SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6703 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 33 of 40
25 April 2014 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
Hmm, what do the colours mean? And in particular, why does Öland have three colours? And personally, what features did the dialect from the northern part of Gotland have in common with the other purple area?
1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4315 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 34 of 40
25 April 2014 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Hmm, what do the colours mean? And in particular, why does Öland
have three colours? And personally, what features did the dialect from the northern part
of Gotland have in common with the other purple area?

Grön: -ed (hused, taged)
Röd: -(e)t (hust/huset, taket)
Gul: -e (huse, take/tatje)
Blå: -Ø med tvåtoppsaccent (huus, taak)
Lila: -i (husi, taki)
Orange: -eð (auseð, tatjeð) (Ja, det är älvdalska+våmhusmål)
Grå: Traditionell svensk dialekt saknas

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3841 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 35 of 40
26 April 2014 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
Hi, I'm Italian and I'm surprised about some things you wrote about Italian language.

- for someone is not completely phonetical, why? as far as I know, Italian is read how
is written. You mean the sounds GN and GL maybe? It is in any case completely regular,
they are pronounced always in that way.

- in my 32 years of life I never heard before the concept of "vowel length". And I
speak quite correctly anyway :D For what I know every vowel has the same length, and
I'm not aware of words which a vowel is doubled (like happens in Dutch all the time,
for example). Anyway, can you make me some example?

- the stress is almost all the time on the penultimate syllable like andare, fare,
casa, pasto, bastone, recinzione ("parola piana"). When it is in the last there is
always an accent like citta', caffe', caucciu' ("parola tronca" - ok I put an
apostrophe because I have the us keyboard layout, who cares :D read below). The stress
on thirdultimate syllable is less used and in some cases follows patterns, like for
example every words ending with -metro is stressed in this way, like kilometro,
barometro, manometro, millimetro... same with -litro, like centilitro, ettolitro etc
("parola sdrucciola"). The last case is when a word is stressed on the fourthultimate
syllable ("parola bisdrucciola"). It is very rare and I'm not aware of many words that
are stressed in this way... maybe some verb (abitano (they live) with the stress on the
first a, diamoglielo (let's give it to him/her/them - them only in colloquial speech),
with the stress on the a.

- closed and open e, closed and open o. Nobody knows and nobody cares (at school they
teach that there are five vowels, a e i o u). With some ecception, like singers (not
all), and in general people that works with the voice (some universitary teacher,
actors etc). In some reason people use almost only closed e, like in Lombardy but with
variations in some city and open o, some others use only open e (stereotypical in the
south). Sardinia is famous to use almost only closed o, that makes the speech
stereotypical and funny for who lives "in the continent". One day in a singing lesson
my teacher at the time taught me some diction: I was schocked. Anyway there are words
that Italians simply don't know in which way are stressed so usually the choice is to
mark it as "piana" or "sdrucciola". An interesting word is "ancora", that changes
meaning if stressed on the penultimate syllable ("still", or "yet") or on the
thirdultimate ("anchor").

- as a consequence of that, people generally don't know if a word stressed in the last
syllable needs an accent "grave" or "acuto" - nor know about those terms and remember
which is one and which is the other. Therefore is commonly used a different accent that
is a rounded accent that starts high, goes down and goes up again in a symmetric
fashion, that doesn't say anything about how the letter is pronounced but simply means
"watch out bro: the word is stressed on this letter". This accent is put on the last
letter only, doesn't make any sense in the middle of the world. I don't know how this
accent is called, it is normally simply called "accent".

- people that corrects other people on this is constantly marked as excessively
"pignoli", while people that corrects other people on the finest details of the grammar
are called "grammar nazi" :D

- in case a foreign word is imported the word is pronounced theoretically as it is
pronounced in its mothertongue (actually in "how the Italians think that has to be
pronounced), and it is used only in its singular forms and gets never pluralized (it is
a grammar rule I think) even when indicating multiple objects.

I probably forgot something that I wanted to say, in case I will add it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3841 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 36 of 40
26 April 2014 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
after having said that, I find the french pronunciation much easier than the English one.
No one
is phonetic, but french is almost regular while English is almost completely random (at
least, for me). English, to add the insult to the injury, has something like 18 vowels
written with only 5 letters, and voiced and mute 'h' that seems to be completely random
as well, making people messing up with the grammar rule of a/an before a voiced/mute h.

even Dutch seems to me easier to learn correctly.

Edited by tristano on 26 April 2014 at 10:43am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 37 of 40
26 April 2014 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
You can always predict how Italian words are written, but the reverse is not 100% true (although Italian is still a good language in this regard). But for example the stress is only marked if it's on the last syllable, otherwise it's often on the second-to-last but far from always. Well, it's not such a major problem for me because I'm familiar with Latin. Also, gia/cia normally have a silent i but not always. And s/z can be voiced and voiceless.

Oh and while writing the first sentence I forgot about the double consonants. They're just pronounced less clearly than for example in Finnish, and there's a lot of individual variation afaiu.

As for the vowels... it can be misleading how they teach them at school etc. Also, while opened/closed is not something many people can notice consciously, you may sound off due to them.

Edited by Serpent on 26 April 2014 at 9:57pm

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4462 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 38 of 40
26 April 2014 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
This is true, for foreigners it's not obvious ROMA has a close o (ó) while MORTO has an open O (ò).
Italian has 7 vowel phonemes (even in most dialects, even though their distribution may be different than the Tuscan standard),
pronouncing them with 5 vowels is a recipe how to sound foreign.

You can easily hear the Italian accent when Italians speak/sing in Spanish because they keep their 7 vowel system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2zXAzAr_pk
from this song (produced in Italy)>

tierra (with an open iè), pareces (with an open è),
tienes (with an open iè, typically Roman/Tuscan :p), siempre (with an open iè, typically Roman/Tuscan :p), miedo (with an open iè, very Tuscan/Roman :p):
miedo /mjɛdo/ [mjædo] sounds hilarious in Spanish (extremely open realizations of è /ɛ / and ó /ɔ/ are characteristics of the posh female Roman accent> bène [bbæne], mórto [mmɒɾto], singer Syria talks like this:
.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU4E32PMMZw).

Edited by Medulin on 26 April 2014 at 11:27pm

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4459 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 39 of 40
27 April 2014 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
Eh, while Italians often pronounce Spanish a little bit funny they are still much closer to getting it right from the very start than people coming from other languages. :-)

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4462 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 40 of 40
27 April 2014 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
Eh, while Italians often pronounce Spanish a little bit funny they are still much closer to getting it right from the very start than people coming from other languages. :-)

I don't know. To my ears Italians always sound as if they were studying Argentine Spanish even though they learn Peninsular Spanish instead ;)

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version