Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 6833 days ago

1394 posts - 1412 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 17 of 18
02 September 2005 at 6:17am | IP Logged 
First a small intro: I don't master a Roman language yet but I do have some experience with both languages. I have French and Spanish speaking friends and I have started to learn French for a while, but later I changed to Spanish because I have met a nice Spanish lady :) I'm studying Spanish now for two weeks. I studied French longer but now I finaly have a better learning method: audio tapes (Pimsleur) so my Spanish is getting better much faster :)

My experience is that I find Spanish easier when it comes to spelling, the words themselfs and the sequence of words. French is more difficult I think. But when it comes to pronounciation, I find French much easier because I'm more used to that. It is also pronounced more clearly I think. Sometimes Spanish words seem a bit unclear and I have to hear it several times before I know how to pronounce it. With French I often already know how it should be pronounced, even before I hear it.

So far my contribution :-)

Tuffy

1 person has voted this message useful

Martien
Heptaglot
Netherlands
martienvanwanrooij.n
Joined 6904 days ago

134 posts - 148 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, Spanish, Turkish, Italian, French
Studies: Portuguese, Serbo-Croatian, Latin, Swedish, Arabic (Written)

Message 18 of 18
03 September 2005 at 10:40am | IP Logged 
For me, French is definitely the most difficult language to understand. I still have problems to find out where one word ends and another starts because I tend to "visualise" the words I learned from a textbook. Some days ago a colleague said in a phone call "avez-vous déja appelé chez nous", and for me it sounded like "avez-vous déja plêché" so I thought there was a word "plêcher" I didn't know :) In fact my Italian is much weaker then my French but I can understand it much better. I started to learn Spanish when I was about 13 years old and I felt pleasantly surprised by the fact that Spanish grammar seemed to be easier then French grammar (especially for irregular verbs). In my opinion Spanish and Italian are more or less of the same difficulty level. I would classify Portuguese between French and Spanish: the grammar is a little bit more complicated than Spanish (e.g. plurals) and with pronunciation I sometimes have the same problem as in French, but not too often.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version