Diglot
Taiwan
Joined 6020 days ago

121 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Taiwanese, French

Message 17 of 47
12 August 2008 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
In Mandarin it's "ehhh..." (pronounced kind of like the letter A)
In Taiwanese it's "ane-ohhh..." or just "ohhh..."
1 person has voted this message useful

kmart
Australia
Joined 5933 days ago

194 posts - 400 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 18 of 47
12 August 2008 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
irrationale wrote:
In English, as I'm sure most people here know, the sound "umm..." is used as a speach spaceholder when you are thinking of what to say.

But in the English dialect known as "Valspeak" the equivalent to "umm" is "like".
As in "she was like going to come to the mall but her dad was like so mad at her for crashing his car he like totally grounded her".
This can become very confusing to foreigners, as this space-holding word sounds exactly the same as the English words for "similar to" and for "take pleasure in".
And to add to the confusion, it can also be used to replace the word "said" as in "he was like 'what's up with you?' and I'm like 'whatever', and he's like 'do you want to go or not?' and I'm like 'as if'..."
seriously...
;-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5859 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 19 of 47
13 August 2008 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
Linglot wrote:
Not 'ahhh' in Spanish, but rather 'ehhh'.

And as it has been said, Argentinian Spanish is famous for saying 'este...' (often pronounced "ette" or "ehte"). To the point that a joke says: How does an Argentinian dog bark? 'Este... guau!' (guau=woof)

Some others say 'esto...' instead.

Good, I'll start using "ehhh", because unfortunately I have to pause to think quite a bit when conversing :)

JimmyJameskun
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5757 days ago

35 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Indonesian

Message 20 of 47
13 August 2008 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
kmart wrote:
irrationale wrote:
In English, as I'm sure most people here know, the sound "umm..." is used
as a speach spaceholder when you are thinking of what to say.

But in the English dialect known as "Valspeak" the equivalent to "umm" is "like".
As in "she was like going to come to the mall but her dad was like so mad at her for crashing his car
he like totally grounded her".
This can become very confusing to foreigners, as this space-holding word sounds exactly the same as
the English words for "similar to" and for "take pleasure in".
And to add to the confusion, it can also be used to replace the word "said" as in "he was like 'what's up
with you?' and I'm like 'whatever', and he's like 'do you want to go or not?' and I'm like 'as
if'..."
seriously...
;-)

Before "like" was "you know?" or "y'know?" And the, you know, car on the... you know, umm, freeway, went
really fast during that chase, you know?

For Italian: this is taken straight from an Italianpod.com lesson, their "umm" is usually "Beh" but they also said
"Beh, si insomma,...." which they translated to "Yeah, well you know..." (Interview with George) check out the
lesson.

TDC
Triglot
United States
Joined 6730 days ago

261 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, French
Studies: Esperanto, Ukrainian, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Persian

Message 21 of 47
14 August 2008 at 6:47am | IP Logged 
In Russian, they say так a lot as a place holder.
My students even use it when speaking English sometimes.
The translation is usually given as "so" though.
But they use it like:
Soooo...as I was saying...

Zebulon
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5776 days ago

34 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: French, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 22 of 47
14 August 2008 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
JimmyJameskun wrote:
And to add to the confusion, it can also be used to replace the word "said" as in "he was like 'what's up
with you?' and I'm like 'whatever', and he's like 'do you want to go or not?' and I'm like 'as
if'..."
seriously...
;-)
Here in Sweden the word "bara" which means only, is being used in the same way, especially among youths. I found it awful but for some reason I use it anyway... :S

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5894 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 23 of 47
14 August 2008 at 12:09pm | IP Logged 
Zebulon wrote:
JimmyJameskun wrote:
if'..."
seriously...
;-)
Here in Sweden the word "bara" which means only, is being used in the same way, especially among youths. I found it awful but for some reason I use it anyway... :S

The Germans don't have anything indespersed like that but they say "gell?" at the end which is the equivalent of "n´est-ce pas" or "eh?/isn't it?" Going north towards south it's "gülle?", "gell/gelle?", "goi?". I mostly use it when I talk to kids.

Deji
Diglot
United States
Joined 5249 days ago

116 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Hindi, Bengali

Message 24 of 47
05 April 2010 at 6:31am | IP Logged 
But there are a lot of other words you use in any language--in addition to "umm--". When you still can't
express what you are going to say but don't want to lose your turn in the conversation. In English it starts with
"umm" but there is also "..I mean, well.. you know? I mean it's umm...the thing is ..well, after all. I mean, finally ,
yeah well, I just don't get it, I mean hey...that's the thing, you know what i'm saying?"

In french you could say " Alors..bon...ben..enfin..mais alors..en fin de conte, bon, a la fin, comment dis-je...vous
comprenez....pour vrai dire... le question c'est...bon, c'est ce truc qui---, enfin..."

In Bengali you can say "She ke boTe?...Ta boTe..taai boTe...boTei to...boTe emon kothaa?...tai na ki...shotti?....ki
bolcho boTei...bujhle?" These mean: "it is?...that's true...just so...exactly...is it?...so then (lit "what") truly?
...well...you understand?" These are more like responses than actual placeholders.

I found it very important to stay in the language, especially when I am groping for a word. It sounds pretty
funny when you put them all together.

This discussion contains 47 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version