Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5242 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 1 of 13
05 March 2014 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
Something that I've been thinking of a lot lately is how to apply gamification to
language learning. It's quite a buzz word these days but when applied well, I think
gamification can be highly effective.

Gamification can be about establishing a system of motivation - points, goal-setting,
awards, tracking, competition, etc. It could be about using language to achieve goals.
Or it can be about transforming dry learning activities into something a bit more fun
and engaging.

There are plenty of games that are already established that would be great to include
in the language learning "toolbox" as is or slightly modified. Or you can create games,
both simple and elaborate. I like game play because it can hide the fact that you're
drilling the language and, when there are multiple players that have a low level in the
language, I like that it helps them speak with each other.

I sort of stumbled into gamification while teaching English to French elementary school
kids. While brainstorming how to teach food vocabulary (beyond just drilling them with
flash cards), I came up with an idea of turning it into a game. I made a bunch of cards
with food items and had them play a Go Fish-like game to practice asking each other for
different foods allowing them to practice not only the vocabulary but also the
structure. It was one of the few real breakthroughs I had - suddenly I had these kids
interacting exclusively in English, in full sentences, for an entire lesson (about 45
minutes). It was magic! I was able to use it while giving private lessons to two sets
of siblings. When I left France, I gifted them a deck, giving them a way to practice
English as a family (something that can be very hard to establish when no member of the
family is a native speaker).

Since then I've often thought about ways to develop other games that would help me to
teach and learn languages myself. I discovered the Language Hunters/Where Are Your
Keys? methods. I recently found a sentence-building card game called Kloo which is
exactly like something I was brainstorming.

Has anyone else given this subject some thought? Have you tried anything that would be
good to share?

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6448 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 13
06 March 2014 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
Some relevant threads:

AJATT SilverSpoon/Neutrino
Criminal Case - the best way to learn the names of various physical objects, as well as some scientific vocabulary

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5242 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 3 of 13
06 March 2014 at 5:42am | IP Logged 
Ah, yes, the hidden object mystery games! I played a lot of those at one time and it was great for learning random household objects in French that I still didn't know the names of even after reaching an advanced level. I'll have to see if there's one for Irish...

While searching what people had to say about using a particular game for language learning (Story Cubes), I stumbled on the site Board Game Geek forum where there were a ton of threads and lists of suggestions. Change up your language meetups and exchange sessions with a game! :

BGG Games in my High School Latin Classroom

Games to Teach Languages

Games that provide fun English practice for college/adult ESL students

and many more.

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4540 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 4 of 13
06 March 2014 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
Love Criminal Case.

Also, love the idea of gamification in language learning. I really think that s the next big thing in the field. I could play games for 3x as long as I could potentially sit down and study. Very interesting concept.

I'm a part-time board and card game design nerd as well, so I think I may have some brain-storming to do...

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4104 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 13
06 March 2014 at 7:34am | IP Logged 
I don't know whether this is what's actually looked for, but I like turning video-game time to language learning time. I just swap the language of the game to German so that I get practice and play. Works especially well with role-playing games.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6448 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 13
06 March 2014 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
Speaking of that, lyricstraining has been redesigned and gamified. I've written here about the changes I noticed but tbh I don't quite understand all the maths behind the new points system. I only know that nowadays it's 1 point per letter, regardless of the difficulty. Only complete words gain you points. But I have no clue what the maximum points are nowadays.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4558 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 7 of 13
06 March 2014 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
I play FIFA 13 in my target languages, does that count? :D
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6448 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 8 of 13
06 March 2014 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
Of course!

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version