Joined 6030 days ago

452 posts - 468 votes 
14 sounds
Speaks: Dutch, English, German, French
Studies: Polish

Message 26 of 31
25 June 2008 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
Don't worry about it, Senmurw.

Making mistakes is okay; not wanting to improve is another thing. And as you want to improve...

"in mijn school is er een koor waarin /waar we in zingen."

"het weer is warm" is basically not incorrect... BUT it does sound kind of awkward. It's no real mistake, though; I would say: "het is warm". When I'd say "the weer is" (the weather is...) I'd either say "het weer is goed/slecht" instead of "koud/warm".
But like I said, that one is no real mistake... that's why I said there were only some other minor points, things that might need a little polish.

Oh yeah - the last sentence - "Ze kookt vis voor haar lunch". That's no real mistake, either, I just don't like the overly anglophone word 'lunch' in Dutch; I would stick with the boring good old-fashioned 'middageten'. (Although a lot of people use 'lunch'.)
1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6338 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 28 of 31
25 June 2008 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
The linguistic definition of a language family and language relatedness is quite precise,
and English is most definitely a Germanic language.

Understood. It would be nice to have a list of languages ranked by their transparency to English too.

Gilgamesh
Tetraglot
England
Joined 6030 days ago

452 posts - 468 votes 
14 sounds
Speaks: Dutch, English, German, French
Studies: Polish

Message 30 of 31
25 June 2008 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
Senmurw wrote:

I think this languages are close and in this order:

English - Scots - frisian - Dutch - Plattdeutsch - German - Danish and then I don't know.

I think that's a good summary.

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version