526 posts - 536 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 73 of 79
29 April 2008 at 5:27am | IP Logged 
2008/4/29 18:30 JST
I think I'll try to continue my previous post where I had to leave so abruptly.
I am now awake for 25.5 hours without so much as a nap. So if this post is a little hard to follow, just know that it's because of me and not the sleep deprivation.
Since I started my new assignment/position last August, I have been working 12-hour shifts, day or night. I tried twice to adjust and to continue listening to the lessons the same as before, but nothing was the same for me. Before, I had a routine. I worked Monday through Friday, I came home and started right on my listening. I knew I had only a few hours each weeknight to do it and I was able to adhere to my plan. But with the new job, I had no routine. I work some days, I don't work others. I work days, nights, or weekends. Anytime. And I always work 12-hour shifts. Since my whole environment had changed, I was not able to adjust. Finally at the end of October, I decided to put on the brakes. I mean, take a break.

So, as I stated previously, I had devised the 100x method when I had briefly exposed myself to FSI Mandarin. I will use that method when I restart my Assimil Chinese with Ease training. Since I already have the dialogs in condensed format, it is a breeze to find each sentence and save it in its own file. But I will improve upon the 100x method to make it more efficient. First, I will see if I can do shadowing or chorusing, but I do not expect to be able to do it. That would be the best way to keep one's attention focused on the sentence that is being listened to, but I will find another way. There is another improvement I will make. Before, I would close my eyes so I could focus on the sentence, but then I would have to peek to see if I was getting near repetition 100 or not. It's disappointing to go over the mark. So what I will do is just make my file have the sentence 100 times. That way the file only plays once, but I hear the sentence repeated exactly 100 times. If I like, I can keep my eyes closed until there is silence. This will certainly allow me to remove the thoughts in my head wondering about how many repetitions have gone by.

Well, that's what I'm going to do. I think I'll be ready to start on it by May 15th.

And remember, don't try this at home!

19:14 JST
p360
1 person has voted this message useful

Keith
Diglot
JapanRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6720 days ago

526 posts - 536 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 74 of 79
12 June 2008 at 10:21am | IP Logged 
2008/6/12 23:52 JST

For my 400th post, I think I'd like to update this thread with a little update.

Well, I haven't broken down all my CWE lessons into sentences yet, but I had started on the 100x method, albeit a little later than the 15th of May. But then I started programming that 100xPlayer and that kind of took up all my time for a couple of days. And then I started expanding on that program and so I was doing nothing but programming. Although this week I haven't done any programming. I thought I need to take a break from it.

Anyway, I did the 100x method up to lesson 20 only. I'm not sure when I'll get back on it. My time is being competed for by Japanese, Chinese, and programming. Oh, and also work (that evil necessity which pays me money (the root of all evil))

I wish I could just drop everything and do only the Chinese studies. Chinese is such a cool language. But I think it will be hard for me to speak because it does not take long before it hurts my throat. Maybe something's wrong with me. It also doesn't take long before my hands or wrists hurt when I use them too.

2008/6/13 0:08 JST
p400

magic9man2
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6572 days ago

149 posts - 153 votes 
Studies: Arabic (Written), Mandarin, French, Cantonese, Russian, Korean, Taiwanese, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 75 of 79
12 June 2008 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with your time management. I dont know about your speaking problem, maybe you should see a doctor or something if it's that bad. congrats on 400 posts 8)

bim
Brazil
Joined 5908 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 78 of 79
26 July 2008 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
hy keith i am very interested on mandarim assimil with easy but i have it in french and i dont know it well.is you book in English.

Keith
Diglot
JapanRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6720 days ago

526 posts - 536 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 79 of 79
27 July 2008 at 5:25am | IP Logged 
Yes, bim. I have the English translated version. If you already have the audio, then all you need to do is buy the book by itself.

This discussion contains 79 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version