Joined 7126 days ago

536 posts - 589 votes 
7 sounds
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 57 of 79
08 May 2007 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
Keith wrote:

You know, Jerry Dai says the shortest short-cut in language learning is pronunciation.

I'll give my take on why I think this is. I think that if you learn to pronounce the language more or less like a native speaker and if you are able to speak it yourself at native speaker speed then your listening skills will come as well. This is because in order to reach this level of pronunciation you have to listen intently over and over to a native speaker saying the sentence for you. You have to listen for the rhythm so you get that right and you have to listen for every single syllable so you get them right. If you just listen without pronouncing you run the risk of getting lazy. This is why you don't get any listening skills worth a damn with Pimsleur Mandarin. Because there isn't a single chinese person who speaks at that ridicioulously slowed down pace.
1 person has voted this message useful

Keith
Diglot
JapanRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6720 days ago

526 posts - 536 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Personal Language Map

Message 58 of 79
08 June 2007 at 8:41am | IP Logged 
Assimil Chinese with Ease Logbook, Star Date 2007年06月08日

I have 199 star hours logged now. 180 of those hours are from the last three moon cycles (i.e. the last 90 star days).

At this point, comprehension of outside conversations is still unfathomable. Contact with the alien species is not within the realm of current capabilities. Any attempt to enter their world is prohibitive.

It looks like 6 more moons are in order. Must increase power to a sustainable level. Scotty, we need more power!

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6837 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 59 of 79
08 June 2007 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
Lol, it was a pleasure to read that, and pretty close to they way I feel myself at my current level. Just keep it up.

Edited by Hencke on 08 June 2007 at 11:56am

leosmith
United States
Joined 6493 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 60 of 79
08 June 2007 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
Keith wrote:
Must increase power to a sustainable level. Scotty, we need more power!

Relax. It's a 5 year mission.

Keith
Diglot
JapanRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6720 days ago

526 posts - 536 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Personal Language Map

Message 61 of 79
30 June 2007 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Relax. It's a 5 year mission.

I shall reword your statement to say what I think it really means.

"It's a 5-year mission for those who relax."

Well, it's the end of June and so here's my June Report.
This month, I listened (while very relaxed) to Chinese with Ease for 90.5 (ninety and a half) hours. There were 2 (two) days where I did no listening at all. There were 2 days where I did only 60 minutes of listening and there were 2 days where I did 360 minutes of listening. As of today, I am up to the Eighty-seventh Lesson. I have listened to the First Lesson's dialogue 850 times (in total since I started).

Starting next month (July), my work location changes which means I will have less time at home to do all of this listening. In case I haven't mentioned before, I only listen at home sitting in front of my computer. I know there are many people who prefer not to do their listening in front of the computer. They like to carry around an iPod or something.

So, this many hours in one month will probably not happen again (unless I become unemployed!) My total time with the Assimil program is now 268 hours. I think this puts me about one-third (1/3) of the way there as I try to get 1,000 plays of each dialogue.

6/30/2007 @11:57 PM JST

Edited by Keith on 30 June 2007 at 10:08am

orion
United States
Joined 6964 days ago

622 posts - 678 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 62 of 79
11 July 2007 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
Does the book contain characters pinyin(or both)? If it has the characters, about how many does it teach?

I admire your determination.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6852 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 63 of 79
11 July 2007 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
It contains both - characters with pinyin below (and English on the right page with word-for-word translation below). I haven't counted the characters, but assuming the two volumes have about the same vocabulary as the other courses, there should be around 1500 words. OK, correction - there are 66 pages with 15-20 words on each, which make 1155 words/compounds (I just had a look at the end of vol 2, which I believe has all the vocabulary).

lcsr
Diglot
Portugal
Joined 6360 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 64 of 79
11 July 2007 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
I just had a look at the end of vol 2, which I believe has all the vocabulary

Actually, it doesn't. It only has the vocabulary from the 2nd volume, at least in the French edition.

There's an additional book ("L'écriture Chinoise") that teaches how to write all the characters in both volumes. They're about 800 in total.

This discussion contains 79 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version