wakefield10
United Kingdom
Joined 5717 days ago

10 posts - 12 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 17
22 September 2008 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

I have been wanting to learn Spanish for a long time now and have gotten Platiquemos fsi Spanish.

I have not gotten very far and am currently on unit 6, my question is what is the best way to use the audio and pdf?

I am using it on my own and am aware that it is best used with guidance, I feel that I havnt really learn that much. I mean how many times should I listen to each lesson?

Edited by wakefield10 on 22 September 2008 at 4:48pm

1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7015 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 2 of 17
23 September 2008 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
Platiquemos comes with some instructions. How does what you have been doing compare to the instructions? If you haven't learnt much in the first six units, is it because you aren't retaining things, because you already know that material, because you are having difficulty concentrating, because you don't understand the exercises, or what? Please be as specific as possible.

TerryW
United States
Joined 6167 days ago

370 posts - 783 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 17
23 September 2008 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
wakefield10 wrote:

currently on unit 6,... I feel that I havnt really learn that much. I mean how many times should I listen to each lesson?

I'm not familiar with the differences between Platiquemos and plain old FSI Basic, but...

1. How much Spanish did you know before starting?

2. Are you verbally responding to all of the drills, or are you just listening to them?

wakefield10
United Kingdom
Joined 5717 days ago

10 posts - 12 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 17
11 October 2008 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
I feel like I am not retaining things. I read the text and verbally respond while listening to the tapes.

I knew a small amount of basic Spanish before starting fsi, some grammer, conjugations and a small amount of conversational language.

dutos
Argentina
Joined 5723 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes

Message 5 of 17
11 October 2008 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
You may want to check out the Spanish Programmatic. I, personally, thought that Spanish Basic Course is too fluffy for my tastes. (The programmatic course is super concentrated compared to the Basic.) If I remember correctly, Platiquemos follows that same story about Molina too, PLUS you have a lot of pictures and little factoids, which are interesting, but at the same time, it's just a distraction for me.

There's been a lot of discussion about this issue (FSI Basic -vs- Platiquemos), but I really think that -- at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter which one you use as long as you achieve your goals.

dutos
Argentina
Joined 5723 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes

Message 7 of 17
12 October 2008 at 12:28pm | IP Logged 
man, o man, that's a tough call.
BUT you can search on this forum and get some answers. People have posted a lot about this topic already.

(If money was very tight, I'd say get the FSI, if not, then get the Platiqemos.)

TheElvenLord
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5890 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Cornish, English*
Studies: Spanish, French, German
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 8 of 17
12 October 2008 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
"I was going to buy FSI for Spanish, but maybe I should buy Platiquemos instead? What are the pros and cons? "

You don't even have to buy it!
www.fsi-language-courses.com I think

TEL

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version