SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6852 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 65 of 79
11 July 2007 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
I checked again - the English version of vol 2 has all the words from both volumes. The numbers refer to the lesson(s), including those from vol 1 (example: dui bu qi - 5, 19).
1 person has voted this message useful

Keith
Diglot
JapanRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6720 days ago

526 posts - 536 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 66 of 79
12 July 2007 at 7:13am | IP Logged 
There are 1314 entries in the index of Volume 2, which as jeff_lindqvist has said, contains the words from Volume 1 as well.

I don't check very often, but if I do find a word not in the index that is in a lesson, I will add it to the handy-dandy notes page at the back of the book.

I have found two words.
secretary, lesson 18
pork, lesson 44

Peck
United States
Joined 6272 days ago

36 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 67 of 79
28 July 2007 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
For those who have completed both volumes, how are you in the proficiency table? Intermediate? Can you watch the news in Mandarin or speak to people? Does Chinese with Ease compare to New French with Ease (for instance I can basically watch movies in French and get the gist out of most that is said, but I'm at the moment going through Using French)?

CEF Language Level Comparisons

Keith
Diglot
Joined 6720 days ago

526 posts - 536 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 68 of 79
31 July 2007 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
Peck, I don't think there are many people here who have completed both volumes. Perhaps the course covers enough words and situations to reach A2. I would hesitate to think that one could really become intermediate from Chinese with Ease. You would need double the words or even more to really get to that level.

It's July 31st and here is my July report.
This month I spent 50 hours listening to the dialogues from Assimil Chinese with Ease. I am up to lesson 94. The play count on the dialogue of lesson 1 is at 910.
On 17 days, I listened for only 60 minutes.
On 8 days I listened for 120 minutes.
On 1 day I listened for 180 minutes.
On 2 days I listened for 240 minutes.
On 1 day I listened for 360 minutes.
There were 2 days in which I did no listening.

I was taking the approach of just doing 1 hour a day. But I decided that I could be doing 2 hours which is necessary if I want to finish by the end of the year.

My total is 318 hours now. This is less than half-way for me.

p300
2 persons have voted this message useful

Keith
Diglot
Joined 6720 days ago

526 posts - 536 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 69 of 79
08 October 2007 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
2007 Year, 10 Month, 8 Day

Secret update to journal

From August 24th through yesterday (6 weeks), Zero (0) hours of Chinese.
Today, back at the ol' Chinese listening. 5 hours.
I have now listened up to One hundred and first Lesson.
Total hours: 364

Soon, I will have listened to all of the dialogues (90). That is the half-way point for me in terms of this step (listening only). After that (half-way point), all listening will be considered review listening. The beginning lessons will start falling off, one by one. Each cycle through the remaining lessons will get quicker and quicker (because there will be one less dialogue each time).

I have all of the dialogues imported now so I know the total number of minutes of dialogue in my compressed format for the 90 lessons is exactly and no less than 48 minutes. That means running through all of them at 10 repetitions each takes 480 minutes. 480/60=8 hours. 48 min. x 1000 = 800 hours for my listening only step (which actually did not start with listening only, but oh well).

p332

magic9man2
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6572 days ago

149 posts - 153 votes 
Studies: Arabic (Written), Mandarin, French, Cantonese, Russian, Korean, Taiwanese, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 70 of 79
26 April 2008 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
Hey Keith, I'm curious about your overall success with your approach to Assimil. I know it's been a while since your last post on this topic, so I'm assuming you've finished and don't feel the need to update anymore. I'd just like to know how things worked out, what level it helped you to reach, and whether or not you would recommend it.

Keith
Diglot
Joined 6720 days ago

526 posts - 536 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 71 of 79
28 April 2008 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
magic9man2 wrote:
Hey Keith, I'm curious about your overall success with your approach to Assimil. I know it's been a while since your last post on this topic, so I'm assuming you've finished and don't feel the need to update anymore. I'd just like to know how things worked out, what level it helped you to reach, and whether or not you would recommend it.

Sorry I haven't updated. Actually, I have been staying away from the forum for about the last 4 months because of the trolls. But now I've found that the admin has gotten stricter on them so I may visit regularly from now on.

So here is an update:
I have not finished with Assimil. The last day I used it was on October 28th. So for the last 6 months, 0 hours of Chinese!

Total Hours: 407

I am preparing for a new step. I am breaking the dialogs down to the sentence level. Actually, it's whatever Assimil has put in each numbered line. So it could be two sentences or more. But for the purpose of explanation, I will just refer to them as a sentence. For the 400 hours, I have listened to the dialogs and have not worried about whether or not I understood them well. I have listened to each one ten times in a row and then moved on to the next one. Well, each dialog can have 10 to 15 sentences in it. So that way does not let you concentrate on any one sentence without neglecting the other sentences. Plus, 10x does not really do much for the moment. Eventually it would all come together, but perhaps it is not efficient. The most efficient method I felt, was when I had listened to 1 sentence 100 times in a row. That was when I only had FSI. But ripping the individual sentences out of their lessons was time consuming because they were hard to find in between all of the English narrative. And with the poor quality of audio, I had to try to find the sentence where it was not so bad.
Sorry I have to get to work now!

magic9man2
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6572 days ago

149 posts - 153 votes 
Studies: Arabic (Written), Mandarin, French, Cantonese, Russian, Korean, Taiwanese, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 72 of 79
28 April 2008 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
Glad to the see the update, good luck with the sentences.

This discussion contains 79 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version