Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

When is it considered polyglottery?

Tags: Polyglottery
 Language Learning Forum : Lessons in Polyglottery (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
43 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 35 6  Next >>
JonB
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6065 days ago

209 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Dutch, Greek

Message 26 of 43
21 June 2008 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
Senmurw wrote:
JonB wrote:

If you are unable or unwilling to conduct yourself in a polite and temperate manner, then I would respectfully suggest that you refrain from posting here.
There is, after all, no shortage of other internet forums where you can write in an aggressive and provocative manner - if that is what you want.

-- Jon Burgess

how nasty and mean.you can tell off people on other internet forums if that is what you want but leave me alone. this isn't your forum. (it's not mine as well but I didn"t suggest nobody that he/she refrain from posting). why you wrote "respectfully request"? it was absoltuely *not* respectful. you're lier as well as nasty and mean.

Dear 'Senmurw',

You are quite right to say that this is not 'my forum'. (I have, of course, never suggested that it is.)

It is entirely a matter for the moderator (and/or Prof Arguelles) to decide whether to allow you to persist in posting abusive and provocative comments here.

--Jon Burgess
1 person has voted this message useful

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6173 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 27 of 43
21 June 2008 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
I didn't really see anything abusive in the comments... I thought it was all a pretty valid reaction to previous comments. And then came the usual over-reaction.

JonB
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6065 days ago

209 posts - 220 votes 

Message 28 of 43
21 June 2008 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
JonB wrote:
but it is utter nonsense to suggest that "he's my hero" could be described as "extreme".

Perhaps, but it does suggest an uncritical assessment of the person. I'm sure Dr. Arguelles would, as an academic, prefer encourage a more critical and academic appraisal of his approach.

Dear 'Cainntear',

I strongly agree with you as regards 'a more critical and academic appraisal'. I, for one, certainly wouldn't have any problems with people who make robust and intelligent criticisms, provided that they do so in a polite and moderate tone.

The issue, as far as I am concerned, is the uncouth and insulting manner in which 'Senmurw' is addressing the other members of this forum.

It is hardly 'critical' or 'academic' to suggest that all those forum members who have expressed an admiration for Prof Arguelles have been 'brainwashed', or are members of a 'spooky cult', etc.
You will see that 'Senmurw' has now responded to my polite reproof by making further abusive comments about me - describing me as 'nasty', 'a liar', and so on.

Would you say that comments such as these are 'critical' or 'academic' in their tone?

It is not for me to decide, but I really do wonder whether people such as this should be allowed to continue posting here at all?

--Jon Burgess

Edited by JonB on 21 June 2008 at 4:06am

JonB
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6065 days ago

209 posts - 220 votes 

Message 31 of 43
21 June 2008 at 4:49am | IP Logged 
Dear 'Senmurw',

For the record: I have certainly NOT made any formal request that you should be banned from this forum. That would be entirely a matter for the moderators, and I do not have any say in the matter.

Other than that, I am not going to respond to this (or any future post from you) which contains abusive accusations towards me, or which is otherwise rude or insulting in tone.

--Jon Burgess

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version