Joined 6715 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 33 of 740
26 September 2008 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
Snowflake wrote:
Then I suspected that the dialog was different than the characters...thought I heard 可是 when the text said 但是.

I've encountered that too (or if it was the other way around, or even 但係). Since the subtitles often display what is said word-for-word, one would assume that (at least) films and TV series produced on the mainland would have "perfect" subtitles, but what if it's a southerner (maybe a native Cantonese?) transcribing it?
1 person has voted this message useful

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5765 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 34 of 740
28 September 2008 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
but what if it's a southerner (maybe a native Cantonese?) transcribing it?

You may be right. I also have the feeling that the accent is Cantonese...will probably find out about the accent tommorrow.

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5765 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 35 of 740
29 September 2008 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
The woman from Beijing agrees that the movie subtitles do not match the dialog. She says though they convey the same thing. She says the Mandarin is quite good (subtitles and dialog). There was some discussion on the accent. The woman from Beijing thinks it is a Cantonese accent. The coworker from Hong Kong, who also speaks Mandarin, insists it is not a Cantonese accent. They ended up saying it is a Taiwan accent. So I'm going to ask for an opinion from my friends who are from Taiwan.

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5765 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 36 of 740
03 October 2008 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
I've been hearing what sounds like Cantonese and Toishanese phrases in one of the movies. That's a little disturbing. Keeping the dialects separate is necessary for my sanity. Also need more work on visualization for the characters.

Tuttle publishing hasn't gotten back on the availability of vol 2 of the Matthews and Matthews book... emailed them a second time.

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5765 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 37 of 740
05 October 2008 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
Mentioned to a friend the need to improve my approach for learning characters. She suggested SAFMEDS (Say-All-Fast-Minute-Each-Day-Shuffled). I also need to call the friend that got the alleged Taiwanese accent movie audio ....concerned that his email system can't handle the size of tbe MP3. Haven't yet sent it to a second person due to the size.

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5765 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 38 of 740
06 October 2008 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
Researching SAFMEDS...given the approach, I have to make up my own flashcards. The flashcards available from Amazon won't do. I wasn't happy with Mnemosyne and my current SRS software also leaves a number of things to be desired....eg. not especially inclined to use software for this. I found a download of the HSK level 1 to 4 characters (http://www.mnemosyne-proj.org/node/30#attachments). The XML file opens up nicely using Excel and looks very workable for making flashcards.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5765 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 39 of 740
10 October 2008 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
Will be snail mailing a clip of the alleged Taiwanese accent movie audio to someone else who is from Taiwan. I need to hit the FSI material more rigorously. The FSI material requires more engagement versus listening to songs and movie soundtracks. The latter type of listening has the reinforcement of my comprehensive getting better in tiny steps every day. Additionally words keep "popping out" that I can look up in a dictionary.

I transfered the SRS characters to physical flash cards. But with often being totally dragged out after work, there were several days this week where neither the cards nor the books were used. At this early stage skipping days is NOT good. My routine needs to be modified to make sure there is at least some character work done every day.

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5765 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 40 of 740
13 October 2008 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
Got an answer from the first person, from Taiwan, on the supposed Taiwan accent. He thought the general accent was not a big deal, that the "extreme" accents on the audio were silly, made up. BTW, this is a Shrek movie. He likened it to pig Latin and said it was extremely difficult to understand. A physical CD is being sent to the second person.

Have started doing a sort of sentence mining using both characters and Pinyin....basically use Pinyin when I don't know the characters. It's a way of reinforcing the characters, my listening comprehension of the movie audios, and the sentence patterns. Haven't figured out the logistics of storing the sentences yet (everything is on pads of paper right now). I've also started writing dates on my various job/work notes (personal) in characters.

Think I like the physical flashcards (people are probably horrified at that thought). It's easier on my wrists, faster than waiting for the software to flip screens and a lot more mobile than my laptop. I also didn't like the idea of waiting for such and such character to come up 53 days later when there are only several hundred characters inputted into the SRS. I've started thinking of how to handle things when there are several thousand of these characters to work with.

This discussion contains 740 messages over 93 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version