Groupie
Spain
Joined 5852 days ago

87 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*, English, Japanese
Studies: Russian, Indonesian

Message 9 of 24
16 September 2008 at 5:37am | IP Logged 
Thank you very much, wakarima-huji, for your information and the books you recommended. Since I started being interested in languages, the Polynesian languages have definetely been my favorite ones. I love their clear sounds, their simple but still logical structures, and of course the culture to them, the songs, etc. I even learnt a little bit of Tahitian just for fun last year when I was on holidays, but unfortunately the resources I had were not comprehensive enough to fulfil my thirst for knowledge. And as Tahitian language and culture have been really overwhelmed by French language and culture, I thought it was not really worth it to try to get into a deeper knowledge of the language. So I just decided to wait for some time.

And now that you've open this thread I've become interested again in these languages, so I think I'll buy "He whakamarama" and give these languages another chance. Maori is a great language connected to a great culture and a very beautiful land, New Zealand (or Aotearoa!).

Joan Carles wrote:
My daughter is 6 years old, so obviously she would study part of primary and secondary school, do kids learn Maori at school? Are there many resources there in NZ for adults that want to learn the language?

Wow, if she finally learns Maori, how many languages will she be able to speak in the end? Catalan, Spanish, English, French and Maori? Can I be your son too? :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

wakarima-huji
Triglot
New ZealandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5711 days ago

14 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Maori
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 10 of 24
17 September 2008 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
My understanign is that te is a very emphatic THE meaning more like "the one and only" and te is the definite article, but if I don;t have "the cats" but "cats" how to I denote plural there?[/QUOTE]

Yes you're right with that. How strong the "the" is depends on your intonation and where you put the emphasis.

Unfortunately in Maori you can't just say, "cats". It has to be preceded by "he", but "he" is merely a grammatical addition, which doesn't change the meaning. So saying "He ngeru" would be simply saying "cats".

If you want to be more specific, you can use a t-class word in front of the noun. These are what they say, words beginning with "t" such as Tena (this) tetahi (some), and the list goes on. All these words, apart from "te" which becomes "nga", drop their "t" to form the plural. For example "he ngeru" could become "etahi ngeru" (some cats)

I hope this is of some help and tell me if I'm being confusing or something needs clarifying.

wakarima-huji
Triglot
Joined 5711 days ago

14 posts - 18 votes

Message 11 of 24
17 September 2008 at 3:27am | IP Logged 
Thanks for your lovely comment, brozman. Yes, the Polynesian languages are lovely in their simplicity- it allows a deeper meaning to come across- and one day I hope to be able to learn more of them. Ahhh there's so many languages in the world.
I've decided to start giving little vocabularies. So here's the first one.

Kia ora (keya ora)- hello or thankyou
Ma te wa (maa teh waa)- good bye
Haere ra (hyreh ra)- goodbye
koe( queh)- you singular
korua (koarua)- you dual
koutou (kowtow)- you plural
ahau (ahow)- I
ia(eea)- he/she/it

Remember, all "r"s in Maori are rolled, and "ou" or "au" makes the sound as in "bow"

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5807 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 12 of 24
17 September 2008 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
"Cats like milk."
Which cats?
"All cats."

"All cats" is pretty definite, so it makes sense that it should take a definite article, no? (Even though it makes sense the other way round, too.)

wakarima-huji
Triglot
Joined 5711 days ago

14 posts - 18 votes

Message 13 of 24
17 September 2008 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
I'm not quite sure what you're asking but hopefully I can figure it out.
Yes, "all cats" is definite in Maori, meaning it takes the definite article and "all" isn't an article at all. It's an adjective there.

So: He pai te miraka ki nga ngeru (cats like milk)
ki ehea ngeru?
ki nga ngeru katoa (katoa= all)

p.s there is no verb for "like" in Maori. You have to use the structure, "something is good to something". Therefore "the milk is good to the cats"

wakarima-huji
Triglot
Joined 5711 days ago

14 posts - 18 votes

Message 14 of 24
18 September 2008 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
Does anyone actually want this vocab? Oh well I'll do some for today anyway...

Ko wai tou ingoa?= what's your name? (is who your name?)
Ko Katie-Jayne toku ingoa= my name is Katie-Jayne (is Katie-Jayne my name)
No Rotorua au= I'm from Rotorua (From Rotorua I)
No hea koe?= where are you from? (from where you?

'
Bilingual Diglot
Australia
Joined 5736 days ago

120 posts - 120 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian*

Message 15 of 24
18 September 2008 at 2:38am | IP Logged 
Could you do a word-for-word on the cats dialogue?

Also, is there any inflection in máori?

PiotrKozlowski
Poland
Joined 5707 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: Polish*

Message 16 of 24
18 September 2008 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
Nice work, wakarima-huji! Some questions/suggestions:

1. What's the difference (if any) between "ahau" and "au"? You've glossed them both as "I"
2. Could you give us an outline of the verbal particles?
3. Could you also mark long vowels somehow? I realize proper macrons are hard to type, but doubling of the letter (as in: teenaa koorua) or using some other easier-to-get diacritic would work fine.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version