bluejay390
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6067 days ago

227 posts - 259 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Malay, Italian

Message 146 of 153
19 December 2008 at 10:35am | IP Logged 
Don’t give up Hebrew, J-Learner! It might not seem like it to you but from reading your log it looks like you have made a lot of progress. I know being a beginner is hard. There are so many times when I am looking at a page in Malay and all the words seem like they make no sense and I’ll never be able to understand them, but you cannot give up. Imagine how great it will feel when you are able to understand whole sentences in Hebrew or when you are listening to a something in Hebrew and suddenly find yourself understanding it without having to stop and think of the words. Imagine yourself studying Hebrew and having fun then sit down and do what you imagined.

Have you tried looking for speakers to chat with online? Interpals.net has been good to me. I found a few Malay people who I can chat with in Malay.

Try doing things that you like to do in English but in Hebrew. Sometimes courses are just too dull. Maybe you should try reading some blogs in Hebrew or a nice book and look up the words from there and make flashcards (or a word list or whatever method you do). Do you have a Hebrew forum that you can visit? Watch a movie. Do something fun!

Or maybe you should take a short break from Hebrew? You won’t forget it all if you take a week or two away from it. I’ve done it. Hell, I can still remember a few German words from when I last studied and it has been a few months since. If you want to take a short break from Hebrew we could form a Dutch study group. :) Maybe you could find a Hebrew study group. Find other Hebrew learners and study/talk with them.

I really hope you do not give up, J-Learner.
1 person has voted this message useful

J-Learner
Australia
Joined 5819 days ago

556 posts - 636 votes 
Studies: Yiddish, English*
Studies: Dutch

Message 147 of 153
19 December 2008 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 

Edited by J-Learner on 24 July 2009 at 9:13am

Lemanensis
Bilingual Pentaglot
Groupie
Switzerland
hebrew.ecott.ch
Joined 5713 days ago

73 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, German, Spanish, Swedish
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 148 of 153
20 December 2008 at 4:48am | IP Logged 
J-Learner wrote:
If anyone has suggestions I would be happy to hear them.

How do I successfully study? When I have the techniques. will and time.

Shalom,
Yehoshua.

Hi Josh,

Your recent messages have touched me because we started Hebrew at roughly the same time - I think you were just a month ahead of me. Your enthusiasm seemed boundless and you appeared lucky enough to have a lot of time, dedication and motivation to learn Hebrew too - more than me in any of these things. I've been trying to do some every day but other commitments just keep pulling me away. I do share your ambition, impatience and frustration though.

However, I am wondering whether the big difference between us is in our expectations. I've learnt many easier languages (i.e. closer to our native tongues) than Hebrew before and even they cannot be learnt in just 9 months. So my expectation is that it is going to take me a couple of years before I have a proper mastery of enough vocab (and grammar but mainly vocab) to be able to speak even haltingly. Until then I just want to make progress, progress that I can feel. That certainly isn't easy and sometimes I just can't feel anything at all - even though I'm ploughing my way through Pimsleur II, which of all the methods I've tried just has to be the one that gets you to make tangible progress most easily, and doing lesson after lesson of Assimil. All the time I just feel that I need to go back and consolidate, and even if I try to do that I just don't feel it's going in. I am suffering from a lack of concrete exercises, but I think that will come when I move on to other courses afterwards.

Regarding native speakers, I think the unilang.org forum is the best - there are several on there and are all very kind and helpful - and there are also some more advanced students of Hebrew and that is a motivation for me, as I can see what is possible, even if I don't know how they got to their level.

Through italki I have found a penfriend who is also really kind and I help him with his French grammar and he helps me with my Hebrew. We have chatted over MSN a couple of times too but he speaks very fast and my vocabulary doesn't yet allow me to say an awful lot.

I would dearly like to help you if I can - to help myself as well, because I've always thought of you as a kind of study buddy, even though we're using different courses. Just following your progress was a real motivation for me.

My only immediate advice is to be like David and don't let Goliath get the better of you. I think you can achieve so much by saying 'I WILL DO THIS' and I won't be disheartened and give up until I have.

Take care

Martin

Yinon
Diglot
Israel
Joined 5642 days ago

24 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English, Modern Hebrew*
Studies: German

Message 149 of 153
20 December 2008 at 8:14am | IP Logged 
Hello!

How are you?
I've read most of your log, and I think I can help you out a little.
In my opinion, you took up too many courses. If I were you, I'd have started only one
course, say Pimsleur, and not go on to anything else until I finished it. The problem
with too many courses is that you get preoccupied with all the material, and you're
not able to concentrate on your initial goal.
I think that once the language study became dull and boring, sort of a daily
obligation, it's not worth it any more.
Think of what made you enthusiastic about the language in the first place, and try to
"revive" that feeling. If you feel that that's no longer possible, then you should
give up the all thing.
I, anyhow, would avoid that until I positively knew I don't want it any more. A few
weeks ago I offered you some help through correspondence, or in any form you like. You
never answered back, so I don't know where things currently stand.

Anyway, feel free to contact me on yinon.bitton@gmail.com, so we could discuss
anything concerning Hebrew.
Best wishes,
Yinon

Edited by Yinon on 20 December 2008 at 8:16am

J-Learner
Australia
Joined 5819 days ago

556 posts - 636 votes 

Message 150 of 153
20 December 2008 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 

Edited by J-Learner on 24 July 2009 at 9:13am

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5783 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 151 of 153
21 December 2008 at 10:22am | IP Logged 
J-Learner wrote:
I have 2 days to decide if I will take part in the TAC09...

Of course you will! It isn't as if you have a choice.
Thom.

Edited by ExtraLean on 22 December 2008 at 3:26am

J-Learner
Australia
Joined 5819 days ago

556 posts - 636 votes 

Message 152 of 153
22 December 2008 at 2:08am | IP Logged 

Edited by J-Learner on 24 July 2009 at 9:14am

This discussion contains 153 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version