Canada
Joined 6973 days ago

213 posts - 218 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Cantonese, Greek

Message 9 of 18
11 August 2005 at 9:28am | IP Logged 
I would say that Romanian is the most remote major Romance Language, and receives little attention. Since so few people (anyone?) on the forum have learned it, we can't say for sure, although it seems to be the most complex, because of the Slavic/Balkan influence.

Spanish is pretty easy, with simple grammar, few exceptions, and simple spelling, etc..., plus fairly easy phonemes.

Italian is also easy to pronounce, although it seems not quite as easy as Spanish in other areas. Catalan is a rising star among Romance Languages, it doesn't seem too difficult either (in terms of pronunciation- I don't know about grammar, etc...).

I would also say Portuguese pronunciation seems hard (it seems like many people have problems with nasals), although I have but only dabbled, and spelling is less regular than Spanish.

French spelling is hard, and, again, people seem to have difficulty with nasal sounds. It doesn't seem to me to be that hard, however it may only be the fact that I have so much exposure, therefore I abstain from commenting on it.

Edited by Giordano on 11 August 2005 at 9:30am

1 person has voted this message useful

Socrates
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6860 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes

Message 10 of 18
11 August 2005 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
Of course I forgot about Romanian ?

It's the Galapagos Islands of Romance language developing in isolation.

Being in the Balkans I heard it developed under the influence of Slavic forms and hence absorbed some of the syntax and vocabulary. There were even attempts to use the Cyrillic script in the past.

If it's true that Romanian succumbed to influences from the east then it may take the crown.

What about Corsican or Galician ? Are they languages in their own right ?

Corsican speakers are rare ...could it be because it's so difficult ?

Al-Malik
Bilingual Heptaglot
United Kingdom
arabicgenie.com
Joined 6933 days ago

221 posts - 294 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German*, Spanish, Arabic (Written), Dutch, French, Arabic (classical)
Studies: Mandarin, Persian

Message 11 of 18
11 August 2005 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
Socrates wrote:
Of course I forgot about Romanian ?

Having spent a couple of weeks in La Corse the native language seems to be very similar to Italian, especially the way it sounds. While I had some problems understanding the Corse they speak on the radio, I had next to no problems understanding written material. Natives might frown at this, but to me Corse seemed to be closer to an Italian dialect than to a different language alltogether.

Socrates wrote:

Corsican speakers are rare ...could it be because it's so difficult ?

The language didn't strike me as particularly difficult and is probably on par with Italian. The reason why so few people speak the language is probably that the French government tried to marginalise the language for a long time. Also, the number of people who learn it as a second language is probably next to zero.

morprussell
Diglot
United States
Joined 6962 days ago

272 posts - 285 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 12 of 18
11 August 2005 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
Socrates wrote:

Galician is very similar to Portuguese, so I doubt that it could be considered the hardest romance language. Is Galician a language in its own right? It depends who you ask. Here is the Wikipeida article.

axe02
Triglot
Groupie
Joined 7020 days ago

71 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, French

Message 13 of 18
11 August 2005 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
I haven't tackled many romance languages, but I found Portuguese a lot easier than French. I'm surprised quite a few people find Portuguese the more difficult of the two. Mainly, I find Portuguese easier because the pronunciation is quite straightforward and much easier than French because there are few (if any) guttural sounds. In fact, there's very little I find problematic about the language compared to French. I believe that ease of pronunciation removes a HUGE mental barrier to progressing rapidly in acquiring a language. I found that's been part of the problem I had with French. I even found Japanese easier for this reason. Or maybe it's a just motivation problem. Sorry for the ramble :).

Edited by axe02 on 11 August 2005 at 3:49pm

Socrates
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6860 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes

Message 14 of 18
11 August 2005 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
Have you tried Brazilian Portuguese axe2 ?

axe02
Triglot
Groupie
Joined 7020 days ago

71 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, French

Message 15 of 18
12 August 2005 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
Socrates wrote:
Have you tried Brazilian Portuguese axe2 ?

I started off with "continental" Portuguese and then focused most of my learning exclusively on Brazilian Portuguese.

epingchris
Triglot
Taiwan
shih-chuan.blog.ntu.
Joined 6827 days ago

273 posts - 284 votes 
5 sounds
Studies: Taiwanese, Mandarin*, English, FrenchB2
Studies: Japanese, German, Turkish

Message 16 of 18
28 August 2005 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
I would still think that French is the hardest (excluding Romanian and Portuguese, since I know practically nothing about them......), but actually it's not that bad. In fact, the spelling is easier than that in English. And sometimes I have problems pronouncing all the English's consonants, while in French a lot of them are silent, which makes it easier. (The French "rurale" and "juger" are still a pain to me)

Edited by epingchris on 28 August 2005 at 9:47am

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version