Triglot
New ZealandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5711 days ago

14 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Maori
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 1 of 24
14 September 2008 at 3:53am | IP Logged 
I'm not sure if this is the right room but I'd like to say I'm starting up a thread, so if you want to know how to say something in Maori or anything about the Maori language you can find out here. If I know. I'm doing this because there is a huge absence of resources for learning Maori on the web for people expressing interest in it.
3 persons have voted this message useful

'
Bilingual Diglot
Australia
Joined 5736 days ago

120 posts - 120 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian*

Message 2 of 24
14 September 2008 at 5:30am | IP Logged 
You'd probably need the multilingual lounge for conversations in máori but here is good for discussion on the language.

dáyou have any good resources for the grammar of it? The syntax? I know the nouns preceed their adjectives and that "te" means not only "the" but "THE". This true for "nga" as well?

how do you mark plurals?
1 person has voted this message useful

wakarima-huji
Triglot
Joined 5711 days ago

14 posts - 18 votes

Message 3 of 24
14 September 2008 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
Well yes you're right about the nouns preceding adjectives.
I don't know what you mean with "te" meaning 'the" and "THE" (aren't they the same thing?
The plural is marked by changing the word "te" to "nga" and in no other way.

Okay, yeah we'll stick with this thread for now, as I don't know if anyone on this site can converse in Maori. Hopefully one day!

I have a few resources, my best one being a self-teaching book I bought for 50.00 called "He whakamarama", meaning "The understanding". If you're serious about learning, it's well worth the money. Whatever you do, don't buy the Reed dictionaries. They're useless!

Catchja later

joan.carles
Bilingual Pentaglot
Canada
Joined 6129 days ago

332 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*, French, EnglishC1, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Hungarian, Russian, Georgian

Message 4 of 24
15 September 2008 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Now that you mention, wakarima-huji, by 2009/2010 we plan to move to Auckland (preferrably), once all the paperwork with immigration is done. I am just curious whether Maori has any real presence in NZ or it's just a marginalized language like indian languages are in Canada? Well, except for Inuktitut that's official in one or two of the norther provinces (Yukon, Northwestern Territories and Nunavut).

My daughter is 6 years old, so obviously she would study part of primary and secondary school, do kids learn Maori at school? Are there many resources there in NZ for adults that want to learn the language?

thanks

wakarima-huji
Triglot
Joined 5711 days ago

14 posts - 18 votes

Message 5 of 24
15 September 2008 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
I hope I can help with your question and I'll try to be as realistic and as honest as I can, although the question would be answered quite differently depending on who you ask. There's still a lot of racism in New Zealand society, mainly in predominantly white society, rich areas etc. and if you asked these people, they would of course say yes, it's a marginalized language like in Canada, but that is in my view because they don't have much contact with Maori language.

However in Rotorua, where I live, Maori is spoken quite often. There are several kura kaupapa (full immersion schools) and a few Maori churches. If you walk into a video store, you are quite likely to hear someone speaking Maori, and even those who don't know the language tend to use lots of words from it around here, such as 'kai', meaning food. The Maori language is a big part of our daily lives, and is fully living, because we use it to communicate.

The amount of contact you have with the Maori language will depend on the area you will live in. If you live in Mangere for example, you will be under the influence of the culture much more than if you live on the North Shore. And then there is the nation wide level. We have a Maori television channel, and all public exams can be sat in Maori.

Of course this is only the beginning, and within a few years, Maori will be fully living again. It is going through a renaissance at the moment. At lot has been lost by the fact that up until thirty years ago it was forbidden to speak it in schools- so pretty much a lost generation of culture. But many Maori today are learning their language and how to be proud of it, such as here lots of people attend the evening classes at the wananga.

Concerning education in schools, our white government still has a generally bad attitude towards teaching the language, which will hopefully soon be changed. In primary school I learned a few words and songs, which I schools are required to teach, but I've only had to chance to learn it properly at secondary school, because all schools have to offer it as a subject.

There are plenty of resources for adults to learn the language, and I would definitely recommend it. Although it's not a must, to survive in New Zealand, it means you can cross many more cultural boundaries, as I have been able to do. I hope I've been of some help, and by the way, don't move to Auckland, move to Rotorua, so you can speak Maori!
3 persons have voted this message useful

joan.carles
Bilingual Pentaglot
Canada
Joined 6129 days ago

332 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*, French, EnglishC1, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Hungarian, Russian, Georgian

Message 6 of 24
16 September 2008 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot, wakarima-huji, your answer is appreciated.

I am glad to see that even after the British colonization, that has hurt so many cultures and languages all over
the world (though it´s not the only one, unfortunately), Maori is coming back to life. That´s good news. For sure
I´ll take advantage of these resources you mention. Like in many bilingual societies where one of the languages
predominates, you can spend all your life using just this major language, but like you say, you´ll cross cultural
boundaries by speaking the "smaller" language.

As for living in Rotorua, it would be nice, but in terms of jobs, working in IT, I´m afraid the possibilites are
much concentrated in big places such as Auckland or Wellington :(

Well, merci pour ta réponse et bonne chance avec le français.

À bientôt!

wakarima-huji
Triglot
Joined 5711 days ago

14 posts - 18 votes

Message 7 of 24
16 September 2008 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
He pai, e hika, ka taea koe i korero maori i Tamaki-makau-rau hoki!
Good, and don't worry, you can still speak Maori in Aucklnad!
j'ai comprende que tu as ecrie dans le francais, mais, comme tu peux voir, je ne suis bon avec cetta langue...??? En depit, merci pour la bonne chance!

'
Bilingual Diglot
Australia
Joined 5736 days ago

120 posts - 120 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian*

Message 8 of 24
16 September 2008 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
wakarima-huji wrote:
Well yes you're right about the nouns preceding adjectives.
I don't know what you mean with "te" meaning 'the" and "THE" (aren't they the same thing?
The plural is marked by changing the word "te" to "nga" and in no other way.

Okay, yeah we'll stick with this thread for now, as I don't know if anyone on this site can converse in Maori. Hopefully one day!

I have a few resources, my best one being a self-teaching book I bought for 50.00 called "He whakamarama", meaning "The understanding". If you're serious about learning, it's well worth the money. Whatever you do, don't buy the Reed dictionaries. They're useless!

Catchja later

My understanign is that te is a very emphatic THE meaning more like "the one and only" and te is the definite article, but if I don;t have "the cats" but "cats" how to I denote plural there?

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version