linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5809 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 34 of 77
18 July 2008 at 9:19am | IP Logged 
FrenchSilkPie wrote:
I believe an adult can learn like a child does. It's something called comprehensible input, which I agree with Paul999 needs to be the focus and is the single and only factor in order to learn a language successfully.

Children don't learn only from comprehensible input. In some cultures, parents never talk to their children, but children learn to speak anyway. There is an argument that comprehensible input is of no benefit to children. (Some even go as far as saying it's detrimental to child development as it presents an unnatural model of language. My mum was in that school of thought, so she taught me to call a dog a dog, not "doggie".)

Quote:
I don't see what relevence your comment on bats has to do with anything. It's entirely possible to model language learning after children.

See Terry's excellent post -- it's a matter of physiology, so my bat analogy is valid.

Quote:
By the way, why are you so fixated on the fact that adults cannot learn like a child? Despite the fact there are several instances of this happening and several people on this forum claim it is possible, I really don't understand your disbelief. What is so hard to believe about it?

There is no proof that their process of learning was like that of children. There is hard science saying that it can't have been. What we are looking at is the learning environment, not the learning process. Immersive, assimilative and natural methods assume a child-like learning process that cannot be.

Some people succeed in such environments. Yes. I accept this. But this observation does not validate the (unscientific) theory that they are learning like children.

Quote:
I am just curious, is all.That is exactly how I am learning my languages. Through exposure, I learned (am learning) nouns and verbs. Tenses are a bit more difficult, but we have brains. They are primed to sort out a language.

You aren't learning like a child. You are most likely reasoning actively. Your are conciously and subconciously filtering the input until you distill it down to a manageable size and form.

Why do you need to do that? The input can be supplied in a manageable size and form.

Quote:
On a different note, I do believe there are some major differences in the method I am using: language is easier acquired when actively used, which is why I would like to get my hands on a program like TPR. (For example, an adult would say "Put the glass in the sink" and you would listen and do the action. The more real the experience, the better.) I suppose we will see what happens after two years of no speaking! :)

The problem with TPR is that the imperative aspect (commands) is a very small part of language, and a very large part of TPR. It is not "productive" language, in that it only occurs in small chunks and rarely combines into complex sentences.

Iversen wrote:
Speaking and writing should of course be tried out somewhere along this timeline, but unless you have a patient teacher for yourself the kind of discussions you can have in the beginning will be composed mainly of readymade phrases and pauses, so I prefer just to keep thinking until I can think fairly fluently (with errors) before I try to speak.

But there is no such thing as "thinking in a language". The proper term for what you're doing is "subvocalising" -- as far as your mind is concerned you are speaking, you just aren't moving your mouth. (Well actually... you are -- just not as much as you would if you were actually vocalising.)

This is what I hate about Krashen et al -- they look at the surface and miss the core of the matter: what goes on in the student's head.

Successful students, effective learners, "speak" -- whether vocally or subvocally -- from very early on. The schools of thought that promote things like the "silent period" ignore this. A teaching system that only benefits effective learners is not a good teaching system, as effective learners don't really need help.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6501 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 35 of 77
18 July 2008 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
But there is no such thing as "thinking in a language". The proper term for what you're doing is "subvocalising" -- as far as your mind is concerned you are speaking, you just aren't moving your mouth. (Well actually... you are -- just not as much as you would if you were actually vocalising.)

Exactly what would you then qualify as thinking? Does thinking exist at all?

One of the reasons that thinking (as I shall continue to call it) to some extent can be used as a substitute for speaking is precisely those micro movements of the speech organs. It is not too difficult to jump from subvocalization to actual talking because all the movements are in fact there, they just have to be magnified X times. But in the meantime I have spent my time doing something that is far less tiring and far less taxing for my surroundings - and those surroundings may not yet have lost confidence in my sanity.

FrenchSilkPie
United States
Joined 6415 days ago

125 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 36 of 77
19 July 2008 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
I don't doubt the invalidity of Terry's information in his post. I am sure that children don't only learn from comprehensible input, but sure is a major part of their learning. The information does not thing to refute the idea that adults can learn through comprehensible input. One cannot actively prove that adults can learn like children, so they cannot disprove it either. None of us are children, so I suppose we will never know what exactly goes on in a childs mind, and be able to 100% accurately compare how children at all ages learn languages with 100% proof and assurance.

I strongly believe that you need an extended amount of just listening in order to obtain a near-native accent. That's the most important thing for me in any language. That's great, informative information (ha ha ha alliteration! :) ) that definitely got my mind whirring. I will agree with you on some points--no I do not think adults can learn exactly like children. But modeling our learning based on their way they naturally "pick up" so to speak a language will yield us results that are less artificial and more natural.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5809 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 

Message 37 of 77
19 July 2008 at 5:20am | IP Logged 
FrenchSilkPie wrote:
The information does not thing to refute the idea that adults can learn through comprehensible input.

This is correct.
FrenchSilkPie wrote:
One cannot actively prove that adults can learn like children, so they cannot disprove it either.

Only in as much as science never proves anything 100%.
The overwhelming balance of the evidence is that infants learn by growing and culling/pruning synapses. Adults learn by adjusting synaptic responses and by some weird funky dendrite activity. These are fundamentally different mechanisms.

Quote:
I strongly believe that you need an extended amount of just listening in order to obtain a near-native accent. That's the most important thing for me in any language.

But do you need it from the word go?
The brain is great at filtering out irrelevant information. You can mkae ltos of msitekas wehn you wirte ard stil be undestood. The brain is trained to fill in the gaps based on what it considers normal. When it hears a foreign accent it tries to "correct" it to your home accent. You do not perceive everything that hits your ear. For example, I started using Pimsleur Polish. When the man said "rosumiem" I perceived "resume-yem", because my brain said "no such thing as rosume -- must be resume".

The brain will not learn to properly perceive a native accent until it has some underlying structure for interpreting the meaning of it.

So yes, you do need lots of native input, but this is not necessary at the very start of your learning.

Quote:
But modeling our learning based on their way they naturally "pick up" so to speak a language will yield us results that are less artificial and more natural.

Why? We cannot physically learn in the same way that children do, in that our brains do very different things.

Surely a different brain physical brain requires a different strategy?
Even if we can't say this for sure, the fundamental differences must rationally cast doubt on the idea that child learning can be a model for adult learning.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5809 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 

Message 38 of 77
19 July 2008 at 6:53am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
One of the reasons that thinking (as I shall continue to call it) to some extent can be used as a substitute for speaking is precisely those micro movements of the speech organs. It is not too difficult to jump from subvocalization to actual talking because all the movements are in fact there, they just have to be magnified X times. But in the meantime I have spent my time doing something that is far less tiring and far less taxing for my surroundings - and those surroundings may not yet have lost confidence in my sanity.

I see no reason why talking to yourself subvocally is any more effective than talking to yourself vocally, and I find talking to other people far more rewarding than talking to myself.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6707 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 39 of 77
19 July 2008 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
I sometimes study at my favourite café, listen to lessons, podcasts, audiobooks et.c. my mp3 player. Would people give me strange looks if I sat there speaking all by myself? Probably yes. Would the same thing happen if I sat there subvocalizing? Probably not.

So, perhaps it isn't more effective than speaking aloud, however a lot more practical if you're studying with people around you.

This discussion contains 77 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version