J-Learner
Australia
Joined 5818 days ago

556 posts - 636 votes 
Studies: Yiddish, English*
Studies: Dutch

Message 1 of 21
31 July 2008 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
In my study of Hebrew I have noticed that there is a lack of courses and other resources. I have bought almost everything I have seen in bookshops and on the net. Short of subscribing to newspapers and buying a couple extra books on Amazon there is not much left. I have details of these saved or am in the process of receiving them. For example - Vocabulearn Hebrew 1 and 2 on order.

I have been searching for materials and asking around for over 2 months now!

(I am not talking Biblical Hebrew but modern Israeli Hebrew.)

I am tired of not having what I need to learn this language.

Getting a native speaker to help would be great. So far this has failed to eventuate.

My last resort is to start a yahoo group.
The aim would be to share insights and resources,
create answer keys for courses which often do not have them,
and create new resources such as tutorials, drills, audio, etc.

Shared through bit torrent to avoid bandwidth restrictions of size hosting on yahoo groups.

Anyone interested in this? I sure could do with a helping hand or two.
Give me some feedback on this cause I sure have plenty of ideas for materials but not all the knowledge so far.

Shalom,
Yehoshua.
1 person has voted this message useful

J-Learner
Australia
Joined 5818 days ago

556 posts - 636 votes 

Message 2 of 21
31 July 2008 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
EDIT: I started a yahoo group but deleted it.

I would be glad to pay for hosting sometime in the future for a proper site. I am serious about creating a real Hebrew language learning community. Not exclusively Hebrew in the long run but certainly to start with.

Edited by J-Learner on 01 August 2008 at 9:56am

Talairan
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6380 days ago

194 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: Afrikaans, English*, Gypsy/Romani, Dutch
Studies: Spanish, Flemish, Galician, Aramaic

Message 3 of 21
31 July 2008 at 5:34am | IP Logged 
What resources do you have access to?
Have you come across Modern Hebrew for Beginners? They have a fairly comprehensive website with supplementary materials here.

This Australian website might have some useful things on it.

If I had the time, I would love to restart my Hebrew learning, but alas work commitments prevent me from doing so. Good luck with your yahoo group!

J-Learner
Australia
Joined 5818 days ago

556 posts - 636 votes 

Message 4 of 21
31 July 2008 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
I have come across both of those yes. Todah.

You will be welcomed to join the moment you feel like getting back into it.

Spasty
Groupie
United States
Joined 6657 days ago

92 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, French

Message 5 of 21
31 July 2008 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
Two sites really helpful for language in general:
http://www.palabea.net/
http://sharedtalk.com/

You'll probably be able to find some native speakers there, especially on Sharedtalk (Palabea is somewhat new, I think, so there aren't tons of members).

A great resource for grammar (for Arabic, at least) seems to be Wikipedia. Of course, you have to beware of people being mean and putting incorrect information, but when it's the only thing...! If you search around it, you can get a pretty comprehensive view on the grammar.

DavidW
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6314 days ago

318 posts - 458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French, Italian, Persian, Malay
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Portuguese, German, Urdu

Message 6 of 21
01 August 2008 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
There's a good hebrew linguaphone course (now discontinued), two books in French from Assimil, all with recordings. The's a comprehensive 'FSI' audiolingual course on fsi-language-courses.com with a reader, and more Hebrew texts/recordings on gloss.lingnet.org. Spoken language services offer a course - http://www.spokenlanguage.com/ These are the courses I've seen in passing, there are probably many more, more than enought to reach a good conversational level. Also check out www.lmp.ucla.edu for more ideas.

zhiguli
Canada
Joined 6229 days ago

176 posts - 221 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Mandarin

Message 7 of 21
02 August 2008 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
As someone who's been there and can relate...
You might want to invest in a good grammar reference. Glinert is a good one, so is Coffin (though the latter is not the best for a beginner, since the examples are not fully vowelled while in Glinert they are). Also the 4-book Maskilon set, while rather expensive, is another good tool to have. But I find none of them are really complete; there are just too many exceptions for any one book to cover them all. Only when I got my copy of the Even-Shoshan dictionary (basically the Hebrew equivalent of an Oxford or Webster) were all my doubts erased.

As for finding native speakers, you can try language exchange sites like italki or sharedtalk, though frankly I haven't had much luck with them, since the vast majority of the Hebrew speakers there already know English or have no desire to learn it (and I don't know any other languages well enough to teach them to others...)

J-Learner
Australia
Joined 5818 days ago

556 posts - 636 votes 

Message 8 of 21
03 August 2008 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
Thanks zhiguli.

I have visited the website about the Maskilon books in the past. It looks interesting. Is it a good resources to use while studying Hebrew?

Does the Even-Shoshan dictionary contain voweled words and exceptions? Can you give a more complete description please? Or a link that has sufficient information?

I randomly messaged some people on Skype today. I have 2 people to talk to now! Also recently met a native speaker who will give me some resources and the occasional help in tricky grammar points and irregularities.

Perhaps things are looking brighter for the moment.

I still intend to start a group for Hebrew language learners. Any collaboration with others here would be a great thing.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version