Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6340 days ago

318 posts - 458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French, Italian, Persian, Malay
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Portuguese, German, Urdu

Message 25 of 36
03 September 2009 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
I'd like to take a Russian course for at least a couple of months, I'm considering Odessa, Kiev, Minsk and possibly Volgograd. The course in Minsk mentioned above seems to offer incredible value. Ukraine has the advantage of not needing a visa, as far as I know. If you attended a course, could you please give the details of the teaching, accomodation, location and enviroment of the classes, and costs. This would be a big help. Thanks!

PS

I see also there are courses organised intended for second year Russian university students from the UK, the site is:

www.rlus.co.uk
1 person has voted this message useful

Skandinav
Hexaglot
Denmark
Joined 6701 days ago

139 posts - 145 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English, German, Russian, Swedish, Norwegian

Message 26 of 36
08 October 2009 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
Just a follow up: I enjoyed 1 month learning Russian in Odessa, and I can only recommend it. Unfortunately, 1 month, even if you're on advanced level, is hardly enough for anything. Therefore, I am seriously considering take a leave of absence from my job for 1 year in order to really get into Russian. I am considering Moldova. Any insights on that?

I found this place, which seems reasonably priced. Anyone know abouth this particular place:
http://learnrussian.ucoz.com/index/0-5

Edited by Skandinav on 09 October 2009 at 8:25am

NJMaverick
United States
Joined 5969 days ago

34 posts - 36 votes
Studies: English*, Portuguese

Message 27 of 36
10 October 2009 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
Skandinav wrote:
Just a follow up: I enjoyed 1 month learning Russian in Odessa, and I can only recommend it. Unfortunately, 1 month, even if you're on advanced level, is hardly enough for anything. Therefore, I am seriously considering take a leave of absence from my job for 1 year in order to really get into Russian. I am considering Moldova. Any insights on that?

I found this place, which seems reasonably priced. Anyone know abouth this particular place:
http://learnrussian.ucoz.com/index/0-5

I disagree with the statement that "1 month, even if you're on advanced level, is hardly enough for anything." With concerted effort, you can make great progress in with that kind of immersion. Especially with a tutor adding 80+ hours to your total language studies over the course of those weeks. It would be great if everyone could take off a full year to go away and immerse themselves in a language, but it is not realistic and/or necessary for most.

I would add that having been there, Minsk definitely provides a full immersion experience in Russian. The visa is a hassle but relatively easy to obtain. Just don't be surprised if the KGB monitors your comings and goings day-to-day!

Skandinav
Hexaglot
Denmark
Joined 6701 days ago

139 posts - 145 votes 

Message 28 of 36
09 November 2009 at 11:10am | IP Logged 
Did I mention that I am quite pessimistic... ;-)

Wilco
Triglot
Canada
Joined 6144 days ago

160 posts - 247 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Russian

Message 29 of 36
09 November 2009 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
I know the DVGU (Far Eastern University) in Vladivostok offers courses to foreigners which aren't bad at all, though it is a bit far.

Skandinav
Hexaglot
Denmark
Joined 6701 days ago

139 posts - 145 votes 

Message 30 of 36
11 November 2009 at 9:20am | IP Logged 
Yeah, that sounds really interesting, but in the end probably among the most expensive options (nbelow Moscow and Piter, of course).

I am considering travelling to Ukraine (not Kyiv) or Moldova in order to improve my Russian. This summer I made som good progress in Odessa, but still one month is too little to go in depth.

Does anyone know about some good language schools/programmes in Ukraine (e.g. Kharkov) or Moldova?

DavidW
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6340 days ago

318 posts - 458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French, Italian, Persian, Malay
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Portuguese, German, Urdu

Message 31 of 36
21 February 2010 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone have any more reports? I'm actively looking for a course at the moment. I see many universities and institutes in Ukraine and Belarus offer classes for foreigners, often in the form of a preparatory year in order to prepare foreigners for higher education.

Is Belarus generally less expensive than Ukraine for language classes?

I know Odessa is mostly Russian-speaking. What is the linguistic situation like in Kiev for learning Russian?

How to private language schools compare with the universities?

I also was looking at studying in Almaty, Kazakhstan, but have heard that it is quite an expensive place to live. Any info?

Thanks

Edited by DavidW on 21 February 2010 at 1:27pm

Khublei
Bilingual Triglot
Yugoslavia
homestayperu.net
Joined 5161 days ago

90 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: English*, Irish*, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Khasi, French, Albanian

Message 32 of 36
24 April 2010 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
For those who were considering Moldova, I wouldn't really recommend it.
I spent a few weeks there in January, luckily my friend understand Romanian as that was
the language used most of the time. The way it works there is people speak whichever they
are most comfortable with Romanian or Russian, and people answer in either as well. So
very often my friend was speaking Russian and being answered in Romanian.

I think every day interactions are part of the in-country learning. For that reason I
wouldn't go to Moldova to learn russian, unless you found a Russian speaking part of the
country.

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version