm pretty certain that Slavic names ending -eff or -ov are masculine. If I'm wrong, Rascheff, please accept my apologies.)

Mrs. Dalloway
Triglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4815 days ago

70 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2, Russian
Studies: GermanA2, French, Danish

Message 15 of 17
20 May 2011 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
Préposition wrote:
I am not an expert in Russian nor in Italian, and my knowledge of phonetics isn't amazing either. That said, I would
match the "gli" sound to the sort of "ли" sound found at the beginning of a slow "лë" sound in Russian, as found in
"лëгки", if that make sense. The L is palatalised by the [jo] sound that follows it, and if you remove the [o], then it
makes a sound very similar to the Italian "gli", if not exactly the same.

It's not exactly the same, but it's the best example you can find in Russian I guess (:

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6740 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 17
23 May 2011 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
Rascheff wrote:
... with the pronunciation of the gli sound. In fact, this consonant isn't used in any other language I know so far and ...

This will not help unless you are familiar with Spanish, but to my ear the Italian gli sounds exactly the same as the (Castilian) Spanish ll-sound.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version