740 messages over 93 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 92 93
Snowflake
United States
Joined 5765 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 737 of 740
18 June 2015 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
Wrote my island and sent it to 3 mainlanders for their help. One of them translated
the entire thing and sent it back the same night. I had started the translation
myself....there was only one Chinese sentence of mine that she left the same. I'm
still going through the Chinese. So far there are two phrases that seem to have a
different meaning or slant than what I intended so need to follow on that. Then a
second copy was forwarded to me using traditional characters; they know that I'm going
to use the island in Taiwan. The second copy was also organised into paragraphs; My
original had the sentences numbered for ease in working. The three of them are
coordinating with each other so a different person, than who did the translation, will
meet with me Fri. I'm feeling pretty stressed about this island as well as the
upcoming trip.

I chucked the prior mentioned novel and started reading a different one...think this
is the first time I've seen 哥们儿 in these books. The grammar seems wildly different
from other books. There are also lots of R's...我是没怎么当一回事儿. 白白净净的小模样儿.
Etc. Maybe I should mention that the usage in the last two short books (can be
considered long stories) that I read which were written by Taiwanese felt really
comfortable.

Edited by Snowflake on 18 June 2015 at 4:13am

1 person has voted this message useful

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5765 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 738 of 740
22 June 2015 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
Now I have an audio of my island in its' present form and have started chorusing it. One
of the mentioned friends read it for me. I'm still working through those two phrases
which have a different slant or meaning. One of those uses negation such as I didn't say
it wasn't easy, or they knew what it was not. The sense I'm getting is that
1... Mandarin speakers do not talk that way
2... trying preserve my original meaning may be a lesson in frustration, or asking a bit
much from the "audience"

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5765 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 739 of 740
06 July 2015 at 4:09am | IP Logged 
As of this morning I have a Taiwanese version of my island. I leave at the end of this week
so it's too late to get audio for the changes though those make for interesting food for
thought. Anyhow, I broke the mainland Mandarin audio into smaller pieces which for some
reason made me notice more how many unfamiliar words there are which was not surprising.
Shekhtman's approach has the language learner writing the island in the TL themselves though
that’s not what happened here as my friend pretty much rewrote everything... my island was
immediately plunked into native speaker usage. That said, something interesting is that there
are noticeable differences in my listening comprehension chorusing this island than say dialog
from a movie.   

Taiwan may be getting 3 typhoons this week. Also my chat partner was warning me about the
record heat wave they had in June which is expected to continue this month.

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5765 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 740 of 740
04 August 2015 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
I got a number of Mandarin music CDs and a few books while overseas. On the music, I
walked into a store and bought the current top CDs, unheard. Due to my friends, I met
several native speakers there who now live in the US. One was curious about my "learning
materials". I played for her some Mandarin Les Misérables songs and interestingly enough
she did not understand them. She also felt an "Across the Straits" conversation (人到老年)
was hard. Another person with a strong Taiwanese accent felt my Mandarin was 标准. A
different Taiwanese person, who spent time in Hong Kong, detected that I have a slight
Cantonese accent. She’s the second person to mention that. The first was someone who
worked in 广州. He originally was from a different 省, forgotten which one. He felt that
every now and then my Mandarin had a very slight Cantonese accent.

My listening comprehension seems better after this trip.

97.5% through Neutrino... I don't expect to be "fluent" at the end of the program due to
things I was asked to do but didn't. That list includes finishing Heisig (am irratic about
SRS reviews), reading economics articles, frequenting technology sites, and advanced math
(YouTube) classes such as calculus.

I’m journaling now in Chinese (simplified characters).... won’t be able to pass everything
to native speakers for corrections so will selectively send blurbs on.

This discussion contains 740 messages over 93 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version