languagedabbler.blog
Joined 6043 days ago

316 posts - 340 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Gujarati*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 77
13 July 2008 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
[/QUOTE]

I achieved fluency in three foreign laguages (reading. listening, speaking, writing, pronunciation) without the aid of conversation. Conversations always disappointed me.

I am semi-fluent in a number of other languages - I can read novels, understand the radio and speak and write in a rather clumsy way, good example is my English.

By the way, I've never used any courses.[/QUOTE]

If you haven't used any courses, and you don't do much conversation, so what methods have you used to achieve fluency/semi-fluency?
1 person has voted this message useful

Paul999
Czech Republic
Joined 5852 days ago

12 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English

Message 11 of 77
13 July 2008 at 11:51am | IP Logged 
You can achieve fluency by listening and also by repetitive listening the same content.
It's boring but very powerful. By extremely heavy listening you will eventually think in the target language all day long for one year to comprehensible input simply lead to native-like fluency and even good pronunciation come by itself.

You do not need produce the language at all.(silent period) for two years. Only interesting input - that's all you need. The more you will delay conversation the better. At the early stage a conversation with native speaker can be stressful and unpleasant. Simply because you cannot express yourself even if you really want to. That may be harmful.

As long as you are "fluent" than you can carry on a conversation with a native speaker (about global warming for example.)

2 persons have voted this message useful

sajro
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5794 days ago

129 posts - 131 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 12 of 77
13 July 2008 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
Paul999 wrote:
I admit it. My weakness is vocabulary, I do not use "fancy" words and such:)

Most native English speakers (at least around here) don't, either. :)

gogglehead
Triglot
Argentina
Joined 5873 days ago

248 posts - 320 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Italian

Message 13 of 77
14 July 2008 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
I cannot agree with Paul 999 AT ALL! Maybe the "never engage in conversation until you can speak like shakespeare" approach has worked for him, but I would not recommend delaying conversation until then. By the way, in what way do you think it could be "harmful"? Have you heard the saying "you learn from your mistakes"? In my humble opinion, conversation the best way, everything else, pimsleur, FSI, etc are secondary tools. Listening is good, but only using authentic materials. This wil prepare you for real life encounters. Again, I will stress that I don't claim to be an expert, but I really think you should dive into conversation as soon (and if) you can, for example if you had a friend who was a native speaker of your target language, you would notice your progress on a daily basis. This perhaps, would motivate you further.
G

Felipe
Triglot
United States
Joined 5828 days ago

451 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Italian, Dutch, Catalan

Message 14 of 77
14 July 2008 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
I think that listening definitely has its place and it is good to help you reach fluency, but actively conversing is what gets you over the top. Maybe a conversation with a native is a bit intimidating at first, but the way to overcome the intimidation is to face up to it. Get some basic skills in the target language and then dive in, let people correct you when you make mistakes, and never stop learning.

Edited by Felipe on 14 July 2008 at 2:32pm

Paul999
Czech Republic
Joined 5852 days ago

12 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English

Message 15 of 77
14 July 2008 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 

About making mistakes
http://www.antimoon.com/how/mistakes-damage.htm

About silent period
http://www.sdkrashen.com/articles/what_does_it_take/all.html

2 persons have voted this message useful

Mycroft
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5779 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 16 of 77
14 July 2008 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
I think Paul999 has a point. I've just come back to French learning after many years and found that I pronounce some words really badly. My boyfriend and I have been in the habit of speaking bad French to one another and our 'joke' accents have stuck. I'm going to have to un-learn a lot of bad practice. I know this doesn't count as real conversation but it supports the point that practice doesn't make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect.

This discussion contains 77 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version