17 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
ipanema
United States
Joined 6338 days ago

37 posts - 38 votes
Studies: French

Message 1 of 17
05 May 2008 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
I searched for this topic and haven't found it, so here goes.
I recently discovered a neat little "edutainment" game for studying French or Spanish on the Nintendo DS. "My
French Coach" and "My Spanish Coach" by Ubisoft. I got the French version, so I'll talk about that one here,
however, I'm sure the Spanish version is pretty similar. There's also a version for working on your English called
"My Word Coach".

Pros:
- $20.00 bucks! new and about $10.00 used. If you already own a Nintendo DS, this is a great price tag. It
seems its not readily available in brick-and-mortar stores, but can be easily ordered online. I just got a copy
from amazon.com within a few days.

- Fun and Addictive. Its an "edutainment" game, so there's plenty of interactive little games to keep you engaged
and interested. In fact, it can be quite addictive. I find myself often having the "Okay, just one more lesson"
experience.

-Chock full of vocab. There are 10,000 words and 700 phrases. O_O Quite an impressive list of vocabulary to
keep you busy.

- Fully recorded. Each vocab word and phrase is fully and clearly voiced by a pleasant native speaker so you
never have to worry how something is supposed to be pronounced.

-Awesome voice recognition feature!! This little feature is almost worth the price alone. Because the DS has a
built in mic, you can play the French word, record yourself saying it and play the pre-recorded voice and your
own recording at the same time to see how "off" or "on" you are. A truly invaluable feature. Especially for
French which is notoriously difficult to pronounce for many.

-User friendly and easy to navigate. Very easy little program to use. I haven't needed to refer to the manual
once.

-Graded lessons. It has 1,000 lessons. The game keeps track of your progress with the words you've "mastered"
along with charts and graphs.

-Great reference. Every English and French vocab word and phrase used is listed along with a handy search
feature. There's even a "sketch pad" for jotting down notes with the stylus.

-Touch screen interface. The DS has two full color screens, one output screen on top and a touch pad/output
screen on the bottom. The game uses its DS capacity quite well.

-Portability. The DS is highly portable, light-weight and easy to carry and store. Perfect for studying on-the-
go!

Cons:
-What? No articles with the nouns? For some reason, the makers of the game decided to omit the appropriate
masculine, feminine and plural articles that are supposed to accompany the French nouns (of course they're
included in the phrases in the game, just not the single vocab words). The Spanish version is probably the same
way. This annoys me. As a native English speaker, I'm often baffled by why the table is feminine, for example,
but its just something that I've learned to accept. We all know how important it is to learn the article with the
noun, why are they not stressing the importance of this with this game? Eh, whatever. >_>

-You've got to have a DS. If you don't already own a Nintendo DS, you'll have to pony-up about $130.00 for
one. This game may not be worth it to you. However, if you do decide to get a DS, I can say that's its a great
little game machine for adults and kids alike. With games like "Brainage", "Sudoku", "Phoenix Wright" and
"Professor Layton", there's plenty of awesome grown-up, edutainment type games to choose from.

-Random glitchiness. There's the occasional little glitch. Nothing too serious. Certainly not enough to make me
flush the game down the toilet in frustration.

-Not as much grammar explanation as I'd like. Its very vocab heavy with some grammar sprinkled through-out.
I actually like learning about French grammar, so I would like more, but its not a deal breaker.

Bottom Line:
If you study French or Spanish and have a DS, just get this game. Its fun, inexpensive, well made and has a ton
of vocabulary and some useful grammar. I'm quite impressed with Ubisoft's thoughtfulness when creating this
game. Its not perfect, but well worth the price and I don't think you'll be sorry. And if you do decide to get a
Nintendo DS, you'll love it. Its a great little machine with lots of wonderful games. And hey, if you hate My
French/Spanish Coach, you can just re-sell it on amazon or ebay. Or re-gift it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ssizz
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5898 days ago

66 posts - 72 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 2 of 17
06 May 2008 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
I appreciate this post, because I had no idea about these! I'd heard of Kanji learning tools on the DS but nothing for
other languages. I'm tempted to go out and buy a DS just for the Spanish, but I'm wary about spending that much
money when I already have a plethora of Spanish learning stuff already.

Somebody needs to work on a Hanzi game for the DS and then I'd probably be up for it.

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6578 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 3 of 17
07 May 2008 at 3:27am | IP Logged 
There's a nice-looking product for learning Chinese coming up, but the interface and explanations will be in Japanese.

Chuugokugo Gakushuu

TheElvenLord
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5890 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Cornish, English*
Studies: Spanish, French, German
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 4 of 17
07 May 2008 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
Hey, i have this product too, i will give some more of my own opinions

Pros

It forces it into your memory due to the excersises you must do (forcing you to remember) to move on

£20 in UK in most stores (WH Smith, Woolworths, Comet, PC World, Game and more)

Cons

There's 1000 lessons. If you do 1 a day (about 15 minutes) you will spend 1000 days doing it (near 2.5 years) - but this is also a Pro, long lasting

Endless memory excersises - This is good because you really remember it after. But, for someone who uses Memory techniques and such, it can get repetetive (this program uses rote to teach)

Overall, Very good program to learn French vocabulary, from beginner to advanced, but i wouldnt rely on it to learn the whole language.

TEL

unzum
Diglot
United Kingdom
soyouwanttolearnalan
Joined 6724 days ago

371 posts - 478 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 5 of 17
07 May 2008 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
I was thinking about getting this for a friend but changed my mind when I saw another review that mentioned the article's problem. It just seems ridiculous not to include it at all with the vocab, I don't think I would be able to learn properly without worrying about whether this word was masculine or feminine etc.

But I do own a kanji game, Nazotte Oboeru Otona no Kanji Renshuu Kanzenhan, which I love. It is meant for native Japanese speakers, not foreigners but I'm finding it really useful for learning kanji compounds and onyomi.

My friend actually owns an English training game(Eigo ga Nigate Otona no DS Toreiningu), which I had a go on and was a bit puzzled by. A lot of the activities seemed to just involve listening to a sentence and then writing the English on the touch screen, which takes a long time, because of English spelling. The highest level activities were really difficult, and I even struggled a bit. It included such lessons as clips from Casablanca and a conversation on a police radio!!

The Chuugokugo game looks awesome though. If it gets good reviews I think I might buy it myself, I just love all the semi-educational games for the DS! There's a fair few English educational games but the range for Japan is just amazing!

Ssizz
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5898 days ago

66 posts - 72 votes 
1 sounds

Message 6 of 17
07 May 2008 at 9:38am | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
There's a nice-looking product for learning Chinese coming up, but the interface and
explanations will be in Japanese.

Chuugokugo Gakushuu

Nice! Do you know if they have plans to it to English and export it over to the States? A Hanzi game for the DS
would definitely be worth the price.

TheElvenLord
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5890 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Cornish, English*
Studies: Spanish, French, German
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 7 of 17
07 May 2008 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
"There's a nice-looking product for learning Chinese coming up, but the interface and explanations will be in Japanese.

Chuugokugo Gakushuu "

The link is to a site in Chinese. Not very good if you want to LEARN chinese lol.
TEL

Ssizz
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5898 days ago

66 posts - 72 votes 
1 sounds

Message 8 of 17
07 May 2008 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
I think you made a mistake...the site he linked is in Japanese.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version