54 [47.79%]
You can not vote in this poll

67 messages over 9 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 8 9 Next >>
charlmartell
Super Polyglot
Portugal
Joined 6037 days ago

286 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: French, English, German, Luxembourgish*, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Dutch, Italian, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 17 of 67
30 June 2008 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
Rollo the Cat wrote:

Shadowing for me is a way to avoid translating. I listen to the speaker and read the text while I visualize the meanings of the words and phrases. Doing this over and over helps me link images to the foreign language words.

I do exactly the same thing, visualising while listening and saying (sort of blind shadowing, without reading). I do all my listening on MP3 player and walkman (with MP3 player earplugs). I use the printed text, with listening, to sort out pronunciation and elucidate not properly heard material and, without listening, for visualising and adapting or applying to my reality. It took me a while to learn, but now I always think in pictures and situations, and hardly ever need to get to the meaning via the English translation. Except pesky little words like still, not yet, already, no longer in most foreign languages. They constantly trip me up. The number of times I've got to tell myself: this sounds like "I'm no longer a child" and not like "I'm not yet a child", etc. to finally get it right automatically.

Edited by charlmartell on 30 June 2008 at 5:30am

1 person has voted this message useful

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6265 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 18 of 67
30 June 2008 at 4:55am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
I think it's this one:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3jm9Fvfry8Q

That's not shadowing, though...

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6232 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 19 of 67
30 June 2008 at 6:29am | IP Logged 
furrykef wrote:
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
I think it's this one:

Indeed, what's shown is not shadowing. If I recall correctly, she practiced the text via shadowing first though. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding where I found that information in the first place.

edwin
Triglot
Canada
towerofconfusi&Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6257 days ago

160 posts - 183 votes 
9 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French, Spanish, Portuguese

Message 20 of 67
30 June 2008 at 8:14am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
furrykef wrote:
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
I think it's this one:

Indeed, what's shown is not shadowing. If I recall correctly, she practiced the text via shadowing first though. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding where I found that information in the first place.

The 'teacher' of this student posted in another forum and described the method. He basically played the recording from a native speaker and asked the student to repeat the sentences. He did not indicate how long the student had been trained though.

From my experience, I feel that shadowing is beneficial only when you have some familiarity of the language, in particular its phonetics. Doing it too early might end up like that Japanese girl. The bad thing is that you get used to the incorrect pronunciation without knowing it.

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6265 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 22 of 67
30 June 2008 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
edwin wrote:
The 'teacher' of this student posted in another forum and described the method. He basically played the recording from a native speaker and asked the student to repeat the sentences.

That's not shadowing either... for it to be shadowing, you have to be listening and speaking at the same time and carefully listening for differences. So I don't think the Japanese girl's results could be representative of shadowing if she wasn't even shadowing.

Moreover, I wouldn't expect shadowing over a short period to automatically fix your accent. It's quite possible that she would sound much better while shadowing and become incomprehensible again afterwards. In that case, it'd still be working, and she'd just need to do it more.

- Kef

ixtok
Australia
Joined 6090 days ago

29 posts - 24 votes

Message 23 of 67
01 July 2008 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
furrykef wrote:
[QUOTE=edwin] for it to be shadowing, you have to be listening and speaking at the same time and carefully listening for differences.
- Kef

This is exactly what I believe shadowing is. There have been many previous threads regarding this and I think that many of the respondents to this survey are voting for shadowing or commenting on it when they are not using the proper definition. The key is speaking at the same time as the audio. Not listen and repeat.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5944 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 24 of 67
01 July 2008 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
I don't shadow regularly, but when I do it's at the exact same time as the audio, and not a second or half second behind. The effect is similar to singing in chorus, and if you're off, you can hear the disharmony. However, I've read that shadowing is meant to be done slightly after the audio, so maybe I'm doing it wrong.

This discussion contains 67 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version