Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

When is it considered polyglottery?

Tags: Polyglottery
 Language Learning Forum : Lessons in Polyglottery (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
43 messages over 6 pages: 1 24 5 6  Next >>
Pandora
United States
Joined 6694 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 17 of 43
14 June 2008 at 4:13am | IP Logged 
Greetings from a long-term lurker on these forums!

I have seen posts of this type so often and for so long that I had to jump in and comment. My own language learning has thus far been a dabbler's buffet rather than a concentrated feast, so I am no expert. But something grips me about this topic--why do you study languages? Why do you wish to be a "whatever"-glot?

Is it because you truly love languages and the benefits of their study? Or is it because you want others to look at you and say "Wooow, he's a polyglot!"

Don't misconstrue my words. I would be first in line to honor those with great learning, and I think few things would improve our national and global situation more than to encourage language study. But honestly, endlessly debating the meanings of these terms and who is permitted to use them takes away from the spirit of "polyglottery" in the first place: learning for the sake of learning. And it takes away from the pragmatic spirit of it as well: learning for the sake of communication.

I can see from the Professor's endeavors what a deep commitment it takes to learn as many languages as he has (and by the way, Prof, you're my hero!). I can also see from that experience that I am unlikely to ever reach that level of dedication, even though I am truly committed to learning a number of languages. Does that make my own efforts any less worthwhile? Of course not! I can still have a profound respect for what he and others do without devaluing my own learning. (A side note: why do I feel I will not learn as many? Simple time constraints--and the fact that I have other passions I wish to develop as well.)

It is my hope that the many eager souls on this forum will respect themselves and each other--whatever "glot" they happen to be! Any efforts to understand a new language and culture are worthwhile, even if it is only your first time.

Edited by Pandora on 14 June 2008 at 4:19am

1 person has voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6479 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 19 of 43
14 June 2008 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
Senmurw wrote:
why so many people write that the Professor is her/his hero? I find this like a spooky cult with obligatory worship of the leader.

When you are interested in something, and there is someone who has or is excelling in it, I think it is only natural to look up to that person. It is not overly complicated. I look up to all the people on this forum who have learned a lot of languages, however in many cases it is hard to know exactly how well they know their languages since people tend to define fluency in different ways.

And, I think comments such as this are misplaced and impolite. If you have such a question, why not just send personal messages to the people involved instead of writing something for all to see? Of course I could have PM'ed you about this but I chose not to.

JonB
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6066 days ago

209 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Dutch, Greek

Message 21 of 43
15 June 2008 at 6:04am | IP Logged 
Dear 'Senmurw',

Forgive me for being frank, but it is utter nonsense to suggest that "he's my hero" could be described as "extreme".

You assert, moreover, that people are writing here "pompously" in order to "impress the Professor".
I can only assume that you have failed to read the rules for posting in this part of the forum? If you read the first thread, you will see that Professor Arguelles has specifically requested that posters here use a formal high register of English. This part of the forum is - so to speak - his personal domain; therefore it would be impolite to ignore this request, and to write in a vulgar street-argot - or something of that kind.

You say: "I didn't see him write in another language than English." You will correct me if I am wrong, but this statement seems to contain the clear implication that you consider Prof Arguelles to be overestimating his linguistic competence?
I find this comment to be extremely rude and misplaced. It is, I think, perfectly clear that Prof Arguelles is a very modest person who has - if anything - drastically UNDERestimated the number of languages which he has mastered, and the level of competence which he has attained in these languages!

If you are unable or unwilling to conduct yourself in a polite and temperate manner, then I would respectfully suggest that you refrain from posting here.
There is, after all, no shortage of other internet forums where you can write in an aggressive and provocative manner - if that is what you want.

-- Jon Burgess

Edited by JonB on 15 June 2008 at 6:14am

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5812 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 23 of 43
20 June 2008 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
JonB wrote:
but it is utter nonsense to suggest that "he's my hero" could be described as "extreme".

Perhaps, but it does suggest an uncritical assessment of the person. I'm sure Dr. Arguelles would, as an academic, prefer encourage a more critical and academic appraisal of his approach.

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version