Diglot
United States
Joined 6255 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 9 of 21
05 October 2008 at 7:02am | IP Logged 
3EB: You don't need Spanish without Toil and Spanish with Ease. They are the same course, just different generations. While their content may be a bit different, they're going to teach mostly the same level of language; if you were to try and work through both, you'd probably become quite bored.

Get one or the other, and then Using Spanish. Also, keep in mind that while the books for Spanish without Toil, due to their age, may be available quite cheap online, the audio may be another ordeal altogether. Assimil no longer sells Spanish without Toil, and I'm not sure how available the recordings are second-hand.
1 person has voted this message useful

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6255 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 11 of 21
05 October 2008 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
Not to be difficult, but how exactly do you plan on "shadowing" both the old and new versions of the course, if you only get the book for Spanish without Toil? :-) Shadowing involves listening to the audio and speaking at the same time, obviously.

awake
United States
Joined 6445 days ago

406 posts - 438 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Spanish

Message 13 of 21
05 October 2008 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
3EB wrote:

Do you think it would be a waste of time to read
through the book and dialogs? Spanish isn't so hard to pronounce, so if the dialogs are somewhat different
from the newer releases they would probably be useful. Also, Arguelles claims that the older courses generally
have more comprehensive written material.

There is a slight chance I will be motivated to buy Without Toil with cassettes and convert it to MP3, but from
what you are saying it's probably not worth it (presuming I have audio for Using and With Ease).

I think the without toil books would probably be a fine addition to your study scheme. you can usually find them
for a very reasonable price.   Unfortunately, the audio is very hard to come by.   If you can find the recordings that
go with the without toil courses I'd say snatch them up (or at least send me a message so i can ;)

rafal
Diglot
Groupie
Poland
besmart.pl
Joined 6663 days ago

83 posts - 85 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC1
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 15 of 21
06 October 2008 at 3:52am | IP Logged 
No, it isn't available anywhere online or I just haven't found it yet. And I haven't seen cassettes but only vinyl recordings for the 1950s course.

Here are my thoughts about making legal copies of old Assimil sound recordings.

As for quality of Spanish Without Toil: I have the old Spanisch ohne Mühe, that is a German edition of the same course. It's so much better than the newer, utterly boring With Ease one. It seems harder but it's much more entertaining.

Bear in mind that there might be some outdated vocabulary in the older course but even in With Ease, which is originally from 1985 I believe, you'll find el transistor for radio...

Edited by rafal on 06 October 2008 at 4:05am

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version